1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varsha, Rain, And The Rhyme

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jananirbk, May 6, 2010.

1. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Varsha, Rain, And The Rhyme

It was on 15<SUP>th</SUP> of October 2007, midnight, when my labor was induced!! I was very sleepy despite the pain!!!! I have never been awake to midnight for anything like this before!! "Can I have my delivery tomorrow morning?" I inquired the doctor.

Some of the nurses started to laugh among themselves. What is there to giggle when a person is in so much of pain that I have to skip a night's sleep? I could not understand!!

Suddenly, thunder rattles the window and walls and the rain begins to fall!! It was raining heavily when I delivered my blessing of life. I always loved rain like most of you and I can relate most of my romantic and sensitive moments with the rain!! And only then it dawn on me that I will name my little angel "Varsha!!!!"

This flashback is just to relate to the rainy evening a day before!! My transcription work ended that day surprisingly early by 3 p.m. itself. I was shutting down my system thinking about the possibilities of going out, while my daughter and my mother were playing with the doctor's set in the porch. Suddenly, the skies grew dark clouds and rain started to fall!! Seeing the rain, my daughter lost interest in that doctor's set and started to jump and dance reciting the rhymes she knows.

She ran into the rain laughing loud before I could catch her and I was so happy to see her enjoying!! When the rain diminished in intensity, my mother made some paper boats and they both float them in the rainwater!!

My daughter is now reciting "Rain, Rain, Go Away!!" Did she really mean it? Of course, she did not and I am sure the rain knew it too!! It is just the start and the rainy season is yet to set in!! I wish that my work to get over early in the rainy days to spend time with my daughter!!

Anyways, that was a rejuvenating evening with a ravishing rain and rhythmic rhyme!!

2. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Hi Janani,

A lovely name, Varsha... my niece is also called Varsha after the rainy season

What fun to get wet in the first rain of the year... and the warm smell of wet earth when the raindrops fall on the parched soil...

A sweet picture of Varsha singing in the rain!

Love,
    Padma

3. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Janani

That was beautiful. So much emotions and messages conveyed in a post that I read quite swiftly and felt so good at the end. Lovely introduction to Varsha! Sorta seems like a Maniratnam movie clip while I try to imagine everything that you have narrated. Would have been nice to see grandmother, daughter and grand-daughter - all three of you enjoy in the rain.

4. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear Padma!!

I am more than happy to receive your first FB!! I am glad that you like my daughter's name too!!! You are right! Rains always stir up lot of different emotions depending upon the situation!! It is always close to our heart! It is my privilege to have you here!! Thank you!! :bowdown

Regards,
    Janani Natarajan

5. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear Knot2Share:

It was so kind of you to relate that anecdote with great Manirathnam movies!! I am really, truly flattered!! Thanks for your lovely feedback, which really made my day. :bowdown

Regards,
    Janani Natarajan

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi janani,

i guess little varsha HAS to enjoy the rain to live up to her name :) but actually Getting drenched in the rain is an instinctive pleasure.we suppress it as we grow old.

My dh and dd never missed the first rains in Mumbai and to the surprise of all in the building would dance and sing in the rain.both of them never paid any attention to my admonishing " she might catch a cold":)

7. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Janani...
    what co-incidence even my son was born when it was pouring cats & dogs...but that was in the monsoon (18 aug 1997) and I hardly had any visitors in the hospital as mumbai was flooded for 3 days:hide:....My DH and Mom would wade through knee deep waters to see me!!! And can you imagine every year it pours on 18th of aug wherever we are...
    Varsha is a lovely name for a baby born went it rained.
    K

8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Janani
    Looks like this is your 1st thread into this site.
    A nice write up on rain and the history of how you got your dalling daughter's name Varsha after the rains.
    Oh I am missing those lovely sites of rains and the lovely smell of the rain when it kisses the earth after the hot summers.
    Enjoying with family has it own happiness. I remember when the 1st rain falls sometimes it brings in the hailstones too when young use to run in the rain to collect them. but now all these are only sweet memories which we can think of when someone writes such lovelyy posts on some incidents like this.

9. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear Mindian!

You said it right!! Varsha has to love rain, no other option for her :). Thatz nice to know your DH and DD love to drench in rain!!! My DH is like you, cautious about our DD health and even if it drizzle lightly, he will stop his two-wheeler and wait for the rain to stop!! Thanks for FB Mindy!!

10. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear Kelly:

Nice to know that your DS also born in the rainy season!! You should feel good that you had minimal to no visitors in the hospital. In my case, my DH family is a big one and the hospital was near my Dad's office and so visitors from there, and I hardly had time to rest and feed my DD. Thanks for your FB Kelly.

Regards,
    Janani Natarajan