1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Valarpom Thannanbikkai Serial - part 8

Discussion in 'Sundays with Varalotti' started by Chitvish, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends,
    This week's Varamalar if Dinamalar carries our Varalott's serial on self motivation, under the titleppnirandaram alla
    Please go to
    Dinamalar - Varamalar

The literal meaning(for the benefit of those who do not know tamil), is,
    "any rejection is never permanent".

Sridhar, I love your suggestion that one should always listen to or respect one's own inner call.
    But very often we lack the " guts" to do that & go on, asking the opinions or approval of others as well.
    I endorse your words that one should never give up. Bharathiyar's song which has become our tamil national anthem ( can I use this phrase?), being awarded third place is, I would say, a "motivating example" !
    Let us not get disheartened, knowing well that, people, attitudes, ideas are all subject to change. So, what was rejected once, will be welcome with open arms ! Keep your chin up !

Love,
    Chithra.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Re: Valkarpom Thannanbikkai Serial - part 8

Chithra,
    thanks for posting this week's article. Learning to reject the rejections is the lesson I learnt the hard way.
    Eight years ago I sent a short story to a popular weekly. I did not hear from them for 4 months. Thinking that the story might have been lost in post, I sent a copy of the same story to them. Meanwhile the magazine rejected the original piece. I thought it was all over. A month later the same magazine sent a letter accepting the copy I had sent.
    The two copies were identical. How come they accepted one and rejected the other?
    When that story was published in that magazine it received rave reviews. You see the distance between rejections and rave reviews is only in the mind.
    Ever since that time I have this motto, "The whole world may reject your work; but you dont reject it."
    Thanks once again.
    sridhar

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Mrs ChitVish,

Thank you for posting this link this day.

Dear Varalotti,

Read your article with much interest. All the incidents you have quoted there were new to me.Especially amused to read the Bharathiyar one- 'chen TamilNadu' is one of my eternal favourites. As you have rightly proved this time, rejection from one set of people or evaluators is not permanent, nor is it a mark of one's caliber. Success comes to those who rise beyond rejection and diligently keep plodding on.

Really appreciate this self improvement series from you. We take a print out of this for my 82 yr old nan, and she loves reading them. Esp. since the pieces are crisp, she is able to remember from beginning to end. So, another point in favour of your work. Memorable--

My usual bi-line of appreciation, 'I salute this work' is drawing much mean minded comments in IL. So here goes, great work Varalotti. I salute you for this motivating article.

regards
    Vidya

4. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya,
    Your words have motivated the motivator. As a writer rejections are a part of my life.
    In fact I had included an account of how my story was rejected; but they had to edit it because of the space constraint.
    In 2000 I sent a short story to a popular magazine. For 6 months I heard nothing from them. Presuming that they might have lost the story in transit, I sent another copy. (remember it was just another print-out of the story; not even a comma was changed).
    Two days after I sent the second copy the magazine sent me a rejection slip and returned the story. I just ignored it.
    But a month later the same magazine sent an acceptance note for the second copy of the same story which they rejected earlier. When the story was published in Sep 2000 (though a bit controversial) it got good review from the readers.
    This incident redefined my attitude towards rejection - whether it pertains to story, application, friendship or love - and my outpourings became this week's article.
    Thanks once again for the kind words.
    regards,
    varalotti