1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varalotti Sir, you did it again for the n th time!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by Chitvish, Oct 6, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Anaivarukkum Oru Kodi Nanri!

Dear All,
    thanks every one for reading and reviewing my work. Your words have always been a great boost to me to write even more and even better.

I find from the posts that some of you is not happy with the second story. Yes, the first story deals with a more powerful topic, parental affection. But in the second story the story telling technique is very important. And on a deeper level it contains an even more powerful moral. The moment we think of a scene in which the man of the house and the maid is alone, our mind works in top gear. All of us have that stereotyped thinking. The central theme of the story is to break that thinking. And to view situation afresh. As a wise man said, approach the world as if you are a child. Which means see the word with fresh eyes every time.

And Sudha, the answer to your question, Why they are called Oru Nimida Kathaikal, is here. It takes only a minute to read. But to think it over and put it in writing it may take even an hour. Thinking may go on for days.

And in the 10 paise story, there is another hidden moral too. The hero goes and asks every person whether that person has registered the hero's number. But he does not think of registering any number himself. This attitude is what is brought out by the poetic lines,

I went out to seek a friend but did not find any
    I went out to be a friend and did find many.

Yes, Kamla said, Petha Manam Pithu, (the second part is Pillai Manam Kallu) the hero not only not registers his parents name, but it also didn't occur to him to ask his parents.
    So whose number did the hero register? You go on guessing.

Let's forget about the story's hero. Do you know whose number I registered? My wife's. Of course my wife registered her friend's number. And my wife had an explanation for that too. "When I want to talk to you, I'll give a missed call. You dial my number at the cost of 10 paise."
    My dad did not register my number as he does not move out at all. I am not saying this with sadness but as a plain fact, no one in the world has registered my number under the 10 paise scheme.
    While choosing the numbers to be registered for the 10 paise scheme, this story plot occurred to me.
    And Chitra I need to send a consultation bill to you, because it was I who first told you about the 10 paise scheme.
    Thanks once again, ladies for the enthusiastic words of praise.
    regards,
    Varalotti

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  2. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Varalotti, Message to you from a Non-Member of this Community !

Dear Varalotti,

This post is on behalf of a non-member of IL Community, It comes from my hubby to you !

Last Friday, while we were going out in the evening, I was narrating both your 1 min stories to my husband in the car. (My husband already knows about you and your story writing skills and my involvement with IndusLadies) ! First started off with your "10 paisa scheme" and then went on to the other one. After hearing both the stories, he seemed very impressed and appreciated both your stories especially "10 paisa scheme" so much. He said the story deeply touched him as the father character in your story is just a reflection of his own dad, and made him miss his dad and mom very much! He said your story expresses in a very beautiful way, parents love for their kids. Frankly, I was surprised to see this emotion in him, as opposed to me, my husband doesn't involve himself in story reading etc ! Your story actually made a difference (that too without him reading it), the highlight is yet to come..The incident happened on Friday evening and on Saturday evening , out of the blue, he again mentioned that your 10 paisa story was too wonderful, that showed that he had not taken your story off his mind and your story was lingering in his mind for more than 24 hours. !

As he expressed his wish to let you know through me that he enjoyed your story a lot, am fulfilling his wish through this post.

He asked me to convey his wishes to you for such a nice story and for all your future ventures !

Regards,
    Preethi (on behalf of Prem)

3. varalotti

That's My Real Reward, Preethi!

Dear Preethi,

You have made my day with your beautiful post. If I had made Prem think about his Dad with that short story then I have not struggled in vain.

And I should also place on record the good and soft heart of your husband, Prem (very true to his name which as you know means love)

Convey my regards to him. He will always remain blessed and so would you be.

Thanks for your post once again with which you made my day, Preethi.
    regards,
    Varalotti

4. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

I read it in Vikatan

How come after reading those stories and after joining IL I was unable to place you? Infact me and mom were discussing about the 10 paise scheme story as we took turns every alternate day on the same time to call each other through our land line which keeps us sit in a place. If that scheme comes we could take our respective mobiles(as we have diff connection) and talk. My brother when he came to Chennai from Banglore eagerly enquired me about the service provider who is giving such a scheme, so that we all could chat freely.

Hats off that got us all another round closer. Moreover we narrated the story to my grandmother recently when she came to stay with my parents, she said I have your grandfather's mobile and if that scheme has come could you please get me that so that I can ask all your uncles(she has five sons) and your mom to change to that cell company.

Such is the impact of your story.

5. varalotti

I feel happy now, Rajmiarun!

Dear Rajmiarun,
    Well, when the 10 paise scheme came (I think some 3, 4 months back) it did create a stir in our family. A lot of exchanges took place. A lot of soul searching (of course telephone bill- scanning for the numbers frequently called) happened. My wife and my mil have got each others numbers in the scheme. My wife has her friends landline. My father has his friends number. My colleague has his friend's number. And so on. I have my wife's number.
    One day I sat down to think. Who has my number? In reality no one has, as of now in the scheme. That gave me the idea to the story. Happy you liked it and happier still that you and the members of your family have been discussing it for a while.
    Thanks Rajmiarun.
    regards,
    sridhar