1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Value For The Money Spent..

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by anika987, May 29, 2022.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

How often do you use your costly outfits?

I saw a selfie of an acquaintance in a dress from a particular brand and the dress amounts to $150.

Suddenly thought…if a person is a party person, that person might not want to wear the same clothes again.maybe couple times with different people max.People who don’t even party..that dress might be not wore after once..

A friend has the best branded handbags..DIOR,LV,SIL etc..she showed me and it is so carefully sitting in her closet. She says she hardly uses it..

I have some outfits in my closet which I brought and did not even wear it once.

Just curious..do u use your outfits well? Value for the money spent?

Not just clothes..any other accessories Or makeup, jewelry..how often do u use it?

chanchitra likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The only expensive items of clothing I have are a few sarees that will stand the test of time. Otherwise I don’t spend much on clothes. Many people now use services like Rent the Runway if they really need fancy clothes for an occasion.
    I love silver jewelry and I do collect pieces that catch my eye. I wear them every now and then and they will be passed on to the next generation. I also don’t spend much on shoes and bags.

anika987 likes this.
  3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I have outfits for different occasions- pantsuits, skirt suits, and dresses that cost well over $100. I don't wear them all the time but it is nice to have outfits that I can pull out of the closet when needed. I do wear most of my dresses when I teach so except for a few, most are worn at least once a semester. It's my Indian outfits (heavy sarees) that don't get much use. I do wear salwar-kameez and light sarees during summer. I hope I will pass on my heavy sarees to my daughter or son's wife someday. I also don't wear any gold jewelry but again can give it to my kids. I only wear my diamond studs, a solitaire necklace, and wedding ring on a regular basis.

Not a huge bag person but I did buy a YSL bag as a 40th birthday present that I use every day. I also have a BOSCA leather briefcase/laptop bag that I bought in Italy a few years ago and use to carry laptop and papers most of the year.

anika987 likes this.
  4. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Hey,

I try to avoid very expensive clothing...I try to buy elegant but affordable types like something 2500-3000
    this way I can buy more, so there is variety as well..

The max I have bought recently is a lehenga for my BIL's wedding for 12000....I havent used that again as its heavy and ofcourse pandemic..

Honestly I dont feel like waste of money as I did look very good on that on the D day .it was one time spend but worth it

Bags, I have stopped buying as all the time its Laptop bag which is what carried by me :p

I buy earrings often that too dont buy very expensive ones

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    anika987 likes this.
  5. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Not me but my nieces use it well :)..since I am short and thin,same clothes fit well for my nieces and one sis..just this week my sis sent a photo of my nephew wearing one of the unisex jacket I had from 2005..usually my clothes are well maintained and stays new and I give to my nieces those ones along with brand new gifts..I never felt I am wasting money..same with bags...my aunt likes getting my old bags...she doesn't like to buy new as her social outing is less and my old yet new looking bags keeps her happy...

anika987 and maalti like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Jewelry - I only have light gold jewelry and it has got used quite a bit. Indian clothes - no costly ones.

In the past few years, thanks to DH, I've got hiking stuff that is expensive and I wouldn't buy it left to myself. I've put them to maximum use. Jackets, jerseys, t-shirts, shoes, sandals, backpacks and biking gear. They are worth it and feel good. Above all, it makes him happy if I use them, LOL.

anika987 likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

It depends whether the lady functions under a joint umbrella of DIL mil fil etc who may be green eyed monsters or enjoying family life with a besotted husband. Many in joint family find their precious/party outfits and as accessories in wardrobes and or lockers with hour seeing the light of the day. The value is in diminishing returns with huge annual rentals +GST for lockers.
    My wedding suit bought in 1975 preserved for over 23 years and number of times I wore it is within my finger tips.
    In tropical madras and Bombay I hardly used the coat.
    Just to enjoy nostalgia on a holiday I used wear that Gwalior rayan suit for few minutes and crisscross crisply infront of my boy daughter and spouse. Those moments are of inestimable value.
    Eventually, a regular street vendor was lucky to get my suit exchanged for a medium size plastic bucket with metal handle.

anika987, Gauri03 and maalti like this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I actually stopped buying indian outfits which are costly.Total waste in my case.I hardly do any parties and few functions a year where I meet people who dress even more simple.I also don’t mind repeating clothes .So I buy like around 2000-3000 rs max and use it.I am also able to use it in India trip.

I badly wanted to buy an LV bag..but now I completely lost interest in big brands.Decent brands which look good seems more than enough

Thyagarajan and chanchitra like this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

When I was a teenager and young adult in India I would look longingly at the pages of the foreign magazines and yearn for all those beautiful bags, shoes and perfumes. When I finally got to a point where I can buy them I don’t care for such things any more.
    Life is amusing.

shravs3, Thyagarajan, nuss and 2 others like this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Exactly :)

but perfumes are something I love and splurge..bags I don’t care much

Thyagarajan and MalStrom like this.