1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Venting out!! How should I deal with my interfering in laws?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by indiangurl, Jun 26, 2012.

1. indiangurl

indiangurl New IL'ite

Jmusic,

I am happy for you that your husband was understanding. In my case, knowing our different needs before marriage, I tried to arrive at a compromise with my husband regarding living in a joint setup. I suggested things such as living close enough but not under the same roof, we living on one floor and they on a different floor so that we have separate households and close enough to reach out at a moment's notice. I also suggested that we can live on our own for couple of years and then the in-laws can join in as that would give us time to bond. I was afraid that us living in a joint setup right from the start would not let us form a strong bond. Knowing my in-laws I anticipated conflict and did not want that to impact our relation in our initial stages. But none of this was acceptable to my then BF. He was adamant that it has to be a joint setup or no marriage. This is what had hurt me the most. The complete inflexibility on his part. I was ready to leave behind everything in the world for him and he was not ready to take a single step forward. Is marriage begun with such sort of coercion? After a lot of discussions, I conceded living in a joint family. I imagined it cannot be all that bad and my husband's behavior had also improved somewhat. It was a different case that eventually in-laws did not begin living together immediately as it would too hectic for them to commute to work 2 hours away. they thought of joining in a couple of years time when they retired.

2. indiangurl

indiangurl New IL'ite

It was the same with me. After moving out of that house, ILs started guilt trapping my husband that what should we do with the house now, should we sell it? It had been 15 days since we moved out of that place. Is selling the house prime concern of my FIL just 15 days after we moved out or is it a way to make my husband feel guilty? My husband told them that he does not want any part of their property. So they can do whatever they like with it. Till date nothing has happened. No selling, no renting. And we maintain relations with his parents. My husband is paying out the loan on a car that he gifted to his father. And then tell him he has nothing to do with the property. Anyways property is of least concern. It is the relations that are important.

I can understand you wanting to spend alone time with hubby in India. I have friends in China and they tell me that it can get very boring. It is just much more easier to relate to everything back in India and feel at home and reminisce the old days with hubby. Totally get the bit about college days. Thats the problem, they dont stop you from doing anything, but then some subtle comment will come which will give you insight into what they really think and feel. In my case, my in-laws would come over every weekend and tell us " you continue with your plans, we do not have any problem". Well then why have they come when they are not even going to be seeing us? Just to prove that they are so good that they are not interfering with our plans. If they really think that we are busy with something then stay at home and meet us the next weekend. Wudnt it make you uncomfortable that you are doing some work of your own and u have guests who are sitting at home and you might hardly see them. If you feel like eating out, whatever in-laws might say that they are fine, who is rude enough to eat out when they have in-laws who are visiting them. And then when we would go to do some work, they would bring my BIL's GF home who's their darling. I dunno maybe just to show that she has time for them and we do not. I can understand that they must be wanting to meet their son and DIL but weekends are the only time we got to wind up our chores and spend some time with each other. Could they have had some patience and restricted their visit to alternate weekends and not make us feel bad for living our lives and enjoying some time off? Even if you go to watch a movie, you are thinking that you have left parents back at home who are on a short visit.

I think this every weekend thing was the biggest thing that led me to lose my cool. I do not know how this could have been handled better. Hubby and me had agreed that we would maintain alternate weekend frequency with parents but it is hard to communicate this to parents especially when they want to see you every weekend. I feel my hubby could have politely declined on seeing them every weekend saying that we were busy or something. But instead, he showed his frustration to his parents that I do not like them visiting us every weekend. The entire onus fell on me. Even if it was reasonable I was uncomfortable telling my in-laws that this weekend was not a good time. There was one weekend when hubby and me were planning to go out on a short trip. We had so much activity on the past few weekends that I was really exhausted and hence said that I would prefer to stay home and do nothing. In-laws had just left after spending about 10 days with us. So I thought they also wudnt come. However, they came friday evening and left sat morning, only to tell us that we can come and visit them on the weekend. Husband in spite of knowing that we had cancelled a trip to be at home did not decline. And I did not have enough guts to decline as there was already a lot of tension in the past some weeks. We ended up not going as we got caught with some work. But husband got so restless that we visited them tuesday night (reached their at 10:30pm) after work only to come back on Wed morn. I do not understand why were we obliged to visit them when they had just spent more than a week with us.

3. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

I understand two important factors which have impacted a lot to your marriage.
    1. Your views/principles/expectations/way of life is too different in terms of married life. While his whole world revolves around his parents and you have a defined space for your parents, him, his parents, your friends, career but they revolve around you. Guess this was not clear to each other before marriage or none of you expected such drastic outcome.
    2. Again you and your PILs are poles apart. They feel they know whats best for their son and do that taking you for granted. While you would like them as part of your life not overpowering even with their love and care. In this part you all are ok at your place. Just the way its being communicated and more important the way its understood or misunderstood by your DH needs a lot of improvement.
    You need to tell him you being independent have a certain lifestyle and you are not comfortable with too much intrusion in your private space. But also try not to take all their actions wrongly. Sometimes when we are hurt or jealous (yes jealous because you come after mommy) we tend to look at everything in wrong way. Try and sort it out with your in laws. If they are still ok with you tell them you have been living alone and love your independent lifestyle so out of the uncomfortable feeling there have been some unpleasant experiences with them. Lets set the boundaries and try again.
    Good luck
    Vaidehi

1 person likes this.
  4. meVaidehi

To add to what I've said above, even I don't like anybody washing my clothes not even my MIL. So I keep them in my room and directly take out for washing.
    And I also got irritated when she started cooking the day she came for holidays. But not because she was cooking it was because she started ordering me around to all the prep while she would just make the dishes. Top that she started saying only she and her daughter are best cooks and everyone only loves her food (right poor guy otherwise stays hungry when mommy is not around) So I told her she does so much work at her place now while she is here she should rest and enjoy and let me do the cooking.

1 person likes this.
  5. indiangurl

indiangurl New IL'ite

Same thing happens with me when I go to their place. Extremely boring. Only activity is watch TV, that too saas bahu serials and laughter club serials or gossip about relatives. It is the same food every single time I went. No interest in home decoration, any other interest which a woman has. Not that I expect to have an intellectually stimulating conversation with my in-laws. Even my mother is very simple. But then she does other things which keeps things interesting. She makes so many different things. Has so many other interests. MIL has no interest but sitting and watching TV and chatting and laugh over lame jokes and pamper her sons. I feel like clawing at my throat. I got so bored there that every time I went, I did not forget to take a book to read with me.

6. indiangurl

indiangurl New IL'ite

Vaidehi,

Thanks for your reply. Both of us knew before marriage our different nature. I got into this marriage because I loved him and thought that everyone some or the other problem with in-laws. I should not leave the man I love because of this reason. Certainly, I never imagined that things would deteriorate to such level else I would have never married. Also, because of the constant fighting, I am not clouded anymore by the feelings of love which stopped me from thinking rationally.

Having said that, DH has a problem with being too independent. He tells me when I knew all this why did I get married to him. He is not ready to accept my independence. Before marriage, I asked him things if he would ensure my privacy and space in a join setup. So he asked in what manner. I told I would not like his mother to go through our cupboards or make our bed. And he was adamant that he cannot ask his mother not to do all this as she has done this all her life. While my in-laws are understanding enough to respect my space to some extent, DH has no concept of privacy. In the beginning, my ILs avoided using our toilet, and DH got concerned that why are they uncomfortable using our toilet. Such is the behavior which has led me to resent his parents so badly. The truth is he is much worse than his parents. His parents are far more sensible.

Now after moving out of their house, he does not want me to maintain any ties with them any longer. He has been going to his parents place consecutively for the last two weekends and does not take me. Once his parents had come to our city for some work and he met them outside our home and in spite of their asking refused them from coming to our place. I had in fact made certain preparations because they would be coming to our place for the first time and we would meet after such a long time. My husband likes to stay on extremes. Either he wants a Rajshree productions playing out in real life or he wants to be completely aloof. I dont know how can I make him understand. And slowly I am also turning indifferent towards him. I tried for a long time with love, patience and care but to no avail. He is turning worse by the day and started sleeping in a separate room.

7. meVaidehi

I really had no idea there could be adults like that. It's hilarious and sad at the same time.
    Sorry didn't mean to offend you.

1 person likes this.
  8. falgunid18

falgunid18 Platinum IL'ite

Not a good sign dear.

You agreed to live and adjust, but everything did not fall into right place, your DH's expectations did not meet. He got upset and all this happened. he will never stand up against his family, but rather want you to blindly follow them. Now he is trying to create a seperate world for him where he thinks he is responsile of getting a DIl that failed to reach his family expectations. So he will try his best to make his family happy even at your cost.

Your Dh is slowly starting to emotionally detach himsel from you. Dont let this happen. Since your Dh's behaviuour is always extreme as you mentioned, you do not want this to lead to a silnce treatment from him. Do not think of why only you should initiate patching up stuff, right now concetrate on how to get back your Dh to normal stability and maturity. Else this gap can be very cleverly used by your mil to create more diffeernces.

Running to his mom after fights is very kiddish. Seriously he needs to learn to grow up and behave maturely. Some men.... really do not have spine along with heart.

9. dahlia

dahlia Silver IL'ite

How are things now Indiangurl? Hope everything is sorted out..
    You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, so I'm sure you figured out a way that makes YOU happy.

10. Reflection123

Reflection123 New IL'ite

Your husband is the main problem here. Why would a grown up man complain to his parents about his wife. Just let him be! You said in one of the posts that you don't want to crush his self esteem by growing academically and professionally taller. You need not baby-sit his self esteem. Let him go to his parents on every weekend if that is where his happiness lies. If he feels this pressing need to appease his parents so frequently, then just let it be. You can spend your weekend and life in a very enriching and stimulating way, while they're busy playing mummy-papa-baby. Don't show that you're affected. Just when he comes back--throw a broad grin, and just say "Ohh you're back! You look so fresh. I am sure you must have had a lovely time with mummy daddy. I missed you so much :-( ...... (and then modestly/subtly tell him about all the good things you did with your life when he was busy being patted by mommy-daddy). I mean learn from his mom and dad. They'll do whatever they want, but will always try to sound pleasing and sweet. Even you can make your sweetness hard to cut through! Talk to him as if you don't dislike his parents, but as if you're very interested and attentively listen to anything he wants to share. Then tell about the juicy stories you have in stock, talk about your social life with your friends, and the pride you feel in having a meaningful weekend. Don't preach--but share, share, share,share, and share. The richness you're experience in your life will certainly trickle down as a desire in his heart to share some of it. When you talk about your social life, in a subtle way tell him how much you enjoyed, and how much nicer it would be if he were there too (then add---but I understand that you need to be with your mom and dad too, never mind I am completely with you on that..mom and dad too are imprtant!).....Keep saying that you understand him, while living your life to the fullest without budging. He will certainly be attracted towards the charm and magnificence in your life sooner or later, if you present and advertise it well to him :). Don't get mad at him, attract him towards yourself and your ideas.

My parents -in -law used to talk about virtues of minimalistic living, and I was tired of the cheap stuff my husband would buy for our home . He would send them so much money coz he had "nowhere else" to spend. They would just sweet talk him into adopting this "moderate lifestyle", and consequently we ended up not spending anything on ourselves, but letting them control our savings. I constantly started showing my husband pictures of designer stuff. I would exclaim "Oh my God these couches are so gorgeous. It would be such a pleasure to have them", and then I would qualify my statement by saying, "but we should not spend too much, right. I understand hon." I would say this, and then--after few days I would return with more pictures!! Gradually, it infected his mind, and then it was not mine, but HIS idea that we should have a good lifestyle and not live so minimally. I know it doesn't match your situation, I am only giving a random example to illustrate--when you know you have better ideas--don't fight with others ideas, just advertise and sell your ideas harder (just add a sweet coating)

1 person likes this.