Visit to South Africa...

Discussion in 'Indians in Africa' started by highwaystar, Jan 21, 2010.

1. highwaystar

highwaystar Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

My brother is bound to visit South Africa Nxt mnth.I wanted to know abt the stay there.He would be staying in a hotel so would like to know approximately what would be the cost of the hotel stay including food and so.Howz the climate there at present.
    Is South africa pretty expensive??

Lov Preeti.

2. Neesha

Neesha Senior IL'ite

Hi Preeti

We are in summer at the moment. Weather is hot but it rains also so he can carry some warm clothes (jacket etc) also. Hotel prices vary - you have standard, luxury etc. South Africa has 9 provinces (states) and I am not sure where he is going. Is he touring or coming on business? South Africa is cheaper than America or Britain but more expensive than India.
    If you have any specific questions you are free to ask.

Regards Neesha

3. highwaystar

highwaystar Senior IL'ite

HI Neesha,

Thanks for the reply.He is visiting Johanesburg.He's visitng places like pretoria,bloomfontein,Welcom,bothavil. I have no clue where all these places are.He's currently on his business tour but will very soon settle in South Africa.SO thought of collecting some info..Thanks anyways..Neesha are you there on Face book.Will surely be in touch if I require to know anything abt the place.

Preeti.

4. queenathome

queenathome New IL'ite

HI there

Try the various hotel sites..eg SunBreaks | Southern Sun Hotels to get an idea of prices..
    Also the Gauteng tourism website to get an idea of what Johannesburg is like.

Regards
    Shalina

5. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Preeti

I'm South African, and while it is a beautiful country with warm, generous people (with a great sense of humour), please warn your brother to be careful. Violent crime is SA's number 1 problem. People often gloss over this part of my country's profile, or try to play it down, but I feel duty-bound to warn people who are visiting of the possible dangers. It is very different to India - I lived in New Delhi for a year and even though people warned me it was unsafe, I never had a problem or ever felt threatened. South Africa is quite different.

Your brother should be careful to stay within populated, well-lit areas at all times, and minimise his night-time excursions unless he is with a group, and knows where he is going. If he needs help or is lost, it is best for him to ask someone in a uniform for help. He should avoid displaying a camera, cellphone, or other valuables in a way that marks him as a foreigner or tourist. There are many Indians in South Africa, like me, so he should blend right it.

The other unsafe areas are ATMs. ATM crime is incredibly sophisticated in SA, and tourists are often the victims. Here is a link with more information:

ATM Crime Awareness

Here is another link that is very useful; you may want to pass it on to your brother, and ask him to pay careful attention to the section on crime.

South Africa

I wish your brother a great trip, and a great stay. Like I said, South Africa is an incredible country in many ways. I hope he gets to experience that without mishap.

6. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite