Visiting switzerland : Need tips please

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by vidhukumar, Apr 10, 2007.

1. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

hi ladies living in europe/switzerland(or ladies who have visited these places!
    we are planning a trip to switzerland towards the end of this year....pls tell the places to visit&other details and share trip experiences.....

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Re: want to visit switzerland/europe tips pls

Vidhu,

I lived in Europe for eleven plus years. Can help with some of your questions, as best I know. Am very busy now. Please give me a week or so, I will reply.

Indian vegetraian food in Europe is difficult to come by and very expensive. Rgular veggie sandwiches, falafel etc are available, but expensive again(food is costly in Europe). I personally carry the smallest size rice cooker and make rice in the hotel room. Also carry podis, pulikachal etc. Milk, yogurt, fruit, crisps etc are cheap and easily available. So also pizza, French fries etc.

Let me know when exactly u r planning to travel. I will try to give some proper tips.

regards
    Vidya

3. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

Re: Visiting switzerland/europe: Need tips pls

hi vidya,
    thanks for ur prompt reply.....pls take ur time&give me details....i wil be travelling with a baby...he is around 6 months now......we are planning to travel....around nov-dec..he will be over a yr then....we are mainly interested in switzerland....and are more interested in enjoying nature.....relaxation is the motive.....yes even i carry rice cooker to places where i know indian food will not be available...so shall defenitely do that.....apart from that....pls tell me about the places,climate&tips on travelling with 1yr old....pls take ur time.....thanks

4. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Vidya,
    My hubby is travelling to Geneva this month end - business trip.Im very worried about his food, since we are vegetarian.Are there any Indian hotels in Geneva? Can you gimme a glimpse abt things to do and dont,(abt flight travel and accomodation), while you answer for vidhukumar.

Im most worried since this is his first overseas travel.Had it been US , nothing much to worry.But Geneva is a bit scary to me.Please help me out to help my hubby.

Thanks in advance.

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Let me add one thing here.
    The Mc Donalds in Europe sell a vegetarian burger. These burgers are good and made purely with vegetables and is quite filling.
    Thought I would add this bit of info here for this is not the case in the American Mcs. So if worse comes to worst, this piece of info may be helpful.

L, Kamla

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Aishu,

No need to worry at all abt going to Geneva. In the food front, at least. I have lived and worked there for 6 months (about three years back) and it is a safe and beautiful place. My husband is going there next week. I will get the names of Indian restaurants for you. More details, I will post later in the day. Try to join yr husband when he goes to Geneva. I am sure you romantic, young couples will enjoy the trip.

More practical ideas later.

regards
    Vidya

7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Vidhu,

I am glad you carry the rice cooker, and as Kamla rightly said the veg burger is awesome. I am just wondering,

1) will Nov Dec be too cold to travel with the one year old? I am not trying to discourage you. Maybe Kamla can shed more light on this. Hotels will have heating, but when travelling outside, wont the baby feel cold?

2) Also, pls remember that many trips (sight seeing etc) close for winter. And Geneva is a lot of outdoor sight seeing.

My husband is going there next week. Let me try to get some latest brochures for you and will post the tour schedules.

Pls give me some time.

regards
    Vidya

8. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hello vidhu,
    herewith iam attaching my trip to swiz,pls give me ur opinion abt this,hope it'll help u a bit.:)
    View attachment SwissTour.doc

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Vivbass, Vidhukumar,Aishu,

Vivbass- Great travel essay. All covered.

Vidhu and Aishu- I think Vivbass has given all details. So, I will not post anymore on this. Any specific questions, please pm. I will try to answer.

10. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

thank u vidhya:)