1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Violence In South Asian Marriages - Another Victim

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Aarushi, Jul 23, 2022.

1. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

In my friends groups we sometimes joke First Generation Indians are more Indian than the Indians in India. I have noticed it is quite true also .

If you read the story the victim is Pak origin, who sometime are also conservative. no one has right to take anyone life. But you must understand Rihana madam's point. Social media shaming is very powerful.

If it is not powerful then why do high schools are talking so much about cyber bulling.

Rihana likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Premeditated murder
    The ex planned it in advance, prepared for it, procured a gun, travelled 700+ miles to her residence and killed her. He shot himself only when law enforcement arrived outside the place. Dried blood on her face indicates that he shot her a while before that. Such murder by an ex is sadly too common. We read everyday about stalking, harassment, intimidation and murder by ex spouses, ex partners and jilted lovers. This is not specific to the South Asian community. The murdered can be a successful movie star or a low-paid store clerk. They throw acid in India, and use guns in USA.

The ex was abusive, manipulative, entitled
    We don't know that. All we know is that he planned to kill her and did that. The rest is speculation. If he hadn't killed himself, he deserved the harshest punishment possible for his act.

Unsupportive South Asian parents
    Aside from her Tik Tok videos, do we know anything about her parents take on her divorce? No, we don't. Further, her videos are a general vent about "lecture in coffee shop" from parents.

Unsupportive (South Asian) Community in some city, USA
    This is laughable. There are tons of support resources for South Asian women. Some narrow-minded people may stop associating with you after divorce and that is their loss.

Blaming Patriarchy
    Patriarchy can be blamed in Pakistan, India, Dubai or the Indian subcontinent where parents confiscate the woman's cell phone, computer and lock her in a room with a servant on 24x7 guard. This woman lived in the U.S. and going by her lifestyle (flight attendant, photography, buying a $3000 camera, active on tiktok..) had the freedom and ability to not enter into a marriage against her will. She was 28, not 18. Pakistani American, not Mormon. Same for divorce. She had access to resources to get through the divorce and start afresh. Parental support during divorce is a nice-to-have for women of her background.

If the 50 or 60 yr old parents are expected to ignore "what will people say", the 22 or 25 or 30 yr old woman should learn to ignore "what parents are saying." Don't they ignore what parents say during their teen years and early 20's anyway?

Forced into marriage in the U.S.?
    I highly doubt it. I can't get my adult child to clean their room, go to a drive-thru car wash, or be home as promised for a long-before-planned dinner party. After the child is 18, parents in the U.S. have minimal control over the child. I pay for college and the child is on my medical insurance till age 26. But after age 18, I can't see college grades and I cannot even call to cancel a dr's appointment on behalf of the child. And get this: if I charge any rent for the adult child staying in my house, I cannot make them leave. They get tenancy rights and I could have to legally evict them even though no lease was signed. And if ever in anger the parent slaps or threatens the teen or adult child, it is called battery or assault.

Chronicling Divorce on Tik Tok
    One has the right to do that but it is not a good idea and not fair to involved parties like parents, in-laws, spouse. Did it lead to her murder? We don't know. If she was not on social media, she could still be dead. It is only a possibility (speculation) that the Tik Tok videos were one of the triggers for the man to plan and carry out the murder.

I see it as a murder of a woman by an angry/ crazy/ jealous ex which happens all too often. It is violence in marriage, violence against women. I don't see what South Asian or patriarchy has got to do with this particular murder.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What you are saying is true of the South Asian community in Nazimabad, Karachi or Jawahar Chowk, Bhopal . Not Chattanooga, TN or Chicago, IL.

4. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

I like the way you dissected all the points.

lot if us still suffer from baggage (maybe it will never leave us. Maybe this pain will only cause us to grow)

I really like your unbiased way of laying out these points.

Of course lot of us will blame the ex and his parents based on our experiences and speculations.

And the ex’s actions point us more towards our speculations based on our bitter life experiences

and @lavani is right, Indians here are more Indian than these from India - plus in my experience we get ridiculed for it. I was called a village girl by my ex who himself was from an a$$ backward village. He is both illiterate and cruel.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If that was true.....the relationship forum would not exist. The large percent of women who post here live in America .

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Threads like this makes me wonder whether the members of this IL forum are really representing Asia or they are from a different community?

Just because I am blessed to live a different, rather independent life doesn't mean everyone in my society has that freedom. It is very important to understand our community, the common values, the traditions, and the practices before throwing any comments based on what we believe in.

In common, the south Asian community is unsupportive, rather stigmatize men & women to stay in the marriage. Divorce is not common, and divorcees are considered unequal.

This forum is a mini sample of what people are going through while battling abusive marriages, and divorce process. The life after divorce isn't very cool for many given the taboos associated with finding the right partner for the second marriage. When culture is so regressive, your location doesn't do any favor in this regard.
    That's why young educated Indian women living in USA come to this forum and vent about abusive marriage or struggle after divorce.
    This is the reality.

Women are considered a liability at her parent's house. Transferred to her in laws' house as a property.

Till date, parents decide for their daughter's marriage and daughters' are raised not to say NO when their parents' chose. It is always believed a father will never make a wrong decision, and his intention will always be right.

Honor killing, and caste based tortures are not happening in Antarctica. It happens in South Asia, in big cities among civilized people.

Till date, female children are opting suicide instead of surviving after a sexual assault. Because they fear their parents & the society rather than their perpetrators.

It is a shame that they can't discuss such experiences with their own mothers, because it is considered a taboo.

It is funny, because our parents think it is alright to be abused, or to live in a loveless marriage rather than to be a shame before the society.
    They may be right, because we live in a society that is expert in victim blaming.

If a girl is raped, we blame her for the dress, for the conduct, but often sympathize with the rapist as if he was a saint but got provoked by the girl.
    The rapist will move on in life after a few years of imprisonment if at all he was convicted. He will get married, have a family, a job & a social life.
    But the victim will perish no matter what.
    Unless she is bold enough to break the social rules, she will have nothing except humiliation & social exclusion as if she had asked for it.
    That's why victims keep mum about the violence.

This social mindset is the reason why women chose to stay put in abusive marriages, and ask their DDs to do the same. Because dying in such a life as a Sumangali is considered better than living in this society as valaavetti/divorcee

Of course there are exceptions, but exceptions do not make the rule.
    When it comes to community as a whole, let's not base our discussions on such exceptions.

yellowmango likes this.
  7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

@Rihana, thnks for that point wise disection of the issue. Made me think and understand my thoughts too.
    Just my 3 cents ( what with the inflation as it consumes us :)
    I havent seen her tiktoks , just read the main news about her so What I say may not be applicable for the person in the news. But even if she want murdered, what her family did wan not right.

Do you remember a poster here ( i will refrain from naming ), who did mention a similar issue with her parents? She came across as well balanced, reasonable , and clear thinking individual in so many of her posts. She is an indian american , married to someone brought up in India, her marriage wasnt "horrible", she just didnt feel the love and respect and couldnt "reconcile" with her husband's mindset, and after trying a lot to settle in for the sake of her child, she wanted out, she felt it was better for her to divorce or she would just get suffocated. And even when she took her divorce she thought it thru. Her parents didnt support her or even understand why she was doing it. The same asian thing -- he doesnt ill treaat you, doesnt have any "bad" habits, why would you divorce him? Making it all the more difficult for her to make that call. Luckily for her, she went with the divorce and managed to set her life on her own terms but that doesnt diminish the fact that our(south asian) " traditional" mindset allows "divorce" only if life is a living hell for women, otherwise just say it is my fate, compromise, and carry on.

We feel our daughter is "adult" enough to "think" and to get married, but not mature enough to "divorce"? Advice, lectures from parents is all ok, but isnt it important to convey, "Please think this thru", "I feel you are rushing this" , "give it more time", whatever.. along with it our support - "Whatever you decide I am there for you" ? Isnt that what a family provides - support when one needs it?
    While this mindset may not just be a "south asian" thing, it is more likely a "conservative" society thing. And is something we should out grow of. Fast

yellowmango and Laks09 like this.
  8. curlytweethere

curlytweethere Platinum IL'ite

Another reason:
    You are anyways living separately just stay like that. Why do you have to file

yellowmango likes this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Two families have lost their adult children forever. They are still dealing with pain from the loss. And they have to deal with the guilt of having arranged this match in the first place.

Must we morph into the char log whose wagging tongues our society fears? Must we dissect their lives based on scarce information, select our villains and verbally stone them? How about extending a little compassion and benefit of the doubt to the grieving parents?

curlytweethere likes this.
  10. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

My sympathies are with the girl and her family only.

In my experience the boy’s side is arrogant from the time a male child is born. They raised this devil (fact is he found her and killed her in cold blood) and they reap what they sow.