Very Indian Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by blindpup10, Sep 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Talking of freebies, my mister who travels a lot can never resist bringing home those little bottles of hotel moisturiser, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, eye refresher (whatever the hell it is) and we never use them. NEVER. Not even when staying in that hotel but he needs to bring them home. They lie unopened at home forever as I wasn't allowed to throw our perfectly good stuff.

They used to drive me crazy until I figured out there was a homesless charity I could donate them to. Now it's win-win. He brings back all the freebies and I donate them. I wonder what he'd say when he realises that those eye refreshing thingies are probably being discarded by the volunteers for being too pretentious !

2. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

When my DH does the same, this is what I do.

At critical housecleaning moments, (read: just before guests arrive) choose one bottle of shampoo/conditioner, dump it down the toilet, and flush rapidly twice.
    Result: a fresh bathroom smelling of aromatic wood / aloe lemon / wildflowers in sunshine / whatever they write on those bottles! :thumbsup:

3. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Again, digressing from the original topic.
    VICE series focuses on several unusual customs/ problems around the world. I watched a video a year ago about bride kidnapping in Kyrgyzstan. According to vice (and if I remember correctly, this custom is slowly evolving into staged kidnapping than 'kidnapping').

hridhaya and blindpup10 like this.
  4. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Latest version of Matrimonial ads:
    'Age' old male/female 'height/weight' with fair/dark complexion. Belongs to 'religion' 'caste' 'sub-caste'. 'Educational qualification (at-least 2-3 degrees)'. Earning x-z lakhs pa. Working as 'abc' in 'xyz'.

Seeking:
    (bride) Fair, beautiful, cultured life partner. Should be working/ not-working. (Conditions apply: dowry, quitting or getting a job comes later)
    (groom) Tall (6 ft at-least), dark, handsome. Should own citizenship in some country other than India or at least a green card. (Conditions apply: owning a house/car/no sisters/neutral family preference will come into picture later)

sindmani and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Same goes for grabbing tissues and packs of sugar/pepper from restaurants.

sindmani, guesshoo, dnormx01 and 3 others like this.
  6. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Very Indian Problem:
    Criminals can walk scott-free after their identity is protected by the government. While the victims are made to relive the horror happened to them over ad over again by the media.

sindmani, ashima10 and Suja9 like this.
  7. divyarnair

divyarnair Silver IL'ite

Funny Thread :) . Recently my american friends came to India with their kids . Apparently a lot of Aunties they met at hotel / airport etc asked their kid -- "Give a kiss to Auntie" :) . Not to say they were shocked .

Sunburst, guesshoo and KashmirFlower like this.
  8. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

-
    Strangers walk up and start a random conversation - usually some information or help - they need it without any formal introduction, not even a hi or hello. Elders do this more often.
    -
    Indian to Indian (inside the country and out):
    'Which part of India are you from?'
    -
    Its rare to have a face to face conversation that involves around a general topic. Everything should be personalised. Starting from the person's name, marital status, fiances, even goes to family heritage. Extremely awkward when you start the first day of work and all personal questions are asked from everyone you meet.

9. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Get up, start grabbing the bags and belongings, block the entire aisle even before the fasten-seat-belt sign is turned off in domestic flights. (Else they will be hijacked??! :confused::confused:)

Even though seats are priorly booked / allotted, rush in to get in first. Why? Why?

Even if one wants to, you cannot maintain arm's-length distance. Someone will jump the queue or will run you over to take the space in between.:facepalm::facepalm:

10. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

A week or so ago, I sat next to an Indian whose child was in the same extra curricular as mine. In about 100 seconds flat or less (after 'are you from india?' 'Where?' 'Which is your child?' 'Only child?') I was asked, 'when are you having your second one?' And then, 'Your child needs a sibling. It's not for you. You mustn't put it off too long.' So, brown skin, black hair and eyes invite these intrusions I suppose!! It was end of session when she asked for my name...