1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varalotti's Entry For the Valentine Month's Contest - 2007

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    Some how I missed out on this one!

My account stands in debit with respect to so many persons (Remember the cardinal rule of Accountancy: Debit the receiver and credit the giver) and to such a large value, that had all those gifts been financial transactions, a competent court would have declared me bankrupt long back.
    That was a very beautiful way of expressing your debts. In a sense we are all, always indebted to some one or other all through our lives! Even if we may be able to clear all debts, materialistic or otherwise, one debt always stands on the liability side of the balancesheet of life and the debtor is GOD! Every breath we inhale is at HIS Mercy! Can we ever repay that? In the spiritual sense, we are born bankrupt, we live bankrupt and we die bankrupt! Then why so much of ego? Why so much of arrogance? No man has ever been able to find an answer to these simple questions!

But the two gifts, which I am going to describe here, have stayed with me ever since they were given. Strange enough, when both these gifts were given, I did not know their real worth and worse still, I did not even relish them.
    I did not know their real worth and worse still, I did not even relish them- It is the same with every one of us. We never know the worth of all that our parents give us in the form of work or discipline. But coming to think of it now I feel every bit of my character I owe to them. I remember even my mother wanted me to do CA but I being a dreamy girl wanted to do nothing of that sort but just wanted to get married and settle down! Yes, some times in life I HAVE repented for not having listened to my mother. But then I do not have regrets too!

A life full of difficulties is what teaches the most beautiful lessons of life. That is one of the reasons why I accept life as it comes. I want to enjoy every bit of my life, be it sorrow, pain or joy! And whatever I am today is because of these experiences. So what if I didn’t become an accountant, I have become a better human being.
    Yet another beautiful tribute to your father!
    Regards,
    Malathi

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala,
    I am moved by the kind gesture your father made to your brother and how he made very good use of it and moved still more by the fact that he is taking excellent care of your parents. May he always be blessed.
    To complete CA and ICWA in three years is a feat. Hats off to your loving brother.
    You are right. One tamil song says that God Himself comes as our parents.

தாயாகி அன்பு பாலூட்டி வளர்த்தாய்
    தந்தையாய் வந்தென் சிந்தை கவர்ந்தாய்

You came as my mother and nursed me through
    And as my father and loved me too!
    thanks.

I too had this fear earlier. But seeing some of the youngsters I am convinced that they are better than us. We had to have scarcity and lack of opportunities to teach us discipline. But these youngsters are disciplined even in the midst of affluence. That requires greater maturity, Kamala. Let me request you, never lose your trust on them!
    thanks for the fb
    regards,

3. varalotti

Dear Lalitha,
    You are right. It is impossible for me to even think of forgetting these gifts. Every family makes such sacrifice to see us through life. Thanks for the kind words.
    This was not a regular post made by me. In 2007 Feb, IL announced a contest asking us to describe the "best gifts you received in your life" and this is the prize-winning entry. You can go to the contest thread following this link
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/c...entine-month-contest-bonanza-indusladies.html
    That contest was announced around Valentines Day and hence that name. I just used that name to tell you that this is not a new entry but just a "maru oliparappu"
    thanks for the fb, lalitha.
    love,

4. varalotti

Dear Hema,
    Thanks. We are what we are thanks to our parents.
    Once they asked Einstein, "Sir, in the world of science you look taller than Sir Issac Newton? May I know the reason?"
    "Simple," replied the great scientist. "I happen to stand on the shoulders of Newton"
    Same is the case with us. We look taller than our parents because we happen to stand on their shoulders.

That's quite interesting, Hema. I remember reading a Jeffrey Archer's short story where the son would love to be an automobile buff. But his father would force him to train himself as a Chef. The son would hate his father but nevertheless to for the training. Soon he will emerge as the world's best Chef.

Thanks Hema. I too felt nice reading your fb. I am happy and moved, that my post has kindled memories in every one and every one has come up with something connected with their parents.

regards,

5. varalotti

Dear Usha,

thanks. You are right. When we realise the worth of their gifts and want to thank them, they are not there to receive our gratitude.
    I am happy you spotted the lines of Devika which I loved to read.
    thanks usha.
    regards,

6. varalotti

Dear Malathi,
    You didn't miss out on this, as you have now read and replied. This was buried in the contest entries. (See the link I have given in my reply to Lalitha and you can read the fresh comments from ILites soon after this was posted circa March 2007)

I am happy that you liked this statement.

Now you know, my friend, when it comes to God, our favourite subject, I would love to have some kind of teasing. Let me do it with my accountant's lingo. Another cardinal rule of accountancy is that there is a proper accounting transaction only when there are two distinct entities. When a business entity transacts with itself, there is no valid transaction for us accountants.
    In the beginning, if it can be called so, there was only God and how could he have created this univeres and us, but from His (Her) own self? Is God different from us? Is there any God outside us? So that liability though great, though unrepayable, though should be the largest item in our balance sheet, is still not a liability, as it what we owe to ourselves.

You have taken the most difficult of all careers, that of a housewife, by choice. Very few do that. Hats off to you. Believe me Malathi, running a happy home, bringing up children and sustaining a happy marriage are at least a thousand times more difficult than preparing the balance sheet or applying the International Accounting Standards, or coverting the accounts from Indian GAAP to US GAAP. Your husband and your children (Bless them all) should be proud and lucky to have a dedicated housewife.

Had I known about these words a few months earlier I would have incorporated in my book on religion with due credits to you.

thanks, Malathi.

regards,

7. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    I liked your reply to my post in your accounting language! When we are in the adhvaitha
    ( meditation) mode we are able to be one with God. But alas, the day to day activities of our lives keep us bogged down to simple earthlings and make us forget our divine nature! That is when we see God as different from us. It will take a long long time to reach that level even though sometimes in our present conditions also we are able to see a glimpse of our divine nature.

Thank you for your compliments. But I am sure my mom would have been happy if I had opted for a professional course though I do know she is happy with whatever I am today.

May be you can use it at an appropriate time! You have my full permission if you feel you need it! SHE will let you know when it will be needed!
    Regards,
    Malathi

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  8. varalotti

My Dear GFs,
    You have gifted me something very precious - your love and affection on my 50th birthday. Should I not make at least a small return gift? I have just made an attempt.
    In a few seconds from now you can click on the link Return Gift in my signature and find it out for yourselves.
    Please tell me whether you liked the gift or not.
    love,

9. varalotti

Dear GFs,

Want to read my middle on an actress arrested for prostitution?

Go to the thread My Middle In Deccan Herald.

Love,
    sridhar

10. varalotti

My Dear GFs,

What the hell is the connection, or the similarity between Varalotti and the Super Star, Rajnikanth?

Curious to know? Well, read, 'In a Way I'm Like The Super Star.'

And do let me know what do you think.

love,