Visiting Hawaii.....Inputs needed

Discussion in 'Travel' started by mickeygirl, Nov 30, 2012.

1. mickeygirl

mickeygirl Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,

We have planned to visit hawaii in Jan 2nd week......We have a week time to spend out there....We are planning to visit 2 islands....
    Can anyone help us decide which of them are best..based on your experience....And also must visit places out there in that island?

Thanks in advance:)

2. Sweetgirl123

Sweetgirl123 Silver IL'ite

it depends what you want to do. oahu is ok for just a basic hawaii experience. you can go a bit hiking, a bit surfing, a bit swimming, a bit shopping, a bit of everything. other islands are better for just hiking,nature exploring or what ever you want to do. they are pretty much all expensive. find out what exactly do you want to do in your holiday and work from there. its all beautiful.

3. divyajrk

divyajrk Senior IL'ite

We went to Hawaii's Maui Island recently... It was one of the best trips... But everything there is expensive...
    We visited the
    • Haleakalā National Park
    • Kaanapali Beach
    • Lahaina
    We saw the Old Lāhainā Lūʻau dance show.. We drove to Hana and stayed at Hana for a day.. We also visited the rare and unique Black and Red sand beaches... All the places we visited were extremely beautiful, especially the drive to Hana...

2 people like this.
  4. Kiya

Kiya Senior IL'ite

I have been so far to Big island and Maui, but in 2 separate vacations 5-7 days each.

Maui has a lot of sandy beaches, Big island has fewer beaches, but it has a most recent volcano which if you take a tour might be able to watch lava flowing. Oahu has perl harbor. I liked the snorkeling in Big island, it was very clear waters and very pretty fishes.

Other than this, I guess all island are very similar and have very similar attractions and activities. All of them have snorkeling, Luaus, beaches, submarines, ziplines, horse riding etc etc.. I think hoping between island is just a waste of time in commute check out between hotels and extra price. In my opinion there's so many things to do in each island and you can enjoy a whole week in any island.

Big island:
    1. We had done Royal Kona Luau in Big island. It was a lengthy performance, lots of dances and story narrations. Will recommend that if you are going to Big island.
    2. Drive to Hilo and see all the water falls, very scenic.
    3. Drive to volcanic national park, also try to go for the green sand beach.
    4. If snorkeling try the sea quest adventures. or Atlantis submarine if you dont snorkel.
    5. If you like to watch the night sky, take a tour to Mona Kea observatory.

Maui
    1. we did the Royal Lahaina because it was cheaper than lauau shows. Very basic luau show, may be 6-8 dances, no story narration, but the food was good. I would recommend Hyatt drums of pacific Luau if you dont mind paying a little more.
    2. We did snorkeling with Maui snorkel tours. They are very good, and very helpful with swimming beginners. or try Snorkeling cruises or Atlantis submarine.
    3. Hana - we too stayed 1 day there at Hana Accommodations. The sunrise over the beach across just across the street from there was an awesome view.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    3 people like this.