1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Valarpom Thannanbikkai Serial - part 10

Discussion in 'Sundays with Varalotti' started by Chitvish, May 6, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends,
    This week's varamalar carries the article
    Muyandral mudiyathathu illai
    Please go to
    Dinamalar - Varamalar

It bears V R stamp, typically!
    Sridhar, I loved the second lesson more, because we are waiting for an excuse to "give up". It needs great strength of mind to try again & again tirelessly & win ultimately !
    Muyarchi thiruvinalyakkum
    முயற்சி திருவினையாக்கும்.

Love,
    Chithra.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Chithra

Thanks a lot, Chithra for taking the pain to post the article.
    I am very happy to see that all our ILites are brimming with self confidence and enthusiasm, that they do not have to read articles like this.

Thanks once again,
    sridhar

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,
    I think , many I L ites are not fluent in tamil, which results in less no: of views.
    This is not to encourage you, but I think there is no reason to feel discouraged ! I do understand your "dig" !
    Please make sure you address me only as Chithra, now that there is a Chitra in I L who interacts with you !
    Love,
    Chithra.
    I am as sensitive as Indhu when it comes to my name being spelt wrong!

4. varalotti

corrected the spelling.
    sridhar

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

ChitVish,

Thank you for posting this link.

Dear Sri Varalotti,

The best one so far! First a mundane matter. As mentioned earlier, readership could be low since many ILites do not read Tamil. But more so,I assume many read, assimilate but do not have time to turn in the quintessential FB.

During a course on Iteration MAnagement, I learnt of the 90% syndrome. We all fall prey to it. We do a task properly till it reaches 90%. Then we lose focus, emphasis on obstacles, slacken and finally stop the task there. The last burst of enthusiasm and determination to see the job to its fullest separates the best from the rest.

Amazing, how Francis Segdwick managed to accoplish her feat the second time with more snow. When Sir Edmund Hillary conquered the Everest he said, ' I have not conquered Mt Everest. i have conquered the moutain within. For successive generations of climbers, Everest will remain a challenge. Every mountaineer who successfully reaches the peak, actually manages to conquer his inner fears, weaknesses and uncertainities.' Francis did the same.

Two lines in your essay which stood out. That in times of failure, we have to accept the words of Gurus (I use it as an all encompassing word for parents, teachers,trainers) without reasoning it out. I accept that fully.in SaiSat Charitra, Shirdi Baba says the same. Not argue and look for reason in the words of Gurus, but accept their words as gospel.

Second, she took two hours less than male swimmers to finish the task? But then, of course- we women are stronger!:2thumbsup:

See you next week.
    cheers
    Vidya

6. varalotti

Dear Smt. Vidya,

Thanks for the FB. That 90% syndrome and Iteration Management filled up some gaps in my education. I have seen that in cricket. Batsman getting run out or bowled when they are in 96 or 97.

Edmund Hillary's quote is also new. Though I am a firm believer of logic (Accountants cant be otherwise) I do know its limitations. There are occasions where we will have to take someone's words for granted. If we are always full of logic sans any faith, then as Tagore said, we will be a knife which is all blade and no handle. That knife is sure to cut the hands of those who use it.

While I advocate the acceptance of the words of one's Guru, one has to be very careful in selecting a Guru. Thats why our shastras have treatises talking about the qualities of a good Guru.

A very poignant sloka always quoted by His Holiness Sri Sringeri Shankaracharya is the one written by Swami Desika. Will quote the sloka on the right occasion.

Thanks for the FB,
    regards,
    varalotti

7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri Varalotti,

You see, Smt Vidya does not sound as nice as Sri Varalotti. And you yourself said you like this address. So now u r stuck with it.

I have been extermely blessed in the Guru that God has conferred on me. Be it timely words of solace, Mantropadesham, or pearls of worldly wisdom- I have no qualms, nay only eagerness in accepting my Guru's words.

But, please do not wait for another appropriate occasion to quote the Swamy Desikan slokam with meaning. Slokams are always solicited.

affly
    Vidya

8. lakshmiky

lakshmiky New IL'ite