1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Veggie Wanderers Of India

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Jan 7, 2008.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Indians all over travel a lot and some of them being vegetarians is not helping themselves
    They can’t starve through the trip can they?
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->
    Being a vegetarian can be difficult for Indians while traveling abroad, the business cities have become fairly cosmopolitan now but venturing beyond them involves risks of hunger pangs.
    Even salads are with bits of ham and soups are lined with bacon so to avoid just learn a few basic things like, when in Italy ask them to serve your food ‘SENZA CARNE’ without meat or in Brazil ‘SOU ESTITAMENTE VEGETARIANO’ (I’m strictly vegetarian)
    One can avoid this with a little bit of home work, we all get plenty of books on the local language where we visit it is better to work out something before we start the trip about some names in German, Korea, China, Brazil. Potato is ‘KARTOFFEL’ in Germany,
    And cabbage is simply kool in Netherlands. Also try local vegetables ----artichokes and avocados in the Americas, zucchini in Italy, and seaweeds in East Asia.
    Another way to go for dishes with veggies according to chef Anurag, Bali Italian, Mexico
    And Chinese restaurant are the best. The pizzas, pasta, tortillas, and noodles are made with flour. Avoid meat toppings and fillings.
    In central Europe ask for fondues___ dishes with flavored melted cheese. In Korea, cabbage based kimchi and in China and Japan, panneer like Soya bean tofu. Always check if they come mixed with meat.
    So equip your self well for the wonderful travel, at least update about potato which can become staple during travel and get their names all over the world or the destiny u r going to, most guest rooms provided with a burner and kitchen so at least equip with some culinary expertise to help u tide over…sunkan

source of idea from business world magazine
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--><!--[endif]-->

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nice article with tips at the end, which is a trademark of yours, I guess, Sunkan!
    Thanks for these tips because we are also‘SOU ESTITAMENTE VEGETARIANO’ (I’m strictly vegetarian) .

sriniketan

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hey srini,
    i expected all to come forward and help here by writing what they use in their land so that others will write down as homework..sunkan

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Maybe I can do that and contribute a little bit after my daughters come home from school. Because they do eat outside and are familiar with the words used.

sriniketan

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sundari,

Nice topic. We are also strict vegetarians. As V24 has mentioned, we also specify the exact type of food we want while travelling.
    Also, when ordering Soups, please ensure that it is made with " Vegetable broth" or water. Most times, here in the US and am sure in European countries, they prefer to add, meat stocks to soups.
    Also i always take some instant Podis, that can be mixed with rice. If youask, you are sure to get plain steamed rice.

If people are not averesed to eating eggs, then we get a good assortment of pastries and baked good that are quite filling and tasty too.

I think my hubby has found that the most difficult places to get veg food are usually East Asia : china, taiwan, korea and japan......Although now in the past couple of years, with the big fast food chains making an appearance, he can atleast make do with a veg sandwhich and some fries.

Vandhana

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear vidya,
    knowing indus is global what better place to post this thread so that all benefit, many here are not aware of this problem until they either get into the plane or go to the restaurants there. A simple potato if they know the name, they can get it and have it boiled adding some podi and kothammalli.

Now most houses in india have someone or the other going abroad and of course some know how to cook like my giri, he knows how to make rasam with just a little tomato and cilantro. He says it is better than what we get outside, but there are many men who are boys, going abroad for studies, like how u have mentioned here the difference of ordering veg, asian has to be added now this is some info i am sure many will inform and equip their parents while going abroad to meet their children. thanku for dropping in and helping out to stretch this thread with practical ideas..sundari

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

thanku vandhana,
    i am greedy for more information, as you have stayed for a long time abroad i would suggest if you can come up with the problems that our indian travellers face in the plane or hostel and how to over come that, many friends complain about the spice, as it is very bland and they can only add plenty of pepper to enhance the taste kind, mostly students.

one of my relative left the MBA programme in UK as he did not know how to go about buying stuff as he was not used to even egg. so keeping these in mind if you can pour in some more information of what u people face there and how it could be avoided...hope i am not pestering u...sundari

8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sunkan
    Nice tips on veggies when they go aboard. I am not a vegetarian but it will be really helpful to my veggie friends.
    Thank you very much

9. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

thats the idea aruna,
    to get the veg people to share their difficulties in conveying their requisite in the foreign language so that other people can help themselves with this thread as a dictionary...sunkan

10. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,

I am sure all the veggies are going to be very grateful to you for starting this thread.

In US i am sure the veggies don't have much problem as lot of options are available. For those going on long term assignments/studies should learn some cooking...as this will help them to get stuff home and essemble it.

Cooking abroad is very easy as you get lot of ready stuff.

Normally on holidays, we have taken tours to UK and other such places where veg food is a problem.

Still will chip in info...as and when i get.

Roopa.