1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vijay Mallaya vs Warren Buffet

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Vijay Mallaya vs Warren Buffet

The latest issue of The Week has Vijay Mallaya on its cover.It covers his lifestyle.Most of it we already know.He is flashy,has a private plane,owns KingFisher Airlines,and lives life Kingsize.

Warren Buffet is the world's second richest man in the world.We know about him too.I would like to draw a comparison between the two of them,their money and their lifestyles,habits,social responsibilities.

VM - He owns Kingfisher Airlines,and many private jets,on which he takes his friends and models to Wimbledon,or the World cup in South Africa.He flies in his private jet most of the time,wherever he goes.

WB - He too owns an airlines,but dosnt travel in it.He travels Business ClassHe dosnt have a private jet,but with his money he can buy a dozen Airlines ,not Aircrafts.

VM - This is his second marriage,as i read,i dont know what happened with the first one,and his son is 19,and was gifted King Fisher last year on his 18th Birthday,and also a 5 crore car.

WB - Also married twice when his first wife died after 40 years of marriage.

VM - Has dozens of homes all over the world,tastfully decorated with the most precious Art work and furniture.And now i hear he is promoting the actrress Pudukone, as old as his son.

WB - Has a 45 year old house,and he is comfortable living in it.

VM - Loves to party all night thru.He says I work hard, and I party hard.He loves to be in the company of socialites,actresses,and young nubile models,at his age of 51.

WB- likes to go home,make some popcorn for himself,and watch TV,a big flat one,which he has recently bought.

VM- Loves to wear the most expensive Watches, chains,rings,and designer clothes,the best that money can buy,with Gold frames for his specs.

WB - wears simple specs, no jewellery.

VM - last year celebrated his 50th birthday, at Goa, with a 5 day Bash.Lionel Richie provided the entertainment and there was a fly past of Kingfisher Jets.For Malaya's 51 st Birthday this year,there was the ship "Indian Empress" anchored among freighters,cargo ships and tannkers at the Gateway of India.The buffed and polished Mumbai elite climbed aboard in their cosmopolitian finery.

WB - Never celebrates his birthday.

VM - is a Rajya Sabha member,and hobnobs with politicians.

WB - Stays clear of politics.

VM - will not donate a ruppee to charity,unless he gets a tax rebate or some publicity.

WB - Has donated all his money to Charity,that is 30 billion dollors or close to 1,25,000 crores of rupees.

Warren Buffet has so much wealth, he can buy off Vijay Mallaya ten times over.He lives life simply.The question i would like to ask u I Lites is this :

If u had as much money as either of these, which lifestyle would u like to live ? Flashy as Mallaya or Simple as Buffet.Before u answer, i would like to tell u what i feel would be the majority of the anwers.

8 out of 10 would go with the Mallaya style.

Me ? I would love the Buffet way of living.Lets see what the I Lites reply.

Kamal Mahtani

2. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

Great comparison... Two richest men.... Two different and contrast life styles... I would neith be VM or WB... Since I am a single women Man and a teatotaler (Hope spelling is correct..).... I cant spend or live like VM... I would definitely enjoy roaming all over the world with my family and absolutely enjoy my life with my family.... taking them to places etc... I cannot think of a private plane and all... It will be too boring... I will be spending a lot in charity... Though I dont know, whether I will be magnanimous to donate all my funds... But yes... I will be donating a huge portion for elderly homes and orphanages....

So, Now, The question is, when are you going to transfer those funds.... for me to enjoy.....:spin:spin:spin....

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Kamalji
    This is a good comparison and a good write up. Prefer to be like WB. Leaving like VM can he sleep peacefully at night he has to take the help of Kingfisher I think so. God know how many people might be looting his money , how many people he might be hurting in life................. Prefer to donate the money to the needy and keep only that much where you can be comfortable in life and be happy with family and friends.

4. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

Very nice writeup - I would never have thought of comparing the lifestyles of these two people - but why not?

As much as I look with awe at WB's philosophy of life and his 'investment acumen', Vijay Mallya evokes equal awe for his shrewd business sense and his 'go-get-it attitude'. And both of them were largely solely responsible for the kind of wealth they created (though Mallya inherited the business, he has taken it to new heights in his generation). Another similarity between them - they dont care that much about what world thinks or expects from them - they do things from their heart. Which is what makes both of them unique.

But that's where the similarities end, as you have pointed out. One is austere and another is flamboyent. And it would be interesting to see how Buffett rates Vijay Mallya's companies! My personal bet is that he would go for them - he is more interested in the passion of the man that runs the business than what he does with life otherwise - and it should not matter if that passion transcends to life, too? What do you say?

Cheers,

Sumathy

5. Jaishree123

Jaishree123 Senior IL'ite

Hi Kamalji

Nice article.
    I like ur write-ups..I never miss out any of ur articles.
    and I keep telling my husband about ur writings and he says (jokingly) that now u got a new boyfriend so enjoy.

If I was rich like these two ..I would love a lifestyle of my own and I will first fulfill my long awaited dreams to go around the world with my family.
    want to buy a lavish house and lavish car.

but I cant continue it for long for sure and will stop it somewhere and start a simple lifestyle.
    I will surely donate part of my earnings to charity.that is also one of my dreams

Thanks
    Jaishree

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Veda,

In fact i was going to ask u, to send me money:-oAfter all u and shanti are closer to Mallaya, as he too is from the south, he will isten better to u, than to me.HAHA.Regards.kamal

Aruna,

Wonderful thoughts,Aruna.Have enough to be comfortable, that is happiness and richness.Thanks and regards.kamal

Sumathy,

You have summed up things so nicely, tht i just cannot add anything to it.Agreed with u, that both are passionate about their work,Well let the two greats meet, and we will know the fireworks soon enough:eek:mg:Thanks .kamal

Jaishree,

So u first want to live a lavish lifestyle and then move to thje simple one.Thats good.

But tell me, whatever best car and house that u buy, dont u think after a year or so, it become sold and outdated, and u want a new one ?One thing leads to another.Regards.kamal