1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vigyani- serial story

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Tamildownunder, May 10, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Episode 12:

Raman started constructing the machine. He initially faced a problem regarding the finer details of the machine as he had to rely on his memory only. But, once he started the work,the details started coming to him in a flow. The villagers took turns to supply food, drinking water to him and some youths were assigned the job of giving protection to him and the shed where the machine was being assembled.

Menwhile, the news of the machine to produce water from air which means a perennial supply, reached the neighbouring villages and people of those villages started visiting Raman to ask him whether he can make a machine for their village too. As the news spread, it reached the towns and brought the newspaper reporters and the news started getting flashed all over Tamil Nadu.

Nearly after fifteen days of concentrated work at last Raman could complete the machine and he sent word for the village chief.

When the chief came, Raman said to him, 'I think the machine is ready to produce water and now you have to decide on the distribution of water. As the machine is located near the pump house you can pump the water from the machine into paddy fields through the existing canals is my suggestion'.

The village chief said, 'What you say is correct, Raman. If we do not distribute water properly, the villagers will start a fight. I will call for a meeting of all concerned and work out a suitable plan'.

A plan was worked out by the chief and in front of all the villagers, the chief pressed the button in the machine after garlanding it and breaking a cocnut in front of it and when the water started flowing out, everyone became visibly happy and some even danced.

Krishnan's man who witnessed the proceedings slowly withdrew himself from the crowd and went behind a tree and rang up Krishnan in Mumbai and broke him the news. Krishnan was silent for some time and he seemed to be discussing with some people. After some time he told the person that they have hatched a plan and to implement it they are coming to the village taking the next available flight to Chennai.

The news of Raman's machine producing water was splashed in all news channels and expert panels were set up to discuss about it. The general consensus was the appreciation of good work done by Raman. But, the panel members differed on further course of action. One member pointed out that to carry out a programme by which Raman's machine would be installed all along the Cauvery delta, enormous resources both in terms of money and man power would be required. There was a difference in opinion on who should provide the resources. Some felt that Government of Tamil Nadu should take it up while some felt that for better efficiency and speedy implementation the programme should be handed over to some big industrial house.

The news of Raman's machine reached St. George Fort, the headquarters of Tamil nadu Government and the CM called for a cabinet meeting to discuss it. In the meeting CM started praising the efforts of Raman and said the Governement should honour him suitably. But, one senior member voiced a serious concern. His point was that their party could capture a sizable chunk of votes promising to get water from Karnataka. In the next election people may not vote for their party as they would give all credit for solving the water crisis to Raman. Also, he felt that producing large number of such machines would take time and cost lot of money. So, he concluded that Government should find out some weakness in the machine and stop Raman from getting the credit. Although CM was good at heart, the opinion of the senior member appealed to him politically.

Right at that time there was a breaking news from the village where Raman's machine is producing water that the water has destroyed the paddy fields, killed some cattle which drank the water and even some persons have been hospitalised after drinking it. It was suspected that the water had acid contamination. The news also gave the information that some people at the village site of the machine are raising slogans like,' Arrest the mad scientist. Stop further damage'.

To be continued.....

2. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Tamil
    That was a nice dig at the rotten political system in out country. How true ! Even when, thappi-thavari, there's a well- intentioned person in public-office, who , thappi-thavari, may want to do some good to the people who gave him the vote, the bigger forces of politicking axe-grinders will silence him. Thalai ezhutthu !

I was relieved when I read that our Hero had managed to set up a working unit at last , promising happiness to the simple villagers - but, the last paragraph ! Poison ? Misfortune again ! Vaazhkaiye verutthiricchu sami !

rgds,
    manjula

3. Tamildownunder

Dear Manjula,

Thanks for your FB on the story. I am trying to bring real life situations in the story. It is easy to portray good things happening all around. But, as you have pointed out thappi thavari if anyone tries to do good he will face all obstacles. How he meets the challenges and come victorious in the end is what is shown in all stories. To quote from P.G.Wodehouse we would like to have 'God is in heavens and all right with the world'.

Regards,

TDU

4. Tamildownunder

Episode 13:

The sudden developments had shattered Raman and he was sitting with his hands on his cheeks. Raman's father used to tell him,'Kappale kavinthalum kannathile kai vaikathe' ( don't keep your cheeks on your hands even if your ship is capsized). But, now Raman is dazed as how the water got acid contamination.

The village chief and the people were solidly behind Raman in supporting him as they were sure that it is some miscreants who have done the damage. Menawhile, the Government had sealed the operation of the machine and posted two police constables for protection. There was a rumour that Government might issue an arrest warrent to take Raman into judicial custody.

As Raman was sitting dazed, the wife of the man who had been hospitalized after drinking the water from the machine, came and let her feelings known to him. She was crying and said,' What harm did we do to you? Who asked you to come to the village and give water? Do you think the amman of the village will let you go unpunished?'. The village chief took her aside and try to convince her that Raman is innocent. But, she turned on him angrily and asked, 'Will you give back my husband if something happens to him?'.

In Chennai, the opposition parties held a meeting to discuss the situation and their course of action. Their main interest was to find out how much political mileage they can get. They came to the following conclusions after hour long discussions. Firstly, if Raman was to be arrested, they should call for a state-wide bandh to protest. (They hoped that there would be police excesses at the behest of the Government during the bandh). Secondly, they would demand the dismissal of the government to the state governer citing the wrong handling of the situation. Thirdly, they would demand a probe by CBI into the whole episode.

At the same time, the cabinet meeting held at St. George Fort decided to go ahead with the arrest of Raman but put the blame on pressure from the Central Government. They also decided to join the bandh and the call for CBI investigation mainly to thwart the efforts by opposition to get popularity among people.

The news of Raman's imminent arrest was telecast as breaking news and reached the village where the people held a 'rasta roko' to prevent the police party entering the village to arrest Raman. But, the police upon arrival fired tear gas shells to disperse the crowd and among the wails of women denouncing the act, Raman was arrested and taken to Chennai.

To be continued....

5. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Hi Tamil
    Things are really hotting up, what with political colours being added to it.

Appuram enna, appuram enna ???? Sadly, cannot aavaludan turn the page here. Will have to wait !

rgds
    manjula

6. Tamildownunder

Episode 14:

The turn of events had upset Krishnan and his men. Actually, Krishnan thought after the acid contamination charge Raman would have fallen from grace and he and his men could take charge of the machine,copy it and send the drawings with photos to the private firm in Mumbai. But, the Government's fast action in sealing the machine and posting the constables for security had put paid to his plans.

He still made an attempt and approached the village chief as he had found him to be the key figure. He introduced himself and said to him,' Raman and myself were colleagues in Mumbai and very close friends. After the demise of his grandfather, Raman had become aloof and withdrawn. He used to talk to himself and utter 'machine to convert air into water'. I was actually working on the machine and so Raman latched on to me and learnt all the secrets. I did not mind it as I pitied him and he used to tell that he wanted to erect the machines in your village to solve the water problem. As I am also from this region, I welcomed it also. But, our laboratory chief and other committee members who have to approve the machine did not approve on the grounds that it requires still lot of tests. Raman got upset and went and broke the machine and other equiments to pieces injuring himself in the process. We admitted him in a clinic where the doctor found that he had become mentally sick and had violent tempers. He even had him chained to the bed. But, somehow he escaped and came here. I had posted an advertisement to warn you people, but somehow he had impressed you. It is no surprise to me that the water got acid contamination. It is because Raman does not know fully about the machine. My humble request to you is to allow us to look at the machine so that we can repair it and you can get pure water'.

All along while Krishnan was talking the village chief thought ' where is Raman and whre is this fellow? Crookedness is written all over him. Raman is innocent and these rascals have tried to stop him or steal the machine from him for their ulterior motive'. So, he said,' don't worry sir, the matter is under CBI investigationand so I cannot allow you to go near the machine. We have a saying that thousand hands may stand blocking but the sun cannot be hidden'. Krishnan and his men returned disappointed and were sulking about the whole episode.

Government took fast action as elections were nearing and CBI committee started its investigation. After questioning several people in the village about their knowledge connected with machine, they tracked down Krishnan and his men and interrogated them thouroughly. After a week the team of CBI went to Chennai and met Raman who was under police custody. Raman was thankful to the police for the decent way in which they treated him giving him proper food, beddings, fan, books to read, mobile phone etc.

The CBI officer asked Raman about someone met him immeditely after the machine started operating. Raman thought for a while and remembered a person who came introducing himself as the local health inspector. It just dawned to Raman how the acid contamination might have happened. The person who posed as health inspector insisted that they do chlorination of water for purification. Although Raman had installed Ultra Violet lamp giving radiation to purify, he did not want to stop the person as he did not doubt him. What actually had happend was the person, one of Krishnan's stooges, had added chlorine at the inlet of the machine where air is being sucked. Since the machine produces Hydrogen the Chlorine had combined with it to form Hydrochloric acid and got mixed with water. There was a scientist in the CBI team who agreed with Raman's explanations and the next day Government accepted CBI report and released Raman.

To be concluded.....

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  7. Tamildownunder

Final episode:

As Raman got released, he was joined by his wife and daughter to his delight. When things happen they happen all at a time. Here, as Raman and his family were enjoying their get together and the Government was wondering what is the next course of action, the rain Gods opened out in the Cauvery regions of Karnataka. The dams started overflowing and the Karnataka Government had to open the dams and allow water into Tamilnadu rgion. The Tamil nadu Government made use of this and posters sprang up all over Chennai praising the Chief Minister for getting the water in Cauvery river.

Raman and his family were called to St. George Fort and a function was organised to falicitate Raman. The Chief Minister siad on the occassion,' We are indeed fortunate to have a great scientist from our state who have invented this wonderful machine. First of all we apologise to him for the ordeal he had to go through. But, now that we have got water in Cauvery river, these type of machines have another big use. In many districts like Kanyakumari, Ramanathapuram people are struggling to get drinking water. Especially our women in these areas have to go 10 to 20 miles every day to fetch water. So, The Government has decided to install these machines in these districts to start with (There was thunderous applause from the gathering to this announcement). We have already sought funds from the central government and we are going to approach world bank also. State Government has formed a drinking water board and Dr. Raman will be the chairman of the board (again thunderous applause). Now I present this shawl and cocanut to Dr.Raman'. Cameras flashed, TV cameras rolled as Raman received from the chief minister the shawl and the cocanut amidst standing ovation.

The chief minister then invited Raman to say a few words. Raman said,' To day is the golden day in my life. My long cherished dream of getting water through science has come true. I need not have to emphasize that scientists can shape the destiny of mankind. Today, the fruits of scientific inventions in the form of computers, internet, mobile technology, satelite communication have changed our way of living. But, still the basic necessities like food, water and shelter are elusive to many. I dedicate my life in inventing suitable machines to meet all the basic necessities. (Mrs. Raman seated on the dais next to the chief minister told him jovially,' he has started dreaming his next machine'). Honourale chief minister told that he is making me the chairman of drinking water borad. I am sorry I have to decline the offer. I am going back to my village and spend the rest of my life in educating poor people. I want to start a science college and offer education free to all poor students. I am glad that my wife here is joining me in this mission. I want the college named after my grandfather who had devoted his entire life in educating people although with his english language proficiency he could have joined the then British Government and ended up as a top official'.

The chief minister again took the mike and announced that Raman's wish to start a science college is being supported by the Government amidst another round of thunderous applause. Raman and his family took leave of the people there and proceeded to Egmore station to catch the train that will take them to the village back.

Once Raman is released the Government removed the police security to the machine. Krishnan and his men made use of the opportunity and sneaked into the shed housing the machine and started dismantling and copying the parts. Nature has its own way of delivering the justice. Natural justice was served on Krishnan and his men in the form of fast floods in Cauvery water due to heavy mansoons and the water released by the Karnataka Government. They were washed away and their bodies were recovered later on the banks of Cauvery river and ironically near the village to which Krishnan was belonging.

Early morning in a village in the cauvery delta. One of the residents, Anjalai gets up hurriedly as she was late for pouring water in the front yard and draw her favourite kolam. Even as she opens her door and enters the front yard with a bucket of water, a broom and a small box with kolam powder, she notices people in groups standing and talking. Also, she sees quite a few people walking on the road leading from village and going to the railway station few miles away. Overcome by curiosity, she catches hold of a boy and asks what is going on. The boy replies, ' Vigyani Raman and his family are coming from Chennai. All people are going to the railway station to receive them'. Anjalai quickly draws a Kolam inside which she scribes 'Long live Raman and his machine' and joins others to proceed to the station.

The end

8. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Dear TDU sir,

you choose an excellent story and very good write up. its very interesting to know about some thing which i have never heard.
    The answers which u gave to Manju's Q have almost cleared my doubts and got a very good idea of its working.

I look forward to some more interesting topics from you.
    wishing you all the best :2thumbsup:

cheers
    sreelatha

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear TDU,

When I saw you announce the final episode of Vigyani, I at once made it a point to read it and also the previous episode. The story surely bears strong strokes of a scientist writing it! Only a scientist could give such a full insight to another scientist's plight and the sort of hurdles he could face.
    The story went smoothly forward and made a very intersting and absorbing read. I admire your conviction to write and hope it is ok when I say that the latter part had a more natural flow to narration.
    I liked the picturesque reference to Anjalai at the beginning and at the end of the story. That surely gives a refreshing touch to your story telling.
    Nice one Tamildownunder and I await more now from you. :-D

L, Kamla

10. Tamildownunder

Thank you, sreelatha. I need appreciations and wishes from you in my story writing. I have few story lines and not all of them are connected with science and I would develop them and put it in IL. Please continue to encourage me like this.

Regards,

TDU