Vinayaka Chaviti ?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by EagerForInfo, Aug 31, 2022.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Hello

I know vinayaka chaviti is the biggest celebration in India. But my mother in laws called and said that my husbands grandfathers brother died at 99 years old so we cannot do pooja. Is that true ??
    How do we avoid vinayaka chaviti !!?? That’s ridiculous.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If a close relative on the husband’s side passes away then the tradition is to not perform festivals or poojas for one year after, in our community. The same rule doesn’t hold for bereavements on the wife’s side.
    The tradition would hold true for your MIL’s generation, since it is their direct relative. I’m not sure it will get passed down to your generation, since you are now an independent family.
    Maybe you can consult your priest about the correct protocol for your immediate family.

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@EagerForInfo,

My father died on Vinayaka Chathurthi day in 1987 and since then every year, my wife and I perform rituals first before we celebrate Vinayaka Chathurthi. But we didn't perform any pooja until 1988 after his death. My mother passed away in April 2018 and we didn't perform any festival until April 2019.

4. sociallifein30s

sociallifein30s Gold IL'ite

I think the general sentiment of vinayaka chiviti is that you need to read the story and take the akshata. So many fear skipping the festival altogether. (Otherwise you get the undeserved blame; thats the story)
    So I think you can read the story atleast or keep a youtube video and let it play - if that is the sentiment.

EagerForInfo likes this.
  5. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Yes that is my fear.
    And do we need to consider a 99 year old person that too grandfathers’s brother ????

Of course it is a little late to ask now as it is starting on Wednesday ( though some celebrated on Tuesday) but still asking here. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

6. sociallifein30s

sociallifein30s Gold IL'ite

some people do ya ... depends on the family sentiment.
    Some really dont bother.
    LIke we (as children) were not given limitations on celebrations because ..well ... we were children.
    But a 99 year old is a full life lived and is a happy example. BUt if it is just now, then perhaps they would like to not celebrate as a mark of respect.
    Its personal i guess.