1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Visiting PIL house during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by swathik22, Jul 15, 2013.

1. swathik22

swathik22 Junior IL'ite

Hi friends,

I am now 7 months pregnant. Till now I have not visited my mom's or inlaws place. I am staying wid my DH. According to the customs, I have to visit inlaws place and then only go to my mother's place.

But my inlaws are telling me that i can't stay at their home in 8th month because it will be my first visit after i got pregnant. So they are asking me to travel in 9th month and come to their home. Is it true? Can't I stay in inlaws place during 8th month? Did any one come across this custom anytime?

I am little scared to travel after 9th month as they tell it is risky to travel in 9th month. So pls let me know if there is any such kind of custom of not visiting inlaws for the first time during 8th month of pregnancy?

2. nicegirlradhi

nicegirlradhi Gold IL'ite

OP, if your in laws are not welcoming you, dont go there. And yes your concern of travelling in 9 month is also true. So please tell them that you will be visiting your inlaws place after delivery. if you have any apprehensions, you can discuss this with your DH and let him convey this message. Dont let the customs strain you at tender stage.

Happy pregnancy

1 person likes this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Yes there are customs that doing something auspicious in the even months isn't good. Or rather auspicious things are only to be done in odd months. Can you travel this month itself to your ILs place / parents as a token first and then go as per your initial plan? IMO there is no point having misunderstandings with your ILs because of this.

Have a safe delivery
    xx

4. swathik22

swathik22 Junior IL'ite

hi guesshoo..

I have suggested the same thing to my MIL. But she was telling even 7th month is not good. So i cannot go to their house this month also. That's why am thinking what to do :(

5. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

Don't let customs trouble you at this phase. Discuss this with ur DH and let him tell his parents that ur gynec advised you NOT to travel in ur 9th month. Let him tell them that either u r visiting them now, or u r directly going to ur mommys' place. By the way, why didnt ur mil tell u about "can not visit ils in 7th and 8th month" custom before hand when u were in ur 6th?

6. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Then don't go at all.... stay at your place or go to your mom's place this time. And when time comes to travel to in-laws in 9th month, simply say, your doctor has advised against it and stay put wherever you are. (I'm assuming your mom will be please to have you, and assist you in the delivery. Or if you go no where, and stay at your place and if your mom visits you, then your husband will be handle the delivery at your place only.)