1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Views Vs FB s

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Deaf woman, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

Dear susri,
    Ya ,thats a valid point you raised.when our thread goes to the next page ,we rarely get any fbs.Thanks for your encouragement .

2. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Vijji,

A positive or a negative fb is a great motivation to the writer. The views don’t matter.

But for many reasons people do not post an fb. But a writer is here to convey a message, experience, etc. So the good work should continue, whether you get an fb or not.

There are lots of scriptures, books, news papers, magazines, etc. which all have good things in them. We either see them, read a few of them and do we ever write back to the writer. Very few do.

Is the writer bothered about that? For him he has got the money and if any one writes to him that's a bonus. But if there was a message in the writings, the readers have to pick & use them if applicable.

Let me give a small analysis that I did on IL.

I just did this analysis on the fly this afternoon. I just concentrated on the main forums under each category. I did not get into the VIEWS. That will be detailed and right now I did not have the time to do it.

The chart I shall post it separately or upload as an attachment..

See the Red Ones, which are the actual fb's. I have taken only 50% of the TOTAL fb's, because the TOTAL includes the response by the writer to the fb.

I have ranked the different categories in Green.

Summary:

The Section with most fb's is EXPRESS CAFE with 18.16 fb's and ranked No. 1.

The Section with least fb's is Education, Work & Money with 3.71 fb's and ranked No. 11.

This figure is on the date & time I did this analysis. This will give you an idea on the responses for a thread.

There was a difference from my calculation & the IndusLady's Total, because the data is very dynamic.

When I have time shall compare the fb's to the views.

So Vijji - don't care a damn for the fb. Keep writing. Everybody who writes has a message to share.

All the best.

3. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Vijji,

I have uploaded the chart as a JPEG Image.

Refer the previous post for explanation.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  4. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

Hi natpudan,
    Thanks for such a detailed analysis .I am quite impressed and thankful to you.
    A positive or a negative fb is a great motivation to the writer. The views don’t matter.
    Exactly ,i think negative responses will widen our thinking and let us see another side to the matter discussed.
    So Vijji - don't care a damn for the fb. Keep writing. Everybody who writes has a message to share.

All the best.
    Thanks ,when i get such encouragement from you all ,i will surely try my best.
    Best wishes,

5. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friend:

I have often been disturbed by the smallness of the number of fb's to my posts. On the other hand, in my saner moments, I also realize that fb's don't mean much really, unless you want to belong to the cyber society and socialize there. Normally, I write for the pleasure of writing.

I write mostly because I am interested in literature. If I can combine it with some experience of the other, so much the better. But more often than not, I fail there. The result is that I end up with abstractions. And few can ever be interested in such stuff, either to read or to respond. Given my discontent with my own stuff, I have to keep on improving and that itself creates a distance between me and the community.

Should I be bothered by this? As Kamalji and Cheeniya have often told me, it is highly irrational for me to lament the fb-drought in my pages. I think what they mean is that if I am writing for the sheer pleasure of writing, then I should be more pleased to have produced something that, given my impossible to please attitude towards my own writing, I have found worth posting.

I wish there were a way of collecting the pieces I myself feel were worth writing and leave them in one place for a chance visitor in the distant future. I have my website where I do something like this, but I need to do better.

There are sites where I feel somewhat more comfortable than I do here, because those sites have either editorial policies (they need not put up your pieces) or they are sites devoted entirely to literature. Unfortunately, the second of these are dominated almost entirely by Western people. I have had a degree of success there, given that they cater to serious writing only. But, being culturally different, they cannot get the full essence of the stuff I try to create -- a blend of cultures, blend of mythologies and humour, but a blend that has far too much Indian-ness in it.

Most of the time, I am happy with what comes to me, but sometimes I lose my cool. But I am certainly more happy than unhappy.

So, ultimately, I have stopped looking forward to fb's. If they arrive, well and good. If they don't, does it really matter?

oj

6. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

@ natpudan

Impressed! Are you a statistician? Or, at least, are you involved in statistical work? If you are and if you ever find the time, why don't you expand on this post and the table with a mean-variance style analysis. Could be fun as well as educative!!

Liked reading the fb. Such fb's matter more than most fb's.

All the best.

oj

7. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Thank you OJ - Da,

I am not statistician but I am into supply chain, so these kind of analysis is what I have to live with.

When I do have little time, shall work on expanding further.

Thank you for liking the fb too.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  8. vimala1957

vimala1957 Bronze IL'ite

True analysis. Yes, it is always nice to see the comments of viewers and their views about the write up. All the factors you mention do matter to receive responses.

9. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

Hi Vijji,

Your Point 3 plays a very major role in getting FBs.

3.If the writer is known to the users here ,he/she will get more replies.

because we feel more comfortable replying to you knowing you also know us and will respond appropriately.

Keep writing :thumbsup

10. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

OJ sir,
    ultimately, I have stopped looking forward to fb's. If they arrive, well and good. If they don't, does it really matter?
    Well said.I agree.Thanks for sharing your opinion.