1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Voluntary morality!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Very GKC! And now I would expand GKC as G.K.Cheeniya! Loving the term 'voluntary morality'.I suppose I fall in the category of the 'reflexive morality' group.

Your key note speaker was just doing what many do. Not practicing what he preaches. I know of a roaring voluntary service organisation with much rules, morals and fellowship. Sadly, we once happened to see a Tata Sumo knocking down a young man while trying to speed a red light. And then racing away not stoopping to take him to the hospital. The irony was, while the car sped past, the rear window had a decal which upheld the moral service values of that organisation.

This is but the way of the world.

2. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

Nice choice of subject for making one think.. Voluntary morality indeed is the only way people could raise their dignity and stand high apart from the normal crowd.. I think as human beings, we should use our own judgement to decide whether or not to execute an action. Only babies need to be told not to do something, because they are still ignorant of the aftermaths. Also, some of the seemingly harmless & actually harmless break-the-rule activities donot prick any more because it is done so much often - I would think the cellphone & crossing yellow line would probably belong to this category. I guess this is what happened to the notable guest of honour, though I would still like to believe & hope that within the organization he never stepped on anyone's shoulders or risked someone's else's life/career to go up the hierarchy.

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya
    PGW and GKC are two writers who command my greatest admiration and respect. I feel overawed by their sheer mastery over the language. Your calling me 'GK Cheeniya' is perhaps the greatest praise that I have received for my humble writing skills. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Practising what one preaches is becoming increasingly more difficult and perhaps that's why we see so many breaches! All these stickers of these charitable organisations have come to be regarded as some kind of social recognition. We cant expect these stickers to instil any more sense of discipline than what people are born with!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear Gayu
    "Voluntary morality indeed is the only way people could raise their dignity and stand high apart from the normal crowd"
    That's indeed well said! I agree with you that there is a certain amount of laxity in observing rules that we are prepared to wink over. The laxity itself has no definite boundaries. It may be minimum in the cases of people in high positions but quite substantial in the case of a common man. And getting used to minor breaches may eventually goad us to commit greater ones with a feeling of impunity!
    Sri

5. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sri

That was a very interesting narrative...I just hope the senior member of the organization gets to see this blog. It is very very true that we loose respect for such people.

Gayathri.

6. Cheeniya

Dear Gayathri
    Thank you for your comment. Let alone our losing respect for such people, they lose their self-respect too! I guess that respect is not in the agenda of such people at all!
    Sri

7. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

A very valued point.

I liked this sentence very much. Often we see, people preach so many things but when it somes to personal issues they say "rules are meant to be broken". Even the so called NRI as soon as they touch the motherland, they spit, commit nuisance etc on the roadRantThere should be a conscious effort from each individual and men (no offences meant) are the worst in lacking civic sense.

We have a residential school in my neighbourhood. We just cannot walk past the building without closing our nostrils imagine the plight of the kids. The school suthorities decided to put tiles of gods on the compound walls but till date the same is still continuing!!!!!!!!!!

8. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Dear cheeniya sir,
    That was well said.This post of yours evokes so many thoughts in me.
    Sometimes I wonder whether laws were made only for the poor so that petty thieves could be punished and dragged on the road,be pelted with stones by the angry mob,while greater thieves flourish and enjoy adulation and bigger rewards in public life.
    As I am penning this to you,my dear Sir,my husband is sitting in the hall glued to the TV where supporters of various parties proclaim ,"We have got so many number of MPs with us" etc.It is an open secret that MPs are being sold and are willing to be sold.What moral right do we have to tell the youngsters ,to be honest and be conscientious and all.Murderers and convicts are happily and proudly presenting themselves,or I would rather say,preening themselves before the entire nation and our national leaders some of whom have impeccable records as honest politicians whose integru\ity is of the highest order can not do anything,they smile sheepishly.
    I do not know if what I have written is in relevance to the pointed question you have raised,this issue was in my mind and you have given me an opportunity to share my thoughts with you.
    Regards
    mithila kannan