1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varalotti in the US -1

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Aug 31, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sreelatha,
    Thanks for the welcome.
    I have got four or five parts lined up already and will be posting them whenever I have time.
    I am not sure whether BayArea ILites are lucky, or I am lucky. Indhu's brother lives in San Jose. I am going to visit him and along with that visit will meet those people.
    I am coming to the East Coast in the final leg of my journey. But then I will be on a kind of whirldwind tour with my partner. But it is two months away. Let me see what can be done on that.
    regards,

2. varalotti

Most Gracious ILites,
    Encouraged by your kind words I am now posting Varalotti in the US -2 in the Wednesdays with Varalotti Forum.
    Here's the link
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/w...11711-varalotti-in-the-us-2-a.html#post124040

Let me have your comments please. I am only narrating incidents which are interesting and which have hidden lessons for us to read.
    The Bay Area ILite Meeting is scheduled on 14th/15th (mostly it will be on 14th) September, 2007.
    Any one interested please contact Vandhana by mail or pm.
    love,

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  3. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

varalotti sir

dear sridhar sir,

i choose to reply to ur thread, instead of posting new thread to you since i dont know, whether you will then see me post.

i get this bout of depresssion frequently that why i am born, what is my mission in this earth. I also start questioning, my day to day activities, etc...

i have a good family with DH and 2 kids. I was working before mrg, and continued even after mrg. Then when my daughter was 2 yrd old, my husband has to go abroad for project for 2-3yrs, so i quit my job and joined him.

Meanwhile i delivered my son abroad, and when he was 1 year old we came back to India, then my son was very naughty, so i did not joined the work, i thought let him grow some more. I took up some PG course, and i was trying to finish it, i even finsihed 2 semester.

Then again now my husband has to go abroad, this time too i joined him again. Now we came here almost settled in routine, my elder daughter goes to school she is 6 yrs old, younger one 3 yrs, i take hime to pvt school.

So my whole day is summed like this, making lunch for husband, kdis, mornng brkfst, then taking son to playschool, then aroudn 2 bringing him back then bringing daugther from ehr school back aroudn 3-3.30, then giving some food to them, then preparing evening dinner.

My DH is a person of few words, and doesnt talk much, he loves me i know that, but he is not expressive, he likes to read a lot, sometime this also irritates me.

In between the day, surfing net, online, happen to see ur writings on industladies by chance and got hooked.

Sometime i get so bored with these routine, that my depression bout starts again, and i start thining of my presenece in this earth and questioning my, my idenitty, what i want to do. i am confused, please guide me.

waiting for your reply.

rgds

4. varalotti

Re: varalotti sir

Dear Radsahana,

That was a really an outpouring from your heart. For such a deep rooted problem I can't suggest an off the cuff solution.

But in your case, Rad, the problem seems so obvious, at least to me. Or am I missing something, I do not know.

I will tell you a story. One of my family friends who had an active life in Delhi in an automobile company retired from service when he was about 60. You know what he did? He took a house on lease in Kodaikkanal a hill station near Madurai, Tamilnadu and started a peaceful retired life. He told me that everybody was going to envy his retired life. His house was near the Kurinji Andavar temple. He used to visit the temple quite often. In spite of all that he became a manic depressive within three months.

can you guess the reason? He had had an active life in Delhi. From there to a laid back life in a hill station was jumping directly into the valley of depression.

You seem to have done the same thing, Rad. You have time for your DH, your kids and all. But you do not have any time for yourself. Everybody, man or woman, need a place to express themselves, to bring out who they are. Otherwise there would be an identity crisis.

What should you do now? Try to broach the subject gently to your husband. Ask him to find a job for you. I am not sure whether your visa would let you work there. Otherwise try to get some work at home.

If nothing works out try to find out what activity interests you most and engage yourself in that. The best way to beat this depression is to learn something. Be in some group activity. You can learn sewing, embroidery, accountancy, computer languages, Thevaram or Naalayira Divya Prabandam, yoga, carnatic music.
    Try to find out what interests you the most and do it.
    I will pray for you.
    Wish you best of luck.
    sridhar

5. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

varalotti sir

Dear Sridhar Sir,

First I salute to your promptness in replying to me. Before writing to you i was sure i will get reply, but never expected it so soon.
    With your busy schedule you took time off to reply to my mail, this is the thin line of demarcation between the great people like you, who cares for ordinary soul like me and the commoner.

It was really uplifting for me to read your suggestion. Your suggestion about yoga, made me thinking about volunteering for yoga classes, since back home i used to attend yoga classes, although i have not pass any certification course, i am good at pranayams,suryanamaskars, and some asanas.

You were right about my visa status, which will not allow me to work. I would also look into the option of working from home.

You have quoted incidence about retirement, i think i have read that one in one of your writings in indusladies, i couldnt exactly pin point, maybe in "oh my god series" or in "Yamini and Arvind series" (yes i have read almost all your writings,including short stories, SHE episode, He episode, still not finished all your writings although )

As of now i cannot PM to you since i am a newlite, soon i would like to and share my deeper thoughts with you on various issues.

Also i am reading "Illusions" by Richard Bach. I must admit i am finding it hard to understand initially, but i am continuing my reading though. You must be already knowing about it. You can help me in understanding it better.

thanks a lot once gain.

6. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Sridharji, the post is hilarious with “I went with a tape to the shop to buy the hand bag”. “referring to my weight (which is perennially over the allowed limit)” but also a reminder of how kindly God helps us when we least expect. When I was shifting from Pune to Bangalore I had to dump at least a travel bag full of my clothes and other accessories fearing of carrying luggage which is way beyond the allowed limit. The limit was 25Kgs and still when I checked in my baggage weight read a crisp 35Kgs!!! 10Kgs more the allowed limit and I was warned by some of my friends that if the flight is full they might not allow excess baggage even if we pay extra. But to my surprise not only did they agree to take it they didn’t ask me a single rupee extra for the excess baggage.

7. varalotti

Re: varalotti sir

Dear Rad,
    I enjoyed reading Illusions by Bach. The book is meant to be read very slowly. Read two pages and then close the book. Savour the meaning and then continue reading.
    Once you are done with this book get Bach's Jonathan Livingston Seagull and also his short story collection Curious Lives.
    Have a great time with the greatest contemporary author.
    sridhar

8. varalotti

Thanks Ami for reviving interest in this long forgotten thread. I wrote about ten posts in the series when I was in the US.
    You are right. God helps us in mysterious ways. He always helps us. We out of ignorance at times consider it as help at times as punishment. the problem lies in our sinful minds and not in his unconditional love.
    When I flew from Seattle to Atlanta two months later they made me remove the extra things. I had to abandon them and give it to my friend over there.
    thanks once again.
    sridhar