Valaikappu & Seemantham

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Chitvish, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Marisa

Marisa New IL'ite

Another question from me! What happens if a bangle breaks? I don't really think mine will last much longer and I'm getting sad about it. Is there anything I can do apart from being careful?

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Marisa,
    No problem at all - please do not bother.
    You know what we do! I wore 21 & 22 - they will be packed in my hands & will not have much space to move about & the breakage will be less. But it is one's choice.
    Don't worry, Marisa.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. srimathi

srimathi New IL'ite

Hi,
    Does anyone know where to get Neem leaf Kaapu for Valaaikaapu in Chennai? Or does one make it?My younger sister is expecting her first child after a very long time and since our mom and Dad are no more I would like to do the Vaalai kaapu for her.Please let me know where to get them or does one make them?
    SrimathuComputer Typing

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  4. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Also Chithra...one more doubt..
    If Need Leaf Kaapu is not available, is there another acceptable replacement for this for the Valaikaapu ceremony

Thanks and love
    Pavithra

5. Chitvish

Dear Srimathy,
    Neem leaf kappu can be made by taking a very tender twig from a neem tree - veppa maram & made by hand fresh !
    It is not available anywhere - one can just make it the previous day.. Just shape it like a bangle & tie both ends.
    Love,
    Chithra.

quote=srimathi;271138]Hi,
    Does anyone know where to get Neem leaf Kaapu for Valaaikaapu in Chennai? Or does one make it?My younger sister is expecting her first child after a very long time and since our mom and Dad are no more I would like to do the Vaalai kaapu for her.Please let me know where to get them or does one make them?
    SrimathuComputer Typing[/quote]

6. Chitvish

Dear Pavithra,
    There is no substitute for neem leaf kappu as far as I know.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Marisa

Marisa New IL'ite

Thanks Chithra mami. That makes sense. However, I have just over a dozen in each arm, so they have plenty of space to move around. I guess I just need to remember to pull them up my arm when I'm cooking and such. Or get some extras :)

8. kavi70

kavi70 New IL'ite

nice info.unfortunately i cannot view the odf files ---- iam new user.whay should i do to view the pdf files???

9. Chitvish

Dear Kavi,
    You can view the pdf files only if you cross 50+ posts.Do interact in forums which interest you & you will reach 50 posts in no time.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

no seemantham for the second kid ????

hi all,

y r we not doing the seemantham for the second kid. somebody said me that one of the significance of valaikaappu seemantham is the glass bangles sound will increase the hearing power of the kid. then y not for the second kid.can anybody clarify that.....