1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Views Vs FB s

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Deaf woman, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

:hiyaReading many bloggers’ commenting on less no of FBs even after getting umpteen viewers , I wanted to put forth my 2 cents worth of analysis here.
    Speaking from personal experience ,my first post http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...ction/42193-the-advantages-of-being-deaf.html got 1822 views and 67/2 FBs.That kind of a start into this blogging world boosted my morale .After that , I came down with a thud with less viewership and fbs to my succeeding threads.That got me thinking what makes a popular thread and what doesn’t.
    Here are my conclusions.
    1.A thread if it touches your heart will get many FBs.Especially the sympathy factor.
    2.If the content is regarding daily life ,you score better.If its written humourously ,score will be higher.
    3.If the writer is known to the users here ,he/she will get more replies.
    4.Good writing and exceptional messages are also the most sought after.
    5.Empathy to the writer and the content of the blog also plays a big role.
    6.The writer’s speedy replies to the FB s too play a vital role.
    Please feel free to correct me and add some more of yours here.

2. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

My Friend - This is a place where we meet just to relax, reflect and rejoice. From all corners of the world we are able to meet so many friends, caring for each other,sharing our feelings and that itself is a great boon. If you want to say something to our friends here just keep writing and don't worry if you don't get fbs. Don't worry about how you write them, It's what you want to convey that matters more. Please keep writing...

3. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Yes i definitely agree with monifa. Dont bother about fb, if you just want to share ur feelings, just pour it in simple way. Why worry about fbs.

Though as you said, if you get fbs, u feel good, but its ok still, if u dont get. You felt like sharing ur experience, and u did that, thats it end. Why ponder over the number of views and fbs. If you get it well enough, and if not forget it.

4. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi dear,

i read your first post now. I enjoyed reading it very much. I salute to your positive attitude towards the life.:thumbsup

5. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Your analysis is worth more than 2 cents!!:thumbsup

6. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Vijji

I tend to agree with you and Monifa here. It is easy to say not to look for fb's but like OJ da had mentioned on one of his posts, how would a person know if what he/she had written was received well or not? Acknowledgement is required only then it motivates a person to write more. Number of views really does not say much, if you ask me. I don't mean to discourage anybody here. For example, if I were to start reading a post and after just a few lines, I decide to quit and go to something else for whatever the reason that maybe. The system might register my attempt as a VIEW, but did I actually view and read the post? NO. Further, if any post catches me, then I tend to read it over and over and also read through all the fbs and their fbs. So I myself have contributed to the NUMBER OF VIEWS more than once isn't it? So how does one know that x number of views is actually equal to x number of people who have read it? I think a feedback is the only way of acknowledging.

Popularity of a person in iL - this surely plays a vital role and possibly a leading factor in getting fbs. This is further assisted by the topic chosen, style of writing and empathy towards the writer. Having said this, do I post a feedback on all posts? No I don't, because I get intimidated by rich language. I am totally awed by it and would read it for sure, but anything I say in the form of feedback would sound pretty below average. So I keep quiet. That does not mean that the post has failed by any means. 8 out of 10 times, I have nothing constructive to say in my feedback, other than "Enjoyed, Great post" etc etc. I feel that is insufficient when compared to the effort put in by the writer and what others have posted in the form of their feedback. So rathar than making a fool of myself, I don't say anything at all. I do not know how many are like me...hopefully not many.

But then, like Monifa said, we are here to relax and rejoice and share our thoughts in whatever way we like to do. It is a beautiful platform to be able to do that and meet and read many eminent writers from different corners of the world and be part of one big family. So lets continue to share and care and let us not allow the lack of fbs put us down.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  7. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Vijji dear!

I concur with the views xpressed by friends earlier in this thread.

K2S has given a very apt reason - yeah - sometimes since we may not have enough to write in fb and may not like to just say - thanks for sharing - good attempt - nice post . etc. we may just view and leave it.

Another thing, my personal opinion is one should notice a new thread being started or a new blog entry. Can u believe me if I say am not even aware of ur blog - Advantages of being deaf. U know what, I still do not know the art of disciplined browsing. This is the time I frequently use - never mind even if it sounds negative about me.

By nature, I am very restless and that can be seen often in most of my work too. Mostly the moment I log in, I straightaway go to profile, all posts, fbs and get stuck up with threads I like - A-Z, Game with vowels etc. Earlier I used to only keep posting in Scrabble, Jodi Paadalgal, A-Z of food varieties etc.

One reason is I get very little of PC time and if I am watched sitting for long time here, my husband comments u have no other work to do?

U know becos I get very little time here, I have sacrificed browsing other sites that used to interest me earlier for which I feel bad. not that anyone is going to complain, but the enjoyment I miss from those sites.

Can u also believe that I have never read any blog here?

That being the case, u should not worry of the no. of fbs but then enjoy only for being able to write and relax in IL. One thread started by me on Malayalam Devotionals has not had 1 reply too. But I never mind. It might get revived later too or even have its natural death!

So don't worry abt views or fbs. Just write and enjoy being here. Anyways we have fun in A-Z naa. I think nothing in IL can match that. Who knows may be Srini is even envied by some for making this thread this popular!

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Viji,

you are not alone when you think about the views and FB's. this is one topic that crops up every year and is also in the minds of many. so I thought i would also step in, though i am not sure if i am going to say something new apart from what is all said here.

As a co-blogger, my views..

Is it only the sympathy factor, though i don't rule it out completely, there is also a feel good factor along with I can relate to what you are writing about factor. many a times, there are blogs that get nominated by a person for the relate to factor too.

It is more about how you inter-relate to other bloggers. you need to be in touch with others through your feedbacks and also reading. Though group-ism is common, it is something we cannot avoid. people build a rapport here, and would like to encourage their friends, too. Popularity does not bring in fb's always. if so, thirukkural, by sriniketan should be getting good fbs, though there are exception for every case.

Messages do not go well all the time. there are times when they are not accepted. you cannot gauge what clicks when. there are times when there are blogs that are so good but do not even get a single fb, as you say. could it be the message did not go well with somebody or that the message was not put forth in the correct way.

Empathy to the writer style fb's cannot go on for blog after blog. there is a limit to what a reader can digest in the name of the empathy right.

FB's definitely play a vital role. but these days i find very few who even go back to check if there was a fb. take my case, I am lagging behind in giving fb's to few of my blogs, because of a few personal reasons at the homefront. I feel guilty too when i am not doing it as promptly as before.

Views, as you say some blogs have viewership in thousands, and fb's in single digit. the reason could be as k2s says and also some are lazy to put in a fb, others maybe guests who just are feeling the site. And one more reason, i heard from a very close friend here, if i give a fb to you, another x will get angry that i did not give one to her blog, so it is better, that i stay silent..(I am sure many are sailing in the same boat..)

but at the end of the day I write for the self-satisfaction. a fb, a recognition is like the icing on the cake. I blog because of the freedom to express, what i feel, what i think, my thought process.

So viji, do blog, forget the fb's. There are threads here, that resurface after a year which went unnoticed earlier. it could mean the viewers were not ready for that thread earlier, or somebody liked it so much wants to give a fb.

all said, i am not an exception to what is being discussed here, as i have my days of confusion, dilemma too..:hide:

But at the same, let me tell all my friends, a blogger/writer big or small thrives only from the comments, and a little acknowledgment. as i always say, even if somebody else has given a comment which is exactly the same as you would have wanted to say, it is not a problem at all..go ahead and say the same. it is definitely going to make somebody's day.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi vijji,

Every once in a while this topic does come out for discussion :) your analysis is perfect :thumbsup. and the others above have actually said all the points...

all i can say is

to the viewers

fbs do matter and make the writer happy so if possible do give one,even if it is a one liner.
    and if you really did not like the post do NOT waste your time giving one..why give grand ideas about himself/herself to the writer.:)

to the writers

do not bother much about fbs..if you are bored and want to speak out your thoughts be glad that there is an open forum here that comes free of cost too:)
    there is always a small group of people at least who are willing to listen to you. make friends and have a fun time.

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijji,

what u write is true.I can never understand, why, when a post is good, when someone reads it, why he or she does not post a comment ion it ? what good is it to read if u cannot let the writer know that it is good ?Laziness is no excuse, it does not take much time to write a FB, lesser than what it takes to read the blog.

Well i have been blessed Viji with good amount of FB's, the ilites are kind to me.Some silly blogs that i think will not receive 2 or 3 FB;s , get so many, i get tired of replying.:biglaughAnd we have some great FB writers here, somet hat come to mind now, are TL,Nats, pads, she will always post a great joke, and quite a few others.

So everyone, whenu read a blog, please take the trouble of posting a FB too, for u dont know , how much a writer looks forward more the FB's than the number of viewers.

My 2 cents worth.Well said Vijji.

Regards

kamal