Very Indian Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by blindpup10, Sep 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

The concept of raakhi brother tickles me silly. Raksha bandan wasn't particularly a custom around us growing up. Plus largely liberal parents who didn't mind boys - platonic friends walking in and out; girls in the case of my brother. So we had friends of the opposite gender all the time.

All of a sudden this craze caught up and many girls and boys whose parents were restrictive went on an over drive. Any boy one was unrelated to but whom they wanted to hang out with seemed to become raakhi brother. Any good natured ribbing and a sanctimonious, he's my raakhi brother man would be the rebuke.

Funnier still is the fact that I know of several lovely couples who started out this way and went on to get married! The things kids had to do to find their own soulmate!!

Meghaa, sindmani, BhumiBabe and 6 others like this.
  2. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

One's rotis should always be round.
    There are only two career options in India: Doctor / Engineer.
    A government job is always treated better than private.
    Even if one works with the government, one's kids will go to a top-notch private school.

CoolPie, sindmani, madras2018 and 5 others like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hair Oil - coming to work or other places with thick coconut oil in hair. Many of us grew up with hair always oiled, but, move with the times, kick that habit. Hair oil is fine as a pre-hair-wash ritual in the privacy of your home. And if you have to keep your hair oiled all the time, at least pick a lighter Brahmi aamla kesh tel kind, not good old Parachute. Call me sexist, but it looks even more appalling on men. Use modern options like gel, cream, and what have you.

Sweaty people - yes, we come from a tropical land. But, when working in an air-conditioned office, and in a semi-formal or formal dress protocol, please do something about sweaty under-arms and etc. Especially, women... you want to wear sarees.. do.. but, do something yaa...

Smile! Why do Indians nod or smile at non-Indians, but ignore an Indian in same scenario? : )

Meghaa, Giri12, Marchmommy and 7 others like this.
  4. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

I always got a "Are you crazy?" look from Indians when I smiled at them. There are (very) few who reciprocate.

5. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Not sure if this part of all Indian families. Even after guests are inside the house and seated, each and everyone should be welcomed individually. Like it or not, a friendly or respectful "Aayiye" or "Vaanga" should be uttered.

kalcandu, sindmani and madras2018 like this.
  6. sanskruthi

sanskruthi Silver IL'ite

Eating with hands. If you ask for spoon you are considered a show-off. Close relatives would even tick you off with why God gave you hands?

kalcandu, Marchmommy, CoolPie and 5 others like this.
  7. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

A custom in my friends family (they follow same here in UK) - Men should eat first and women later.

When we go to her place for lunch / dinner on their invitation, eventhough I am hungry, men has to eat first, women has to wait for their turn :(

candidheart, kalcandu, Giri12 and 6 others like this.
  8. DXBDesi

DXBDesi Silver IL'ite

Men have to eat first even if they are not hungry in such scenarios !

sumzaya likes this.
  9. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Men will say after some time and will keep on watching tv,

sindmani, madras2018 and dnormx01 like this.
  10. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Because only Indians are your competitors in the next GC being filed, or eyeing the great house in a good school district or want the last pair of pants on clearance in Kohls during 30% off?

Noticed this phenomenon in every city in US I've ever been to.... :shakehead: