Vegetable geeting burnt in stainless steel vessel

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by rashi2481, May 26, 2012.

1. rashi2481

rashi2481 New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    I really need help with this.I use stainless steel pans to stir fry vegetables on electric cooking range.But whenever I do so I get a thick black scouring at the bottom of the pan :bonk.I constantly have to watch the vegetables but can never get them adequately browned.I don't cook on very high heat,like 6 on electric range.
    I feel my pans are not of good quality.How about Calphalon?Read on internet they are good!! Can you please suggest which pan (brand) should I buy?Please suggest.Its a struggle everyday.

Thanks a lot

2. Nallaanlakshmi

Nallaanlakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    Even i had the same problem. What i suggest is to use a heavy bottomed pan even if it is of steel. Basically any good company works. If you want to stir fry no doubt you need to have complete attention on it i.e., continuously stirring. If you are cooking curry then cook it on medium flame like 3 or 4 and stir for every 3 to 4 mins. Hope this helps!!

1 person likes this.
  3. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

I agree with Nallanlakshmi,

Heavy bottomed utensils will solve your problem. Try copper bottom vessels, but stove should be medium to low flame only

4. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

A thick sandwich bottom stainless steel vessel will solve your problem.I have 3 quart calphalon steel pan and an electric stove.I use the pan to cook dal, fish curry, other gravy curry on medium heat and it works fine.However, I have never tried stir frying the veggies.My sis in law does a lot of stir frying in the calphalon pan, but she uses lots of oil to make aloo fry in it and keeps a constant watch on it.She finds it easier to fry on a low heat.

5. rashi2481

rashi2481 New IL'ite

Thank you all for wonderful suggestions.I will go ahead and buy heavy bottom pan ;mostly calphalon.

Thanks again

6. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Very useful tips, thansk for the post and replies...

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I bought an IPAC ceramic technology non-stick pan wok at TJMaxx some months back. I had previously used a carbon steel wok, a T-Fal wok, a Caphalon wok and this new one is best by far. NO sticking, easy clean up, and you can cook on HIGH no problem. Warning: it gets so hot that you need to use bamboo or silicon utensils as the plastic ones just melt. In ceramic pans this IPAC brand made in Italy seems to be much better than the ceramic non-stick pans from China. (Ceramic pans in this line can be heated up to 800F!!!)

1 person likes this.
  8. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

'Vegetable getting burnt in stainless steel vessel'

Useful tips!

Thanks for sharing wonderful Ideas with us.