1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Veeru - the survivor !! (Concluding part)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knot2share, Sep 10, 2009.

1. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

My neighbours arrived this morning around 7am. I had not slept the entire night trying to figure out what I would do when I see them. I was not ready to face them on my own and wanted my hubby to be with me too.

As always I set out in the morning to the shop/gym etc and was walking back home. I noticed my neighbour’s car outside on the driveway. So I was ready to approach them and talk. As I got closer to the house, I found that the garage door was locked and so was their front door. So I walked home. I decided to have a shower and then visit and hand over their mails.

As I was just about to have a shower, my neighbour knocked on the door. I greeted him and lead him into the family area. I could see it on his face that my neighbour was shocked in disbelief. His wife and kids them came over as well. His wife gave me a concerned smile and apologized for the trauma and trouble we had to go through. I expressed how upsetting it was for us too and we did not know how it all happened. I tried to explain everything as it happened but with kids running around the house, whatever I said seemed to be fading away in their noise. I think they got the gist of it anyway.

The funny part was that when I asked my neighbour how many fish exactly were there in the tank, he told me 35 !! I was shocked. I had managed to remove about 15 dead ones and had found a few lying under a log but it was too deep for me to reach even if I were to put my hands in. So where were the rest ?? He replies that there were some other types of fish too that are always hidden under the log. Seemingly they never come out and feed on filth in the tank (like cleaners). I had no idea about that. Would they have survived even in that filthy tank from suffocation, if I had kept the pump ON? Would they have been able to withstand the rising temperature? I guess I won’t know now as they are all dead I think. I had switched OFF the pump once I had removed the surviving ones that I knew of. I did not want the water temperature to keep rising and then create some other problems.

Then I showed them Veeru. They were surprised to see that one among the lot had survived. He displayed his stunt again to all of us (fit frenzy). My neighbour touched the water in the bowl and said that he was freezing in the cold water and with no oxygen. He was almost certain that Veeru was going to die. I had seen this stunt happen three times to me before and was not going to give up. Quickly poured out some water from the bowl and added some warm water into the bowl. It is very unconventional indeed but works for me. Veeru came back in a few seconds. The problem with these type of fish is that you can’t leave the water to become too cold for them and they don’t handle change of water too often, quite well. I could not do both and so tried to keep the water warm to an extent by changing the water only once a day and hoped that the fish would survive. Veeru, that way has been the most accommodating type. He has put up with everything with me.

I asked them to take Veeru away in that same bowl. I was not sad to see him leave but really relieved. My neighbour is now cleaning up their tank to make room for Veeru. He will have new buddies soon I hope and life will go on. But the sheer determination and will of Veeru is something to be admired about. We all need a bit of “Veeruness” within us. Never give up attitude!!

2. Sheebavinod

Sheebavinod Gold IL'ite

K2S,

all is well ttat ends well-that adage goes well here:).Veeru is back in his home and soon with his new buddies but the hero did leave the veeruness in you and hope for many of the readers here. Now take a deep breath and have a stress free night dear.

cheers

sheeba

3. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

Never knew one more episode was on offing. Any way I too was waiting to know how your neighbours would react. your veeru has really launched in the blogosphere. Expect more blogs:)

4. bindhusubi

bindhusubi Senior IL'ite

Atlast the wait is over. thank God for Veeru's survival and for ur neighbour's positive attitude and understanding. now you're at ease, right? gud. now have a peaceful sleep.

5. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

Thank god.I sighed with relief when i read this blog
    vijji

6. jils

jils Bronze IL'ite

oh ......so considered my request!!!
    veeru ki jai ho.......

7. Anabika

Anabika Silver IL'ite

HI K2s,

Very well narrated. I can totally understand how relived you would have felt. Don't worry about this incident and try to remember only the good thing about it. Take some rest and be ready with your next blog.

Keep blogging
    Anabika

8. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Sheeba/Manchitra/Bindhu/Vijji/Jils/Anabika...........Thank you very very much for being patient enough to read through all of them and taking the time to post your comment as well. I did surely sleep well and am glad I tried to satisfy your curiosity. Anabika, thank you for your kind words of consolation. I am happy you liked it.

Jils, totally agree with you.......Veeru ki jai ho !! :)

9. brindaarun

brindaarun Silver IL'ite

Hi

Execellent narration.. While reading i felt as if i was watching the suitation... so realistic way of writing..

10. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Thank you Brindaarun. I am glad you feel so. I enjoyed writing it too. Infact got really carried away. I was planning on just one post for this. It then became 2 parts and later 3 parts !! Sometimes I find it too hard to shorten things and sometimes I find it too hard to expand !! I need to find a good balance. Thank you for visiting.