1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vitamin supplements for Toddlers

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Sravanthi28, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Sravanthi28

Sravanthi28 Silver IL'ite

My 3 year old DS has very low immunity levels and he suffered severe attacks of cold and fever very frequently. Unfortunately we have to give him anibiotics many times.I introduced dabur chawanprash, garlic, amla in his diet. he has been okay since.Both my pils are doctors and they suggest vitamin and iron supplements. Is it necessary for kids to take supplements daily? i know my kid is a picky eater and not receiving enough nutrition from his diet but i am still contrary to daily supplements. what do you, experienced mothers suggest? My kid passed motion thrice and i gave him medicine before leaving home. my mil who is now visiting bought 2 more medicine bottles for safe side. i am like :bonk, worried how many doses he would have before i reach home. smsed dh to discourage medicine.

2. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

Dont dont give him antibiotics.....his appetite will decrease.

What i suggest according to my experience is start giving him honey in warm milk. Honey and tulasi improves immunity.

Add dry fruit powder, tulasi and ginger juice in milk and boil and honey when milk remains a bit warm and give it to him regularly and esp before going to bed.....i am sure his cough and cold will decrease and thereafter stop.

I am doing this for 6-7 mths now....he has no cough and no runny nose....still sometimes when he shows signs like sneezing frequently i give him this.

Continue him on chyawanprash, garlic, and amla (the candy ones).
    Believe me, my son had same problem he was just 3 yrs then....Antibiotics were of no use.. cough and cold kept coming back....

p.s.: also you can add mint leave juice.

1 person likes this.
  3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@sravanthi I am also like you. I dont like giving daily vitamin supplements. I would rather ensure DD gets her vitamins and iron from her daily food. My DD is also a poor eater. Now I give her vitamin supplements (as recommended by paed). Iron, I ensure she gets it in her food.

My suggestion would be to give him vitamin/iron supplements till his immunity levels build up. Once you feel he is better, stop the supplements and switch to regular nutritious food.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

Ohhh.... i forgot powdered cardamom...You can add that too in the milk.

Make small balls from bajri flour (Millet flour), jaggery, dry ginger powder, and ghee.......best source of IRON.

5. Sravanthi28

Anila,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am not aware antibiotics decrease the appetite. It takes a lot of effort even to make him eat 2 biscuits. very stubborn guy. btw ... me too very picky eater as a kid (i dont have anyone to blame except me :( genes phew) . He doesnot like milk, so again i need to cook up all stories and make up drink with watever ingredients you suggested. Anyways, i will start following your suggestions. I dont know about mint leaf juice, i would like to incorporate that too :)

6. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

If he does not take milk....just give him a mixture of honey, ginger juice, tulasi juice, and mint juice.

7. Sravanthi28

Ramya,
    same pinch :) I guess most of the mothers share our opinion. If paed suggests, its okay, but making my DS take supplements all 365 days is worrying me. He too is sick of taking medicine eveyday. Forcing him to eat dates, curry leaves, jaggery.Its his wish, he will outright reject them somedays.

8. Sravanthi28

Anila,
    Thanks a lot for the prompt response. I would definitely try this mixture. is there any specific ratio ?

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  10. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

2-3 drops of everything in one tablespoon honey. Sometimes only honey is okay.

This is just my opinion.