Varalakshmi Pooja Aug 5 Or 12?

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by preethignan, Jul 26, 2022.

1. preethignan

preethignan Silver IL'ite

Hi all

When is the pooja celebrated this year? Why is there so much confusion this year? First it was told 12th, then people are telling it is 5th. Any leads on this please?

anika987 and Thyagarajan like this.

2. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

In Andhra, as per the book, it is custom to celebrate varalakshmi vratam on the friday that falls before purnima which is usually 2nd sravana sukravaram. If going by that tradition, it falls on 5th Aug this year.
    The confusion was because this year the sravana masam starts from friday itself i.e. 29th July which is counted as 1st sravana friday. Since 5th Aug is Ashtami so few were confused whether it is good to do lakshmi puja or not. Hence they were preferring 12th Aug which is actually pournima.
    But now all are saying that as per book the friday before purnima i e.5th aug this year is the date when varalakshmi vratam should be celebrated.
    Only if it is not feasible to do on 5th Aug either due to periods or any death in family or travelling etc then other fridays it can be done. This year advantage is there are 5 fridays.
    Hope this helps. Happy puja!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    preethignan, mbharani and Srama like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Just to get benefit of doubt, I would suggest better conduct pooja and observe vratham on Fri 5th & Fri 12th August. One can get best of both worlds.
    Thanks and regards.
    God Bless

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I had the same doubt.My in-laws and my mom also said it’s on August 5th so conducting it that day.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

If one Friday missed there is next Friday. Even they is missed still in this tam IL l month three mors are left. All Fridays bestowing by Godess Laksmi is equally powerful and so whether vrath observed or snd puja performed on 5th or 12th or 19th or 26th all are equally powerful. Go ahead and sing or play madhyamavathi
    Sri Vara Laksmi Baramma in kannada or its equivalent in Tamil .
    God bless

anika987 likes this.
  6. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

Actually one is supposed to do lakshmi pooja all sravana fridays but the particular varalakshmi vratam hs to be done on 2nd fri i.e. before pournami. This is what book says and elders in many families including mine will say. But again, there are unavoidable situations for women like monthly cycles or sudden traveling or financial trouble or a death in the famil etc when they are not able to genuinely do on 2nd friday. Only in such cases, it is considered okay to perform on any of the other 2 fridays.
    All tuesdays and fridays irrespective of the varalakshmi vratam is considered very auspicious and it is adviced to do puja to gowri devi on tues and lakshmi devi on fridays in sravana masam.
    And also overall 365days too as per our tradition. But if 365days not possible then atleast all tues n fri in sravana month

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

8. Thyagarajan

9. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Good idea. But do we do the evening pooja if inviting ladies on two weeks. The thought did run through my mind of doing it on both fridays.

Thyagarajan likes this.