1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vent Post! Need Suggestions On How To Deal Money Issue With In-laws.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by priyajagadeesh, Aug 29, 2017.

1. RohiniVenkat

RohiniVenkat Silver IL'ite

@Brevity What you said is acceptable, but when it comes to the last point what you mentioned, they will not understand the expenses you do here, rather they will ask you why cant you control the expenses you do there and they can think that they are existing a lavish life there, whereas IL's in India were suffering a lot. May be.

2. priyajagadeesh

priyajagadeesh Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your reply! FIL is earning by leasing out farms. The income is enough for their daily expenses.
    We informed them about our new home purchase and what pisses me off is they expect us to give up savings all over again. It is not that simple to ask for legal division, it might break them big time and I feel we(DH) are ready to go there yet. I guess i just have to draw the line stick to it and say NO firmly.

3. priyajagadeesh

Thanks for your words, I am trying to keep my peace here.

4. priyajagadeesh

This is so true and I have to be more careful with my savings from now on.

5. priyajagadeesh

Thanks for your time!

I do not think they get how hard it is for us here. They visited us last year and saw me juggling between full time job, taking care of 6 months old and cleaning(MIL used to cook). The least i expect from them is to be little considerate but looks like they are taking grant of me just because i did not say No earlier. Note this 25L ask is just after 1 month of buying home in US, how do they think we get that kind of money.

With this incident I am done, told DH that i am not willing to spend any money on anyone else. I need future security and not willing to risk it at any cost. I want to be loud and clear, be done with it. I would rather have it fixed deposit in by daughters name than spending on someone else luxuries.

nakshatra1 and Dishaa like this.
  6. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

OP - well, you have the answer right there. Just stick to it and be strong . All the best.

7. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Convey ur in-laws ur financial situation . they will definitely understand. With out u telling them ur position , they might not know ur situation .COMMUNICATION IS THE ONLY WAY

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

You are a great soul.
    Hard to see genuine people with such generous character.
    Your H and PILs are really lucky to have you in their family.

Before analyzing your individual case, let us see what we have ingrained from our society in the name of culture/tradition etc.
    These habits are ingrained as our morals and value system. They are interrelated, so you can't really speak about a particular situation here.

There are 2 issues here.

1) Male children are favored in the name of tradition. Their parents make their investment on their sons, hoping they will return the favor down the line.
    This ultimately makes these elder parents with no retirement fund, and their daughters' with no self sufficient income/self dependence.
    So, obviously these male children take active role in settling down their female siblings before they settle down in life.
    Besides, their parents become their full time responsibility.
    This is traditionally an accepted value, and ingrained in both male and female children while growing up.

2) NRIs show off as if they have money tree in their wine yard.
    Many NRIs have piled up credit card bills, loans and debt which takes a life time to clear. But they do act as if they are landing from the heaven.
    Their life style and choices during their 1 month vacation is what their FOO sees/understands.
    No one really knows the struggle, the sacrifices, the hardships NRIs face in the foreign land.
    Ex:
    My BIL is a UK citizen, and he sends a lot of money to PILs as and when they request for.
    There is no limit as such, because PILs treat BIL as their easy ATM.
    Now that, their demands have taken a different turn. FIL asks, rather orders BIL to send money (that too in lacks) to his siblings /nieces and nephews for their marriage/education/medical reasons etc.
    BIL questions a little, but then sends as needed.
    PILs actually think, BIL has a lot of money, since he earns in Euro. They have no idea about his hardships, since he won't share them with anybody.
    First of all, living in foreign is considered as a pride here. No one wants to lose that pride by speaking about their hardships there.
    They maintain this crown by spending extra dollars just like that.

But my co-sis was brutally honest, and broke all the silence last time.
    She said that BIL has a huge credit card loan, and 2-3 large EMIs to pay.
    They are yet to own their house.
    It is true that he earns in Euro, but it is also true that he spends in Euro and his life style has to match with that of Europeans.
    So, he works from 5am-9pm and then go for a second job (business) from 10pm-1am. including commuting hrs
    This barely gives him a break of ~4hrs per day.
    That too, he works all the 7 days of the week.
    Therefore, they hardly have personal time, family time etc.
    They don't even talk much at home. Have a bad sex life.
    They wait for India visit to treat their dentistry problems and other minor matters as it is expensive in the UK.
    India trips are the only times they live their life to the fullest. So, they don't mind about the expenses here. Anything in India is cheaper for them, since their life style is very expensive.

They live in a 1 room apartment, with lots of discomforts.
    They compromise on their own comfortz, so that their FOO gets everything
    If the demand from FOO reduces to 50%, or less, then he could think of leaving his second job and rest. Or use that money for his own comforts.
    If his FOO goes on like this and more, they will have to pay the prize by seeing their son in a desperate life/marriage down the line.
    Many NRIs end up psychologically disturbed due to this kind of stress only.

Such a honest discussion changed my PILs to some extend.

If possible, try such heart-heart conversations about your real concerns

9. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

I understand ur co sis and ur bil because we are living like this too . one room n kitchen . My sil in other part of USA came to a place near our city but didn't want to visit us after we requesting her so much(at least for sometime, I know it is tough to stay with us with kids), stating my home is not fit n too small.Life in foreign comes with a baggage. But I have hosted guests (other relatives from both sides), I have managed. Any ways this gave me confidence to handle situations rather than feeling insecured as "will the guests be comfortable " etc. People in native will not know the plight of NRI, THEY ONLY KNOW THAT THE CURRENCY HAS BETTER VALUE. BUT WE SACRIFICE MANY THINGS. MY INLAWS HAVE A FUNCTION COMING. UP. WE NEED TO SAVE FOR THAT. ONE AFTER THE OTHER PRIORITY COMES. SAVINGS SHOULD BE DONE WITH LIMITED RESOURCE.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  10. priyajagadeesh

Sure, will it a try.