Valaikappu & Seemantham

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Chitvish, Jun 27, 2007.

1. agathiyan

agathiyan Junior IL'ite

Dear Chitra Mami,

I just got registered for the Indusladies and checked for Seemandam and Valaikappu. This post really helped me to have an understanding the rituals. My Husband know those but i am not that aware of those. This articles help me a lot and we are having the Semandam and the Valaikappu this friday at our home in Bahrain.Once a again thanks for posting such a valuable Article.

regards
    Vasanthi

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  2. agathiyan

agathiyan Junior IL'ite

Mami ,

I have few doubts which i need to clear from you . My husband is inviting 9 married ladies for the seemandam and the Valaikapu. My mother in Law and my mother is not comming for the occasion . As you said in the article how many Bangles i can wear for each hand ? can i wear 10 and 11 for each hand ? Also my husband family practise is to were the Koorai Saree for the Valakapu . But after seemandam they bath with tha Kalasam water. I don't like to spoil my Koorai saree . Is it okey if i wear my Kooria saree then chacge before they put the Kalasam water to Bath? Is it ok? Can 9 ladies put bangles to me or 5 ladies ? My Koorar Saree is Red colour. Is there are any restriction on the colour of the saree that i need to wear? My Husband family custom is to wear Koorai saree and they dont wear Black saree for the occation.I am living in Bahrain with my husband and i am expecting to deliver in 3 weeks.So we postphoned the Seemadan in 9th month . We are doing this Friday in here in Bahrain . So if you could be kind enough to reply me it would be really help me .

With kind regards
    Vasanthi
    Bahrain

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vasanthi,
    Congratulations on your "mom-to-be" status!
    Now, just relax. All these are social customs. If any Vadhyar is coming to conduct seemndam, he will instruct you. Otherwise, you can change over to an ordinary saree, from the koorai pudavai. If you are so sentimetal wear any colour other than black.
    You can wear 10 &11 bangles. It is just odd & even in each hand.
    Wish the function all success.
    Take care,
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. raji_siv

raji_siv Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

you have elaborated well the significnce and method of valaihappu and seemandam. just had a feeling of my valaihappu and seemandam . i enjoyed your reading of these. surely it is very useful to youngsters .

raji

5. rranga83

rranga83 Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra Maam,

Thanks for the wonderful article abt the function. I am abt to complete my 5th month of pregnancy. Next month i have my poochootal and then Seemantham in the month after that. I am very excited on seeing ur photos. I am expecting ur wishes for me and and my family on the aspiciuos occassion.

Kindly let me know if there are any special customes followed by Iyengar people for seemantham.

6. srividyaram

srividyaram New IL'ite

Dear Chitra mam - You are such a life saver! I literally mean it. I have my seemantham in 2 weeks time frame and your write up is just perfect. Thank you so much.

Srividya

7. Bambli

Bambli Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

i can't read tamil... but i got intrested when i saw all the attached picture in your thread... I'm will start my TTC after adi masam. Hoping that i will have my valikappu soon. Hope God will answer my prayers soon.

anyway dear, just wondering what is the different between seemantham and valaikappu ?? here in malaysia we only do valaikappu where the girl parents will cook some food and bring 1 gold bangles (suppose to put vellikappu or aimponkappu, but people go for gold bangle (fashion))

Some married women will be invited and they will put glass bangles to the pregnant lady and at last the husband suppose to put the gold bangle to his wife. Then The pregnant lady will be asked to choose the food which packed in yellow cloth... there will be three packings, thairu sattam, ven ponggal and pulli sattam. If the lady choose the thairu or pullu sattam then it will be a baby boy else baby gal if the lady choose ven ponggal.

since i can't read tamil, I'm not sure whether you have explained in your thread. So can u clear my doubts.... about the seemantham and valaikappu..??? what we suppose to do during this occasions...

pls advice...

8. sunny79

sunny79 New IL'ite

Dear Mrs.Chithra,

Our priest in chennai gave dates for the seemantham in the 6th and 8th month. The dates in the 6th month were not convenient. Is it ok to do seemantham in 8th month? We are Tamil iyers. I do not have any major preferences for which month, but my mil was quite upset when she learnt that the date was in the 8th month. She said nobody does it then, but i have friends and cousins who had it done in that month. I really appreciate your feedback,

Thanks

9. savitha79

savitha79 New IL'ite

Hi Chithra,

Thanks for all your info on seemantham. I live in Irvine, california and do not know much about this ceremony. I have been recently invited for a valaikappu seemantham ceremony of my husband's friend's wife. I have no idea what gifts do invitees have to take for this ceremony. Is it the same as the gifts we give for baby shower( as in for the baby?) or is it something more traditional gift for the mother?

any help from all of you is greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    savitha

10. Priyakrish25

Priyakrish25 New IL'ite

Hello Chitvish,
    Your compilation about the valikappu & seemantham was very elaborate. Thank you. I have one doubt. I'm expecting and on my fifth month. Right now, I'm in US and my Father-in-law is here with us. He wanted to perform our seemantham before he leaves to India during my 6th month. My mother is coming for my delivery during my 8th month. Can we do the seemantham in 6ht month and the valaikappu in the 8th month?
    I'll really appreciate any advice.
    thanks,
    Priya