Visiting switzerland : Need tips please

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by vidhukumar, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re: Visiting switzerland/europe: Need tips pls

Dear Vidya,

Yes go ahead and start planning then. Not sure about apartments but i can give you tips on how to cook a whole meal in a ricecooker( apart from the mixed rice varieties) if you like. Check the Swiss electrical convertor stuff, and carry a small rice cooker with you.

Also for the baby here is a list of things that you can order ina restaurant and give safely:
    French fries, baked potatoes, mac and cheese, pasta( the shells or macaroni or any small pasta) with sauce, yogurt ( fruit flavored) , pancakes with syrup, muffins. Thats all I can recall. In England, there are a lot of Indian restaurants so , one meal was Indian and i gave him apart from the usual idli /dosai, alooparatha also. But I managed without any Gerber bottled food or cereal. And that was a great help not having to carry the extra load .

Vandhana

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    my inputs on ur trip.....apartment type hotels are expensive....like the others have suggested go for the cooker and carry pastes etc. Lots of indian restaurants, europe and especially Switzerland has lot of indian things, should not be a problem. If you plan to land in Zurich, try to get into Interlaken and stay there...from there visiting Jungfrauhoch, the highest tip will be easier. If you think u will not be visiting the topmost mountains, settle for staying near the lake areas. First decide where will be your stopover, there are plenty of info on net, look and decide on the places you would like to stay, visit.
    But all said and done, you will enjoy the stay and can easily relax, since there is so much of nature around you! How many days do u think u can stay!?

3. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sudha,
    Thank you for the inputs. Will defenitely share my hubbys experience in this space after his safe journey and return.

4. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

hey ladies!!
    wanted to ask you all,how long does it take to get visa?since we dont have much time,i guess we should apply right away!....vandhana could u pls share ur rice cooker recipes pls!...thanks aishu,i shall wait for ur hubbys experience....thanks for ur tips sudha....will check out prices of apt vs hotel&let u all know,for others who might want to travel....

5. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

what about the language?can we manage with english?

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Vidya,

Just PMed you the details. But just so you know and for the benefit of others: i have made the following in the rice cooker:
    Rava upma, arisi upma, plain molagu rasam, molagukuzhambu, maggi noodles, instant maggi/knorr soups.

Vandhana

7. Sangeethabala

Sangeethabala New IL'ite

Hai Vidhu,
    Iam living in Lausanne,Switzerland--Now a New IL member.
    Travelling Swiss in Nov\Dec is not an ideal time that too with a 1 yr old,sorry for this discouraging tip--but u know it will be too cold and if u dare to enjoy the winter peak--every mountain u go will be 100% snow covered and mostly they will be closed for winter and u cannot enjoy the scenic beauty(greenaries)!
    But if u wud like to go for sledge run and enjoy the snow maybe i shall post u some good places that u can definetly go for!
    There r Special trains(Glacier Express) that takes u thru the snow scenic places around!
    But i wud say the good time to :goodidea: visit Switzerland is between May to September where u can enjoy the real nature trip with beautiful green valleys and snow-cap mountains.
    Keep u posting,:wave
    Sangeetha.

8. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

dear sangeetha,
    thanks for your tip!yes i have already changed my mind about going in nov-dec,after suggestions from fellow IL'ites,instead we are planning to go this may.
    vandhana,i got ur recipes thanks a ton!
    thanks for ur info vidya...i will wait for more info..pls take ur time....

dear sudha,vivbass,vidya&others.....my hubby suggested we take the package tour from costco...as i was going through the itinerary....it does not mention the sphinx observatory,ice palace&ice platue...but they leave us at 'Lucerne',where we are free to visit whatever we like..is this sphinx observatory etc...close by from 'Lucerne'?how long will it take to go&come back?do you think this place is significant in our trip,as this would be once in a lifetime trip(we would rather go to other places next time).....
    this costco tours are charging $1525/person for 9 days(excluding flight) but they will take care of luggage accomedation etc...&provide 12 meals&a/c coaches throught with tour guide etc...do you ladies think its worth it?or should i try to make arrangements on my own?the only reason why we are thinking of taking a conducted tour is coz of our baby.....we dont want to get lost or take any tension during the holiday with the baby(like run to catch a train etc....)pls give your valueable suggestions.

9. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hi,
    the observatory,icepalace everything in oneplace,on top of the jungfronju mountain.

10. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    It does look a bit expensive.....but since u have a little one , it is better to avoid a lot of stress, in finding a restaurant or getting hold of sight seeing tours etc. I think you can go for it, if you are unable to find anything a bit cheaper. At least you have a guided tour and saves a lot ofheadache and they will take care of everything and u can just relax and enjoy!