1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Visa Issues and Marriage

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sweetshreya, Jul 26, 2013.

1. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

This is happening with one of my friend. She was my neighbor here...

Her husband was on h1 visa in the USA. They got married and she came here on H4. After two years, they went to India on a trip for a month. In India, her husband got his own stamping done and not hers, and told her about it later. He never told her he is doing his stamping. His justification was the project is only for three more months so there was no point taking her along. He intended to fly back in a week and wanted her to stay back in India with her in-laws.

My friend panicked a big time. She says she saw his company's cover letter where it was clearly written that his responsibilities are for 24 months. She couldn't trust his intentions. She took his passport, his documents and fled to her parents. After that she insisted she is not handing it over unless he books the slot for her H4 stamping interview.

This happened some three months back. He never was able to join the project and eventually lost his job, it seems. He and his parents are furious while her side is deeply suspicious. While he says that because the company matters are always uncertain and his project is really for 3 months only, the cover letter was for visa purpose only, etc. She says that she was never told anything about his project being short term, that she had left her whole house the way it is because she thought she is coming just on a vacation and most importantly the stamping, return ticket booking, etc was carried out so clandestinely she fears he is planning to dessert her. His parents were aware it seems, and they only advised her not to tell her anything for time being. Whether it was told kindly or maliciously, I have no way of knowing. :coffee

Although she is now ready for reconciliation, he wants nothing to do with her and is still looking for a job. Looks like he paid just too heavily for hiding things from his wife. :drowning I simply don't know how to take it. They seemed a happy couple when they were here, don't know why her husband hid things or why she suddenly lost all trust. :bonk

Wanted to share this with you friends. What should they/she/he do now? Who was right or rather who was more wrong? Just pour in your thoughts........

1 person likes this.

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

That can only be answered when you hear from both your friend and her H. Both sides will have their version of the incidents. Outsiders/Neighbors can see a happy pic of couple, dont know what goes inside.

3 people like this.
  3. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

Something seems amiss.
    Like if they were really a happy couple, why wasn't the dh confident enough to tell the wifey, but let his parents know???
    If it was just a 3month project , where he would prefer the wife to stay back , it shouldn't be such a big deal in discussing with the wifey .

3 people like this.
  4. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Who asked some one to TRAVEL when they got the visa stamped. There is no need to travel when we have a Visa stamped in the passport.
    Your friend's husband is playing a GAME for sure.
    Regardless of his project length, regardless of if she travels or not, she can always get H4 visa stamped along with him. This doesnt mean that she has to travel along with him when he goes to US.
    A wise and practical and even normal person would get his/her spouse and non-US kids stamped with H4 visas regardless of their plans to travel with him. This ensures their ability to take flight if required over night, without waiting for a VISA stamping.
    Either your friend's husband is innocent of VISA and travel things OR he is playing innocent.

4 people like this.
  5. sweetshreya

Exactly SreeSri.... That is what bugs me. And another thing is they had come to India just on a vacation. Companies rarely terminate your project or delegate you to new ones when you are on leave. And if he knew that the project was only for 3 more months, and he anyways have to go back to India after that time, why did take this trip at all? It wasn't as if there was someone's wedding or someone was ill. :confused2:

On the other hand, I find her reaction of taking the passport and documents, causing him to loose his job, a bit extreme too.

1 person likes this.
  6. sweetshreya

DH spoke to friend's DH. Thats how I've given his version too. And they were our next door neighbors. We would have heard them fighting, if things were so bad between them. :) We saw them practically everyday, and never was there anything that looked wrong with them.

7. sweetshreya

That is the reason she and her family came to the conclusion that he was trying to dessert her and never meant to take her back. And took the extreme steps of confiscating his passport....

8. nicegirlradhi

nicegirlradhi Gold IL'ite

Had i been there in the man's shoes, i would have actually filed police case on wife and got her arrested and claimed all charges.

now even if she might want to get back, but whats the guarantee that she will be accepted back by her husband and in laws? im not sure if she is actually in any better position now.

1 person likes this.
  9. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Your friends hubby is ready to leave his passport and job but not take her back. This is what
    i understand else he would have spoke to his wife's parents and get things done smoothly.
    Your friend must be knowing the real reason. Ask her parents to talk to his parents.

10. sweetshreya

Don't you think they tried that? Police, as well as their lawyers, just told them that his passport and documents are neither lost nor stolen, but in the safe custody of his wife, who is, in fact, a legal secondary guardian of these things. They stand no case (as he is the one denying her a residence by refusing to take her) Law works differently than logic, I guess :)

3 people like this.