Visiting Hong kong.

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific - Other Areas' started by padija, Apr 15, 2009.

1. padija

padija Senior IL'ite

Hi gals,
    Planning to visit hong kong this month and i need some info. can anyone help me with the details about how to get around hong kong like is public transportaion good? places to visit( will be travelling with 2 children) nice indian restaurants and areas to avoid :) will be staying there for 3 days. how to ge help if theres an emergency, like we call 911 here in US is there any hotline number for emergencies? your help wud be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Padija:
    You are going to love Hong Kong. It is super clean and safe and very very organized and logical. They have a great mass transit system. When you arrive to to the tourist information center down by the Star Ferry in Tsim Tsa Hsui (sp?) and tell the representatives what your interests are and your time frame and they will make an itinerary for you as not everything is open all the time. If you have kids I would recommend Ocean Park. When you first go into the subway you can buy an Octopus card which can be used for mass transit, entries, even soft drinks in machines. YOu turn it in before leaving and they will refund your deposit. One really good thing I did when I was there was to take the Pink Dolphin tour which you can get from their office in the Star Ferry Building. You go on a tour on a boat into the South China Sea to see the pink dolphins who only live there in entire world. When adult they are avery bright pink like bubble gum.

I had very good success using www.pacificdelighttours.com although the budget tour I got is not longer listed as far as I can tell.

Discover Hong Kong - Official Travel Guide from the Hong Kong Tourism Board

3. padija

padija Senior IL'ite

Hi tashidelek2002,

Thank you so much for the info and the links. i can't wait to visit hong kong :)