1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

veg/non-veg issues

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by monita, Jun 24, 2010.

1. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

To give you a background- Our family is primarily vegetarian.My husband started eating non-veg when he was in college hostel. I am a non-veg and ILs knew this before our marriage.My FIL used to eat non-veg but not at home. But he wanted to eat egg everyday, which my MIL asked me to cook for him, if I was there or the maid used to cook for him.
    I don't cook non-veg at home, but we have take away in the weekend usually, or we eat at restaurants or at friends' place.
    Now, my MIL, who has moved in with us about 7 months ago, has started having problem with our eating non-veg. If we order a take away or are going to eat out, she asks- are you going to eat non-veg. If we are then she says things to my husband like you should have been born in so and so(some strictly veg. person) family. You have become so corrupt after leaving India.You have become so bad. My husband ignores all this but I cannot. I am a peace loving person and I don't know how to handle this disquiet.
    Yesterday was my son's b'day and we ordered some non-veg because my son wanted to have non-veg and she raised such a ruckus. after that I didn't feel like eating anything and so DH didn't feel like eating either. She doesn't give a damn about how she is making others feel. She just wants to have her own way.
    Any suggestions how to handle this?

2. sansmomy

sansmomy Bronze IL'ite

Monita,
    Please ask your DH to explain to his mum that you would not cook NV at home but would want to order parcel/eat outside whenver feel like and we all should respect each-other's food preferences without making big fuss of it.

However, i'll advice you not to get into direct discussion about this with your MIL on your own (unnecessary confrontations/misunderstandings may happen). Let DH sort it out with his mum.

~s.

3. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Your husband should deal with this, his mom - his problem.

You guys have compromised so much and dont cook at home, your MIL should feel happy about it and keep quiet, but making a huge deal about eating outside NV food is plain selfish and controlling.

Just ignore, ignore long enough and it will make her look like a fool eventually.:thumbsup

4. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Ladies,
    My MIL believes she has the right to control our lives. She doesn't understand the concept of mutual respect. She believes she is the only one who has to be respected and obeyed all the time, no matter what.
    So far, whatever she says is to my husband and he just ignores her or talks to her in monosyllables. Like if she says - you should have born in so and so's house, he would say really?/ is it so? and we go on doing whatever we want to do. which frustrates her even more. My DH asks me to ignore her but I can see that he is slowly being influenced by her comments.
    Besides NV, she also doesn't like our eating Italian/Chinese/ thai food because she eats only Indian food.
    So, the problem is not just NV food, but that she wants us to eat what she likes.
    Ladies, I am sick and tired of her comments. I don't want to let her control our lives.
    Do you think ignoring is the only solution?
    Is their any way I can make her feel sorry for what she is doing?

5. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

No Way.They don't think what they are doing is wrong.You know my mohter gave birth to 4 children based on her MIL wish.It's there generation.Even your MIL would have done so many things based on there elders.So they fell it's obsolutly correct in there thinking and there is no way trying to prove wrong.

Why do you guys tell the deatils?just tell that you didn't eat NV or any other kind of food.Does she also comes with you?If the lie gives you peace of mind then lie or ignore.Just ignore the way your husband ignores.

6. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

You need to tell your husband that you are fed up feeling like a naughty school kid in your own house everytime you eat non veg. It's high time he talked with his mom about backing off from the veg/nonveg issue. For example, "Mom, lately you have been pushing the veg vs non veg issue way too much. It needs to stop. We like to eat nonveg. END OF STORY. We don't want to hear about this again."

It's ridiculous. If you want to cook nonveg at home, that is 100% your right to do so, if you want. If his mom doesn't like it, perhaps she can go live with that oh-so-great strictly veg family she keeps talking about.

7. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Actually no. My MIL's ILs were not interfering types at all. She never lived with them and hardly ever visited them.So, it's not true that she always obeyed her elders. Quite interestingly, My DH's grandparents( both sides) did not eat any onion/garlic due to religious reasons and my ILs only eat food with onion/garlic.

This is what I told DH. So, from now on, we are going to try this strategy. we will tell her we are going to eat veg food only. There's no way she can prove otherwise.

Priya, I think the real problem is that she wants to come with us but she can't because she doesn't eat what we eat. so, she wants us to eat only what she eats.She does't want to say it directly so she is creating all these issues.
    I think you are right. I don't want to lie but may be it's the best option to keep the peace.

8. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

ASG, I doubt my DH is ever going to talk back to his mother.He thinks it's best to ignore and advises me to do the same. I guess it will be best if I go along.
    So far, she was only saying all this to DH(I overheard everything). He says, she says all this to him, so why am I worrying.
    Apart from food, there are other issues. Like y'day I put on some English pop music and She says you should not be playing this stuff, you should be playing bhajans. This time she said it in my presence. So, I said ok I will put on some bhajans in your room.(and you can sit there and listen to bhajans) This immediately shut her up and she said sheepishly I was just joking.(but, I could see DH jumping up and down when I said that)
    So, basically, she wants to control our lives and wants us to do what she likes.

9. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

That was a good reply. If your husband won't lay down the ground rules for how things are going to be in the house, you need to tell him to STOP jumping up and down everytime you stand up for yourself. She could be alive for next 20-30 years... it is not realistic for you to give up eating non veg or listening to pop music for that length of time. So tell him to BACK OFF when you assert your right to eat xyz or listen to xyz. Tell him plain and simple you are just not willing to give up everything you like in your own house and that you are not open to being controlled by his mom.