Ven pongal secret.

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by kishoremommy, Aug 28, 2012.

1. harinikanthi

harinikanthi Silver IL'ite

hi kishore mommy, loved ur receipe. i am a great fan of ven pongal. whenever i make this, evryone likes it. but i am not satisfied.nooooo, something is missing there.let me try ur method.please give me the receipe for kotsu that is served in the weddings along with the venpongal.

2. TDR

TDR Bronze IL'ite

i tried this method (exactly the same) and it came out really well. infact i made it twice after i read this post. my DD also seems to like it very much. thanks for the recipe Kishoremommy!

1 person likes this.
  3. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

Thank you TDR.

This makes me really happy.

Pongalo pongal.

1 person likes this.
  4. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kishoremommy oh you made me remember my college days.Every Thursday is Ven Pongal+coconut chutney+sambar and crispy vada.I used to eat breakfast only on Thursdays.I have never tried making at home.I'll try your recipe some day.

1 person likes this.
  5. kishoremommy

Dear Harini,

do try the method.Rearding Kothsu,I am going to disappoint you.

I have never tasted kothsu in my life.Somehow,I got fixed with the combination Pongal +Moongdal Sambhar +coconut chutney.

I will get kotsu recipe from someone who is a better cook.

Pongal should be had with moongdal sambhar.Ordinary sambhar makes it one grade lower.

Recipe:

Cook Moongdal with turmeric powder and asfoetida till soft.

In a kadai,in a spoon of oil add mustard seeds,a pinch of Sombhu,a pinch of vendhayam,one red chilly,one green chilly,asfoetida and curry leaves.

Add,one big onion ,which is cut thin and length wise.Then add,two or three tomatoes.Naattu thakkaali would be better as we are not going to add tamarind juice for sourness.

After the tomato is mashed well,add turmeric powder,chilly powder and coriandr powder.Measurements are like ordinary sambhar.(If you use sambhar powder ,add as you add to regular sambhar.)Later,add dal.

After the dish is done,add finely chopped coriander leaves.

This would go well with venpongal.

6. kishoremommy

Thanks Viiksha.

This method is never fails.

When we buy rice for pongal,it is better to buy thin quality.Ask for Saapaatu rice instead of pongal rice.

This guarantees soft and non sticky pongal.

If you use pongal rice,roast rice for a minute in a kadai and then soak.

7. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kishoremom,

I always tempted by Ven Pongal, Thanks alot for the tips, i too would like to give you one tips , which is regarding the flavour of pongal, If you want to increase the flavour, use "Jeeraga Samba" rice variety...will get too good flavour.

1 person likes this.
  8. ramyapradeep

ramyapradeep Silver IL'ite

Harini,

I can give you the Gothsu recipe.

Ingredients - 2 onions,2 tomatoes,2 green chillies,brinjals - 1/4 kg,moong dhal - 1/2 cup,chilly powder - 1/2 spoon,turmeric,mustard seeds,curry leaves,salt,oil.

Soak moong dal for 1/2 an hour.Cut brinjal into small pieces ad you chop onion.
    In a pressure pan add oil.Add mustard seeds,curry leaves and onion.Fry til onion turns golden brown.
    Add green chillies without slitting them.
    Add tomatoes and smash.
    Add chilly powder and adjust to your taste.
    Add pinch of turmeric powder and salt to taste.
    Add 2 to 3 cups of water according to the consistency you want.Close the lid when the water starts boiling and put on the whistle.Leave in simmer for 10 mins and turn off t he stove.
    Add coriander to garnish.

Tip: I do pongal in the same way mentioned here and it has always been tasty and soft.You can add a pinch of ajinamoto if you wish.It increase the taste of pongal as in hotel.This is optional.

1 person likes this.
  9. nithyabhaskar

nithyabhaskar Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing. I can taste your pongal online. its too good. :) .... Sure will taste

10. kiran82

kiran82 Silver IL'ite

Wow,I loved the way you have described and written out in detail in such a sweet way-even those who don't like ven pongal will surely try it out-by the way, I love ven pongal!Thank you for sharing.