1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varalotti in the US -4 The Old Monsters And The New Lessons!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Sep 12, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr. Vinoran,
    You have raised many questions in your post. Let me attempt to answer them as far as possible.

In the US too people have switched over to the new ones. In fact the switch-over is faster here. They simply abandon the old-model pieces and go for the new one, not waiting for the exchange offers. In fact my hostess switched her electric-powered stove to a gas-powered one. Though the former was in good working condition nobody wanted it even for free. She had to give it to a Mexican who came for some housework and along with that had to give 100 $ as dumping charge.

But some of the rich and old Americans still preserve their old cars and old gramaphone players as souvenirs and occasionally use them too. But the general trend has changed.

Every where in the world, the rule is that old has to give way to the new. So our mission is to just keep us always new and curious in our approach, our thoughts and ideas.

About my books:
    a) Tamil Books: Please visit the following threads. (You can click them open from here itself)

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/v...ial-stories/1821-my-first-books-out-seek.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/v...-stories/4043-my-next-set-books-released.html

b) English Book
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/v...-stories/9908-good-news-seek-your-wishes.html

If you have any doubts or questions you may post here or pm me.

Thanks for the kind words and the interest you have evinced in my books.
    regards,

2. varalotti

Dear Vinoran,

What I am doing is real. But it was absolutely safe. Vandhana and others have guessed it right. It is in Pacific Science Center, Seattle, near the Space Needle. It is at a height of about 30 feet from the ground. But the cycle is so well secured to the bar that there is no way of anybody falling down.

But I have to admit that I was a little shaken seeing the floor from that height. In fact my friend called me to turn my face for the picture. But in my fear I did not do that.

Thanks for the concern. It is not computer graphics.
    regards,

3. varalotti

Hi Vandhana,

You are right Vandhana. Pacific Science Center was for me a full-fledged educational institution. I learnt so many things on that day. This cycle-ride atop a 30 feet high bar was another learning in fear.
    It is a place worth visiting.

regards,

4. varalotti

Thanks, Shobana. And you know what, Shobana? We accountants become obsolete faster than everybody else. When I passed my CA Final way back, we had Estate Duty Act in India, one of the most complex piece of legislations throughout the world. Three years later it was abolished just like that. The long hours spent in learning that law became outdated one fine morning. And in 1992 computers came to us in our place and rendered other means of work outdated. Now tax law has changed. Company law has changed. We efile the tax and company returns in India - a feature which is yet to become popular in the US.
    I know a lot of my colleagues who are stuck in some point of time. They are intelligent people and possess hard-earned skills. But those skills have gone out of date. It is like becoming the best candle-maker in the world when suddenly Edison comes along and invents the bulb!

You are right. It is Seattle's Pacific Science Center. It was no acrobatic trick. I actually rode the cycle at that height. But the cycle and I were so safely secured that there was no chance of falling down, though I could not escape the butterflies in my stomach.
    regards,

5. varalotti

Dear Kamla,
    Thanks. Every sight, every thought and every act can be a lesson. I being what I am could only pick up so many lessons. There are quite a lot out there.

I was safe not because of the black belt which any case acrobats wear. I was safe because the cycle was fixed firmly on to the rails and its centre of gravity was managed in such a way that there is no way I could fall down. Of course if one has vertigo problems one should not attempt it.

Fear is another feeling that has not been studied enough. We always run away from fear. But once we learn to make friends with fear, we can know what energy it gives us and how to distinguish between the right and the wrong type of fear.

Well, that is scheduled for some other day.

Vandhana has started the count-down already. In the Bay Area it is going to be a meeting of 3 Vs. Varalotti, Vandhana and Vidya (Vidhukumar). Seeking your wishes and blessings,
    Love,
    sridhar

6. varalotti

Thanks, Sunitha. I will enjoy my ride so long as I am not taken for one.
    You have said that your place is "The Birth Place of Aviation". By any chance it is near Seattle? I had been to the Museum of Flights in Seattle. It was awesome. Seattle is the home of Boeing.

Regards,

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar Sir

No,it is Ohio,the birthplace of the original aviation,I myself got to know only after coming here:mrgreen:

8. varalotti

Thanks a lot, Sunitha, for the information.
    regards,

9. varalotti

Re: Varalotti in the US -5

Most Gracious ILites,

Having had a fabulous party at Vandhana's place, now it's time for us to learn something about dinosaurs. And what they have in common with the mothers-in-law and Actor Ajith Kumar. Dinosaur,mi and Ajith are teaming up this Wednesday to teach us a profound lesson.

Go to the latest Wednesdays with Varalotti thread. Remember ladies, you are welcome even if you are a mother-in-law, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law or just a plain mother, daughter or sister.

Looking forward to see you all there,
    Love,

10. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Hello Sridhar,
    At last I got to catch up with a few of your write ups from US! This one particularly impressed me since it is my pet subject! What brilliance- Comparing a discarded turbine to parenting! Every word you wrote is very true. unless we adapt ourselves to the changing life styles we would not even be considered fit for a museum piece. Even yesterday a worried mother was discussing her adolescent son's problems and seeking guidance (a distress call from Bangalore to Chennai!). In today's world with the latest technologies available to every kid, parenting has indeed become a nightmare for most parents, but then I feel a part of the blame has to be taken/shared by the parents themselves.
    So I am seeing that you are having a wonderful time with our Ilites in US amidst your busy schedule! The Ilites also have had a great time with you! We are waiting for your new story-'He' and when will that happen? have you been able to start the groundwork on that yet?
    Regards,
    Malathi