Visiting Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by t_sireesha04, Mar 12, 2008.

1. t_sireesha04

t_sireesha04 Junior IL'ite

Hello,
    Myself and my husband are planning to visit Amsterdam this April.

I have few concerns...
    1. Is 2 days enough for visiting only Amsterdam?
    2. What are places to visit in Amsterdam or nearby??
    3. Is there any package tours available for 2 days only??
    4. How much it would cost from Paris to amsterdam, food, accomodation etc (approximately).
    5. Is there any Indian resturants in Amsterdam??
    6. Safe place for accomodations??

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

hi Sireesha,

I lived in Holland, so here are my two Euro cents on Amsterdam.

1) Strictly, two days are not enough for Amsterdam. But you can limit your sightseeing to the best spots and make the best of two days.

2) In Amsterdam, there are great art museums with paintings by Rembtandt, Vermeer , Van Gogh etc. These are all MUST sees. The Anne Frank House is something one should never miss. The canal tours are also a must. These can be fitted in one day.

Depending on the season, if you are visiting when the tulips bloom, then Keukenhoffen (the tulip garden) is another must see. That is almost one day. Check on the net for this season, usually April,May.

You can choose to visit Rotterdam, DenHague and Delft which are near Amsterdam. But personally, I feel if u miss these, no harm done. It is a matter of personal choice. Skip Madurodam. Also, the old Dutch recreated towns of Marken etc, you can choose to visit depending on time.

Most tourists to Amsterdam will visit Belgium which is just across the border. I feel you should use one day and do a tour of the city, it is beautiful and historical just like Amsterdam. The Diamond street etc- very visit worthy.

3) I assume package tours for two days should be available. I would advise you to check on the prices.They may cram too much and cost too much.

4) You can take the train from Paris. Depending on when you books, ticket fares will vary. Check the net. Hotel- a decent room with attached bathroom should be anything from 100 Euros to 150 Euros for two persons per day. Again, there are seasonal discounts. Check the net.

5) Indian restaurants are there in Amsterdam. But very expensive. There are vegetarian falafel kiosks. You can take a small 220 volts rice cooker and cook rice secretly in the hotel room. You can buy yogurt, potato chips etc from super markets like Albert Heijn.

6) Amsterdam is a place with lot of drugs. MAke sure you choose a hotel recommended by the tourist board.

Dont miss Amsterdam. It is a dream city, very very romantic. It changes your vision of Europe forever.

Have a great stay.

regards
    Vidya

3. t_sireesha04

t_sireesha04 Junior IL'ite

Hi Vidya ,
    Thanks a lot for the information. It will be very much useful to me.

Cheers,
    Sireesha