1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vishu 2011

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 15, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

[JUSTIFY]Today is Vishu - the day celebrated as New Year by Malayalis and Kerala Aiyers. It normally falls on the 14th or the 15th of April and often coincides with the Tamil New Year.

In our family it is a very special day. Tamil New Year is celebrated by my in-laws' side of the family. We celebrate Vishu and 14th also happens to be my husband's birthday. This year is his 50th birthday. So the celebrations were spread over two days.

Vishu is extremely special for me for two reasons. The first one being that it brings back memories of Vishukani in my childhood and the second, I simply love the sight of the lamp lit up in the early hours of morning and kept in the midst of all fruits, vegetables and grains. The smell of flowers pervading the room is absolutely out of this world. It is indeed the most wonderful way to wake up to a day and an entire new year.

The custom of Vishu kai neetal, where the older members of the family give a token gift to the younger members of the family is very heart-warming and special. It also brings back some amusing memories. There was a time when my sister's parents-in-law stayed in the flat next to my parents'. As a kid my niece was very attached to us and preferred to stay at our place. One Vishu morning we kept trying to get her to get out of bed. But she would have none of it. I got up and went on a round of doing namaskarams to all the elders in both houses. As usual, I was given a token gift by my parents and my sister's parents-in-law. I came back home and quietly whispered in my niece's ears that I had already done namaskaram and collected my Rs. 10/- token from everybody. It had the desired effect. Madam sat up bolt upright in bed and hurried off on her collection rounds. Everyone had a good :rotfl

The traditional Vishu saddiya (feast) consists of the usual Kerala specialities of Kalan, Olan, Avial, Thoran, coconut rice, raw mango chutney rice and a sweet. The sweet in our home is generally Chakkara Pongal, Pal Paysam or Chakka Prathaman. The last of these is an absolute speciality made of jackfruit jam and coconut milk and is enough to transport one into heaven for the next few hours. It is absolutely wicked and delicious. Whenever I have this sweet dish, I am totally uncontactable for the next half hour. Then I am in heaven, the angels are playing the harp around me and all is well with my world. :)[/JUSTIFY]

2. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

good one satchi.I feel like eating whatever you have posted.can you explain me the desserts you have placed here??Is it pradhaman??:crazy:crazy:crazy

3. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Dear Satchi...

Excellent arrangement!!! And a very good narration...

My belated wishes to your DH and my hearty wishes for your festival "Happy Vishu"...

Nice to hear about your collections...it happens with me as well...we get offerings from elders during Pongal Festival...I'm getting reminded to those....:cheers

4. satchitananda

Thanks Malar. It is so nice to see your prompt feedback. Yes, these are really very precious and memorable moments.

5. satchitananda

ChotuMeetu,

Thanks so much for your very prompt reply. What you see in the picture is an arrangement of rice, dals, fruits, vegetables, coins, a mirror which is decorated and lamps.

For Vishu we normally make chakkara pongal (sweet made of jaggery and rice) or pal paysam (paysam made of milk and rice) or chakka prathaman (a sweet made of jackfruit jam and coconut milk). The last of these is an absolute speciality and totally wicked. Whenever I eat that, I am unreachable for the next half an hour - I am in heaven with the angels you see :)

6. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Satchit,

Double Damakka celebration. DH Birthday and Vishu. Very nice May GOD Bless your family a good health and wealth always with ever loving smiles.

7. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hello satchi,

Loved the way you've narrated the 'after-effects' of having chakka prathaman....next half-an- hour in Heaven...angels harping ..so cute:thumbsup

Next I wish you and your family a Happy Vishu & belated wishes for your DH who's turning half-century!!

[​IMG]

:cheers

Saras

8. satchitananda

Hi Sree,

Thanks so much for the good wishes. :)

9. satchitananda

Hi Saras,

Thanks so much for the good wishes. :)

10. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Superb arrangement !!!!!!!!

Happy Vishu and wishes to your dh !!!!!!!!!