1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vandhe Matharam

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ageing is the only good thing I have done in my life and keeping pace with time!

2. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

That was indeed a thoughtful post, paying tribute to our country, on our 72nd Independence Day. Being a true patriot, I celebrated this day by making tricolour sandwich for breakfast, tricolour rice for lunch and it’s going to be tricolour idlis for dinner. I like the AIR tune of ‘ Vande Mataram.Here I share the original version of Vande Mataram

Agatha83

ashima10, kkrish and Srama like this.
  3. Cheeniya

@Agatha83
    Dear Agatha
    There is nothing to beat the original. I once heard NC Vasanthakokilam singing it. Very moving it was.
    We take tricolour food only on 18th Aadi. Tamarind rice, lemon rice and curd rice!
    Sri

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Happy Independence day! Talk about today and I am reminded of a grandma and talking about grandmas, I think may be I should post in grandmas thread! Anyways here I am so - while many of you were fortunate to see the celebrations and flag being hoisted, this grandma as a preteen/early teen has lived through the partition and is from Punjab! She has so many stories to tell. Usually come summer, she brings her chair to the driveway and sits down and I join her to hear her stories from her childhood - she talking with a nostalgic look and Punjabi Hindi and me with my 'text book' perfect and very 'accented' Hindi. She is the only person I will hold a conversation in Hindi for hours together and she gets such a tickle to hear me speak. Though she lived in the US for a long time, she never took to English and Hindi it was. Oh the stories she would share! She moved back to India a few years ago and I miss her, actually more than her family does. Come summer, it was not just Hindi but the vegetables! Oh my! she had a magial touch. Grandma's I tell you ;-)

Happy Independence Day everyone! Vande Matharam....indeed!

ashima10, kkrish and Cheeniya like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I got this in my whatsapp feed, and have watched it a few times. Shankar Mahadevan recreates Breathless as a tribute to "Non-Stop India" and apparently to PM Modi. If we can set aside politics and opinion about the success of Modi's many ventures, the song is very inspiring, fresh and makes one feel hopeful. The original Breathless is a long time favorite of mine, so I am definitely biased.

Srama, kkrish and Cheeniya like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

One more song. Not one that we marked as a typical patriotic song growing up, but, still, a very patriotic one. From the movie Haqeeqat. The song's many unique feature make a long list, like the college degrees and professional acronyms that accompany name on name plate. : )

Music: Madan Mohan. An understated gem from him.
    Lyrics: Kaifi Azmi. Masterful selection of words to express the feelings of the soldiers.
    Singers: Mohd. Rafi, Talat Mahmood, Bhupinder, Manna Dey. Wow!
    A trivia: Stars Priya Rajvansh also, one of the very movies she acted in.

kkrish and Cheeniya like this.
  7. Cheeniya

@Rihana
    Shankar Mahadevan! I am a diehard fan of this nonstop express! I love the way he encourages budding singers. An extremely friendly guy.

Rihana likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

@Rihana
    I worship Madan Mohan. I have written about him in my music series. Heartwarming melody was at his beck and call. If I am a reasonable singer even at this age, the credit should go to him!

9. Cheeniya

@Srama
    I have watched it all during my journey through life this far. In the year I got married, price of 10gm gold was Rs.102! Rs.10 per gram! But then my salary was Rs. 400 per month as an officer of State Bank. Nobody is interested anymore in hearing stories of the past. Rightly so! My granddaughter's classmate in B.Tech got selected in the campus recruitment by a multinational for a monthly salary of Rs.2.50 lakhs! Why would she be interested in hearing stories of my childhood? Grandma's stories do not interest anyone anymore. On the contrary, I love hearing stories of my grandchildren!