Visiting switzerland : Need tips please

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by vidhukumar, Apr 10, 2007.

1. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Re: Visiting switzerland/europe: Need tips pls

Well ladies, input fromGermany.....
    Mac donalds has stopped VEGGI BURGER for good.....so that is out....some probs due to th oil is what i heard. As far as i know it is out from germany, will check out in switzerland....
    As Vidhya has pointed out it will be very cold....temp may go into minus....hope you will have enough warm clothing and boots to walk on snow.
    Carry a lot of these ready to eat MTR packets.....you will find them here also in Srilankan shops. From last year Germany has changed, rotis are avalable, and even mtr foods r available. Geneva should have srilankan shops....so eating should not be a major problem. Will u be only in geneva or have plans to move all over?
    Feel free to ask whatever u want.....

2. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sudha,
    As for as my hubby, hes gonna be only to Geneva, since its a businnes travel and gonna be tied with his work and meetings. He may visit some places, but major concern is about Geneva where he will spend most of his time.

I checked the temp reports for Geneva, but it shows something around 6C.But you have emntione that the temp will be minus, Is is so cold during APRIL - MAY???? He will be there entire MAY.

Let me know if you have any inputs on the do and donts for travel to GENEVA.

Thank you

3. sudhavnarasimhan

Hi Aishu,

NO NO , weather is fantastic now in May....no probs at all. I too visited geneva in april only.....very pleasant weather,. I was talking about Vidhu with her kid, in nov, dec.......thats what i had written abt......but last year winter was not like ûsual, we did not have snow and temps were not low at all here.....so who knows abt this year?

If your husband is here in May and for business visit, it will not be a problem at all....Geneva is a beautiful place, with lakes etc. I am sure there will be srilankan or pakistani owned shops where nowadays all kinds of indian foods are available, even ready to eat.....it should not be a problem.And a small cooker for rice and some podis shld help....yoghurt is available in plenty , or some pastes should help.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  4. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

thanks ladies for all your info!the write up was detailed......yes i shall think over going in nov-dec.....maybe i should skip this winter&aim for next spring/summer(but my hubby&me already have big dreams of visiting swiss this yr....we may be a little dissappointed:( )....will let you ladies know....i will pm for further details as&when i need....in the meanwhile any other info from anyone else is welcome!!thanks again
    vidhu.

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Viji,

That was a great write up. You have given all the details so well. Very helpful for all of us planning a trip to swtizerland. Only I have to find one fault with you!! NO PICTURES? It will be nice if you could post a few pictures of your trip if you have them.

Thanks
    Vandhana

6. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hello vandhana,
    thanx for ur compliments,this credit goes to my hubby:2thumbsup:,he wrote all the train info from home itself,2 months b4 itself he did all the things,well planner.
    oh iam sorry reg.fotos,v had send the Dvds to india,so v r not having anything here. i can post it after 2 months.

7. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

hey ladies!!
    do you think we could go to switzerland sometime this end of may?coz we are planning to go to India ,so thought we cud do a stop over on the way....my baby will have completed 7 months&wud be running 8.....will it be ok to travel with such a baby?

8. sudhavnarasimhan

Hi Vidhu,
    weatherwise it will be good......depends on howmuch you want to see......and how you will be able to cope with a 8 month and sightseeing. Well i cant advice on that area as i have a teenager.....lets see what the others have to say.
    But if you are fully prepared with the food requirements for ur child etc, and if u plan to take it easy on the sightseeing front , it will be a good holiday! i dont know how it will be with and for the young ones on the highest mountains in the world?! ou may find difficulties in carrying a child around na?:confused:
    cannot honestly advise on that front , sorry!

9. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Vidya,

That is a excellent idea. The advantages: you will save money on your tickets. But please do make sure that the airline by which you are going to India willnot charge you extra for the stopover. So consider flying Swiss Air ( since it is their HUB, they should not charge extra).

Regarding travelling with a baby. I would say go for it if you are confident. I have travelled with both my kids when they were 6 months and 8 months. With the older one we went to Canada, and the younger one we did a stopover in London on our way to India. Spent a week in London and surrounding areas. I think this the right age to travel with kids. They are no hassel travelers at this age. No crankyness, no crying and throwing tantrums, no running away from you. etc etc.. They will just sit or sleep in the stroller and come happily. And ofcourse will be happy if you carry them for a little while. Since you have anyway started with solids, food will not be a problem. You should be able to manage .

As for the local climate and other details, I think Sudha and Viji have given plenty of information.

Have fun
    Vandhana

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  10. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

hey vandhana!
    that was very encouraging!!!actually was hoping someone would say that as we have already built castles in the air!!myself&my hubby have to seriously start planning since we dont have much time!!!as sudha said,i'd just like to know from someone if it babies would be comfertable on top of mountains?and also if anyone could tell me about prices for apartments....i thought if we cud rent an apartment i cud whip up a quick meal&carry it with us for the day,since being a veg,we have very limited choices everywhere.....our main motive is to relax&enjoy nature.....coz once we go to india it will be very hectic!visiting temples&relatives etc...moreover i am taking my baby to india for the 1st time so i dont think we will get any time to relax.....so my hubby wanted a few days to relax.....so we are not keen on covering all the places....wud just like to visit the best places is a relaxed way....more inputs are welcome.