1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Vegetarian or Non-Vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Custard, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

What do you think? If Vegetarianism or being Non-Vegetarian is the right option to lead a Healthy Life?
    What are you practising?

Vege
    tarians : Its nice to be as a Veg. and say "NO" to Slaughtering of innocent Animals, but do you think you get enough amount of Vitamins, Minerals & good quality Protein from your food? What do you do, to get these?

Non-Vegetarians : Don't you think you are taking in more of unwanted Cholesterol and fat which is certainly not advisable for this fast-moving life, where there is very little physical activity ? How do you manage this?

Have any one of you wanted to change to the other practise at any point of time?Why?

Share your valuable opinion about this.

1 person likes this.

2. RamyaKrishn

RamyaKrishn Silver IL'ite

Hey Custard,

A genuine question, which pops up in most of us at one time or the other!!!

I guess, its immaterial what you choose to eat but the essentials is EOD we have the intake of right calories, protein, fiber and all the nutrients...

Theres always pros and cons being Veggie or non veggies... So choosing what we eat if veggies the cereals, grains etc and for non veggies lean meat, less red meat etc as long as we know we are not overloaded its good to stick on to what one likes to have!!! :)

I am definitely a Non Veggie have moved to and fro :rant...

3. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Ramya,

Thanks for ur opinion :thumbsup..... rightly said, whats important is we need to take in a balanced diet with required amount of Calories, Protein, etc....

One small doubt, though I got the meaning, I seriously dont know the meaning of EOD !!! :rotfldo expand it:)

4. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Mikel,

do tell us if u r a Veg or Non-Veg?

5. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

hey custard,

I felt that i was much more stronger n had more stamina when i was a non veggie.

Now that becomign a veggie for my hubby frm a very orthodox veg family...

I feel that at times i would have been better health wise if i had not become a VEg.

I had only lost weight. But bloated in size after becoming a Veg!

Surprising.. I do mroe work than before wedding but i weigh less n look fatter! :(

i would have been happier if this had been the case with some couple of KGS added but then i strictly feelk that any food cooked with lesser oil would do much better..

Vegetgables cannot make up for the magnesium n phosporous n some other specific minerals that come only from Non Veg foods.

I miss chicken soup when am having a bad cold for more than couple of days... miss the Kheema gravy when i Have Ghee rice, or chapati, miss Fish gravy when i feel heavy ( eat any amount of fish and u would not feel heavy at all! for it gets digested so easily!)

I love the soft n tasty dove's meat, though a bit salty the rabbit & deer has its own strngth n taste.. but i wouold be behind bars if i think of having them now :exactly::biggrin2:

Anywyas my Non veggie part of life is a very good child hood time memory i save for the future... to tell my grandkids.. now mobving on happily to find as many real organic veggies in market as possible. :)

6. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Sarajara,

A very warm Welcome to this Thread.

I actually enjoyed ur post (the way of writing)..... I'm sure u felt good to write these things......
    I'm a Pure Vegetarian but WAS a Non Veg..... Unlike u, the choice to convert was my own and there was no compulsion. I loved Animals.... and at some point of time felt this was the right decision...... I was still a School going child when I made this decision. So, I was really tempted first time when Non Veg was made at home..... some how I dint eat it.... only the first time, NEVER AFTER was I tempted !!! Now, my entire family is Veg and I'm happy about it!!!

Why I'm telling you this is I'm always here to make you feel happy for being a Veg..... I can do a small bit...... - telling things that I had learnt.....

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  7. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

@ Sarajara,

The main mistake people do is just convert to Veg without knowing what alterations one should make in the diet.....same thing happened with us.

In ur case, since ur Hubby's family was veg from first, may be there was no prob for them with regard to health aspects.... but u were a Non-Veg.... I'm sure U may not even like all the veggies that u make at home.... we tend miss so many ingredients.... this is quite Natural !!! :bowdown

Even I used to love Chicken 65,etc..... but now I'm able to look at it as only as a hen thats in a plate! But never do I tell anyone or even think of telling anyone(even my friends) to convert to Veg. This is just my way of being.....

My suggestions : Just note these ingredients : Soya Chunks, Mushrooms, Fresh Cream.... We have found that these can be cooked and when all the masalas used for Non-Veg as added, they taste like Non-Veg !!!:rotflSeriously!!!
    Make sure you take in more of Iron rich & Protein rich foods. Also visit my other Thread:
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-foods/81567-pulses-and-sprouts.html
    I will post the recipes soon.... try them & let me know ur feedback.

Regarding Fresh Cream :
    Try only the Malpua part of the following recipe :

MALPUAS Recipe - by Tarla Dalal
    MALPUAS Recipe - by Tarla Dalal

.... u know what? it tasted like Omelette but without salt & spices!!!!! One can try out and make it more tastier!

I want to see u as an Healthy Individual once again... No more under weight, or getting fatter....
    ALL THE BEST!!
    and do let us know the organic products that u find....

8. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

hi sarajara,

Really enjoyed your way of writing though not about your diet...i agree with custard...the method of cooking is the main reason for someone to stick to a recipe..Many veggies can be supplemented for most of the non-veg recipes..no doubt in it.

will share here more veg recipes inhibiting a non-veg recipe..stay in touch :thumbsup

9. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Hi Custard,

I am a veggie and i love to be a veggie..my DH eats non veg ( i mean only chicken) for which i keep arguing with him saying how can you eat animals like this..when you don't have the power to bring them alive then you dont have the right to kill them as well..i did my best but no luck :rant:rant...

Regarding your question about proteins, minerals and all, yes we get all of those by eating green leafy veg, fruits , vegetables etc etc...

Regards,
    Pandu

10. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Oh Cindhuja,

I'm really really happy with ur reply :) Thank u so much for being with me on this opinion...
    I will also be waiting for the recipes that u r going to post..... we still have tough time sometimes when we have Non-Veg guests at home (some like to eat only Non-Veg, esp some kids).... we try n make food that taste like that..... ur knowledge will be an added advantage for me n others.

btw are u a Veg or a Non-Veg?