visiting chennai with a child with food allergy

Discussion in 'Chennai' started by srinivasanmy, Mar 13, 2013.

1. srinivasanmy

srinivasanmy New IL'ite

I am visting chennai in May-June. My son is 11 years old and is allergic to milk, eggs, nuts, channa dal (besan), coconut. I am staying with my parents and plan to eat mostly at home. He does like to eat out occasionally. Any suggestions on restuarants that will be accomodating and will prepare food without these ingredients.
    He can eat dosa/idli but I am afraid of cross contamination with channa dal-.

He is not vegetarian. I can take him to tandoori places to get tandoori chicken. I am a vegetarian and do not even know where to go.
    Also, if he has a reaction and needs to go to the hospital, which is a good children;s hospital in chennai.

Thanks

2. vijikrish

vijikrish Gold IL'ite

First of all, when you reach Chennai check with your local pediatrician in your area for good hospital for emergencies. I always checked with Apollo hospital, you can mention he his American citizen, will separate patients. Keep benedryl and epi-pen always handy...make sure you know how to use epi-pen.
    Do not go small/cheap restaurants...go to always reputed one, tell server that you need to talk to floor manager and explain your son allergy. Feel free to check with Chef if you have doubt about channa mix or go to even kitchen to talk to cook. I have 11 year old severely allergic to nuts and i have visited chennai with above precaution. My DH is never shy to ask questions and he will walk to kitchen to talk to chef/cook if necessary. Take lot of packaged food like protien bars, so you have alternate. I have been saravana bhavan and ordered idli/dosa but made sure they dont mix sambar or chutney spoons that might have been contaminated with nuts. HTH's

3. srinivasanmy

srinivasanmy New IL'ite

Any recommendations on restuarants that have been helpful to you?