1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Vastu - Is It Relevant These Days?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by bruised234, Aug 15, 2017.

1. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

I was just wondering how relevant Vastu Shastra is for the current period? There are four directions - North East South West and the probability of houses being in the South or West or in between (Combinations of North/south and east/west) is higher than 50%, in that case how much can we follow Vastu? South East/South West/ South facing or entrant houses are considered not favorable but how come people who are living in these houses are thriving? I used to think it could be because the horoscope was aligned with these directions, but that was not what I actually saw in reality. There are people for whom the direction is unfavorable(per horoscope), yet they bought the property and now are doing very well. If that is due to their individual horoscope, then to what extent can we consider Vastu? I tried to look for East/North/NorthEast facing houses considering mine, husband/kids/IL's horoscope and as per rules of horoscope+vastu, these are the only directions favorable but we are not able to settle on such houses and unfortunately the real estate scenario in our place is very bad for a buyer and people are happy just landing in a house. Come to think of it, I am wondering if we can't do much about it, what is the use of considering it even? Vastu seemed to be more relevant in the olden days when house plots were much bigger and house was not right next to a road, when it was possible to decide which direction the entrance could be in.. we don't have that choice now.

SCSusila likes this.

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

I am a non-believer in vastu,horoscopes or feng shui. Not sure how the positions / directions of doors/windows/rooms affect our lives in vastu! For astrology, not sure how the moon & the planets, millions of miles away determine when I will marry, whether I will have a kid or whether I will live in India or abroad.. Poor planets, we want to put the entire blame on them , if only they could tell us how they feel!:tongueclosed: Are all these so called sciences a ploy to disown responsibility for anything we humans do?

After that, need I say more about the relevance in modern times?:)

sindmani, Sandycandy and kkrish like this.
  3. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

If you believe in vastu, horoscopes etc, I eould suggest you to get something as per your directional preferences. If you do not care, get the house you like the most. Because you do not want to buy a house facing in the south/south east/north directions and live in fear for as long as you live in it and keep worrying if you have made the right choice.

Personally, I dont believe in all these things.

Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  4. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@bruised234
    I think Indian concepts are mixed up and are not relevant these days. Vastu is basically art of construction designed for Indian climate to get a lot of ventilation and sanity is maintained in the planning.

For example: 1. Prayer, kitchen and kids rooms are toward North or east, where there is lot of morning sunlight, good for health
    2. Master bedrooms are preferred to wards south west where there is evening sun and it harmful for small kids but adults can mange that.
    3. All the bathrooms should be towards south and drinking & cooking stuff to wards north. If this if followed by all home there will be order & better for town planning & maintenance.

Vastu doesn't mater these days and outside india. Mixing with horoscope has no meaning according to me, if your karma is good ever thing will be good. So don't stretch much on it and choose one that has good ventilation and security.

5. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

There used to be a time when I wasn't sure these factors had any impact in life. But now I do. Maybe not to a crazy extent, but some belief, I did observe that barring a few cases, most south/SE/SW facing houses had not so good sunlight, west facing houses had too much sunlight in the evening. There were other reasons for me to have a preference, probably because the two places we lived most happily were facing N/E directions. But then, is it really in our control to get what we like or prefer? I have been looked at in the most condescending manner whenever I have raised it - it was partly because of the direction, partly because I really didn't like the house that I brought it up. Those that I discounted were too good. On the whole, I understood that resisting change is not a really good idea. Vastu may be genuine science, but it is not practical these days. It was made for a better time and does not fit in modern times.

sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  6. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

I don't believe in Vaastu but if you do go ahead and buy something that you feel good about and meets your specifications . You don't want to live in your own home with the fear of something going wrong because it did not follow Vastu or feng shui.
    On a side note , life is nothing but a series of good and bad events , we all have our share irrespective of the direction of the main entrance or kitchen

In any case you should be happy when you buy a house , so for your peace of mind wait till you find the right one .

Naari likes this.
  7. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

I didn't have much choice in this regard Sandycandy. I just left it to providence after being treated nastily regarding the same. I decided I would rather not lose my current peace of mind for something which I am not even sure will give me any peace of mind. It is not easy to run away from destiny, good or bad, just accept whatever comes to oneself.

sindmani likes this.
  8. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Vaastu, horoscope , numerology etc has very
    Less significance compared to our way of thinking. Only a person's actions, thoughts , their confidence , little prayer for oneself as well as for the betterment of world will lift a person. Yes I know astrology , vastu is all science but impact is less compared to how we approach life. A robber just because he is born on an auspicious day it in a vast home does not mean he has no sins or a great jail free life is guaranteed.Sins are washed away (slowly it takes time ) only when he reforms in to a good person and does not steal. This is an example

Naari likes this.
  9. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

I dont believe , because different exoerts say different things !
    They say. In olden days , the whole town was built according to suitable plans to give maximum light and ventilation and space for proper storage and movement for all . Actually , most of it is only commonsense .

But trying to rectify some vastu dosha with a mirror or a doll is something i cannot digest at all .

10. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

Even I used to find it amusing, but when one encounters problems in life, it is natural to look for solutions, when the problems are too much to handle, then people resort to anything. Sometimes a person may be uncomfortable with certain things, but they can't do much but to just watch. Why do people dread 13 number? why dread certain things? Because of fear. When life is going smoothly, any human is normal, only when they are overwhelmed with problems they can't handle, they look for such things.

Naari, SCSusila and sindmani like this.