Virtual Feast of Diwali Sweets & Savouries - Photo Contest - Oct 27 - Nov 9, 2010

Discussion in 'Photo of the Month - Contest' started by IL_Admin, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Dear Fancylady, Harikasravanthi : Yummy looking sweets n savouries. All the best for the contest.

Dear Mathangi, Vijaya, Shuba, Varloo, Sritas, rpu, Maanasi, Srivigneshram: Lovely presentation of sweets and savouries. All the best.

Thanks to all friends who have appreciated my entry and encouraged me.

2. varshika

varshika New IL'ite

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  3. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Dear Fancylady, Varloo, Soldier, Mathangi, Sritas, Rpu, Maanasi, Srivighneshram, Shubag, Vijaya Sampath

Happy Deepavali to you all. What a virtual feast for eyes...... All your dishes are very well presented. I cant keep my eyes away from the display. Awesome.

Ladies, whoever have made thenkuzhal, they are so nicely done and the color has come out WHITE.... Which refined oil you all use.... is it sunflower/canola/rice/saffola or bran what brand? How the color remains white through out until end of the batter?

We only bought sweets for name sake, as we dont celebrate Diwali this year.

Loved all your sweets / savouries / somasis / bajjis / bondas and the thamboolam of Vijaya.

Best of luck to you all.

Rgds
    Shanti

4. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, whoever have made thenkuzhal, they are so nicely done and the color has come out WHITE.... Which refined oil you all use.... is it sunflower/canola/rice/saffola or bran what brand? How the color remains white through out until end of the batter?

Hello Shanti,
    The Seasons Greetings to on and all in your family.
    Thanks for the lovely FB.......
    I have used Saffola Refined Sunflower oil to do the savouries.
    Regards
    Shanta

Hi friends,
    Thanks one and all for the lovely FB and superb display of the sweets and savouries prepared with love and care this Deepavali and my best wishes to one and all.
    Regards
    Shanta

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010
  5. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hellow Shanta

Thanks for the Greetings. I wish the same to you n family. Shanta does it make any difference between sunflower oils? Why I ask is, we buy Canola oil here. When I made Pokkadam/Muthursaram/Thenkuzhal etc., the first few sorties come out nice and crispy. But later on it looks like oil is consumed and the finish does not come out well. Then I started buying Fortune Sunflower oil for making bakshanams only. But with the continuous batches the later ones will start turn reddish or not crispy.

May be due to store bought rice powder????????? which unlike the freshly powdered rice from the mill makes the difference? My late mom used to powder from the mill and prepare the bakshanams then n there. Very yummy.

Thanks once again Shanta. Is your avtar "Goddess Annapoorni'?

Kind Rgds
    Shanti

6. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Dear Shanti,

Sorry for answering your query..Unlike the mill-ground pachai arisi mavu (in India), here in gulf with ready-made rice powders available in shop the murukkus dont come white in colour altho they are crisp. When I do large quantities of murukkus the oil does not get consumed too much.. and also the colour of the murukkus remain the same throughout, provided you keep adjusting the heat of the oil. Even I use sunflower oil only.!!

PS - I usually do murukkus iwth Nirapara Idiappam/appam powder (4 cups : 1 cup urad dal powder and 1/2 cup melted butter)..I assure nothing can go wrong with this measurement (except that murukkus will not be white in colour).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  7. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

Hi ti all,

This is one interesting contest..Finally got time to post my pics.

I must congratulate all the ladies who've made and posted such yummy and beautiful pics of their sweets.

A big thanks to our dear Chitra Mam - Queen of kitchen !!! Her threads have motivated me a lot.

I prepared sweets of many varieties but in small quantities. Here are the three pics --

1st pic - I made this a night before diwali to send to my mom's home. They are coconu truffles, choco-pista roll, kaju balls, orange burfi ..

2nd pic - I made these on diwali. Coconut truffles, truffles with jam topping, dry fruits choco burfi, balushahi..

3rd pic - Orange mawa burfi and badam roll.

I tried to mix and match from the same ingredients.. Wanted to make chocolate truffles too, but tired then...

4rth pic -- NOT A CONTEST ENTRY. JUST TO SHARE, THIS IS HOW I PACKED SWEETS IN 1ST PIC TO SEND FOR MY MOM.

Hope you like them..

Attached Files:

8. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Deepali yummyyyyyyy sweetss.....liked your display also...Liked the packing idea with a satin ribbon...i can try this next year...!!Wishing you luck dear

9. vijayasampath

vijayasampath Gold IL'ite

Varshika - nice sweets..the last one i.e the indus sweets is presented well..You have made good graphics. Thanks for taking my kaju katli sweets and my diyas for the graphics.

But we are supposed to post only our home made sweets and savouries. Anyway i liked your graphics.

Deepa...yummy sweets.. loved the last one.

shanti ... Thanks a lot .I use sunflow oil that we get here in dubai and rice flour from perumal grocery in bur dubai temple.If you make the thenkuzhal immediately after making the dough it will come out white. Try it dear.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  10. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

vijaya,
    nice to see diwali sweets&saviouires . all the best for the contest.

Dear Mathangi, , Shuba, Varloo, Sritas, Maanasi, Srivigneshram& deepali,
    nice to see all of your diwali sweets and savouries. All the best for the contest.
    Dear Fancylady, Harika,varshika
    Yummy sweets n savouries. All the best for the contest.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.