Valaikappu & Seemantham

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Raj,
    There are many men in this forum, very active contributors as well. The famous ones are Cheeniya & Varalotti.
    I am so happy, you love this site.
    Please do make your wife a member. She cann learn a lot from the Pregnancy Forum.
    Regards,
    Chithra.

2. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra mami, From a long time I was thinking to reply you on this thread. Its been 5 long months , that I now have my little bundle of joy amidst us.... Being away from hometown,parents and relatives, the descriptions and suggestions you have given on this thread were of great help to us. But for this we wouldnt have done the functions so well and perfect.

Thank you so much

Sri

3. Chitvish

Dear Snegithi,
    Your post pleased me no end. All the efforts I take to post these threads are worth it!!
    Enjoy your baby - motherhood is a precious gift!
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. lrkavitha

lrkavitha New IL'ite

Chitra,

I am a new member of this forum and was really excited to see your details on seemandham and valakappu and the amazing pics you have posted.

I am expecting and my seemandham is planned for feb 7th 2010.

When i saw ur pictures, i was surprised by one picture specifically where the two kids were crushing the mottu.

When i was a small grl, i was one of the two small grl doing that. i have attached a very very similar pic, even the dress colours match.. :):)

thanks much for the great help you provide us in this forum.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  5. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

dear maami,

thanx for the detailed explanation.can u also let us know about the reason behind doing this valaikappu and seemandham.as there used to be some reason behind every rituals practised by our ancestors.once i have heard that this will increase the hearing capacity of the kid, is that so??? also wanted to know why it is not done for the second kid. recently this topic is also mentioned in the serial in JAYA tv "enge brahmanan"

6. thekumars9308

thekumars9308 New IL'ite

Dear Chithra maami,

I can't thank you enough for the wonderful wealth of information you have given in this forum about traditional rituals and practices. I registered in this forum especially to thank you for the effort you are putting in keeping our practices alive and also educating the younger generation like me who have no help staying so far away from family and home country. As time goes the practices keep changing according to one's convenience.

I'm in my 6th month now and I'm planning to have my Valaikaapu and Seemantham on the 8th month. Unfortunately my mom or mil will not be able to come to the US that early but your write up is a real boon to me, even though I cannot follow all of these steps as they would do in India but I will do my best with whatever is available here. I will have this as my reference for future use as well.

Thank you again!
    Sowmya

7. vaniarun81

vaniarun81 New IL'ite

Dear Chitra maami,

I am a malayali and I would like to know the ceremonial preparation for the two functions. Have seen lots of my friends wear lots of bangles and all but never knew the reason behind the same. It would be very nice if you ca n post the matter in english as well.
    a
    Thank you mam.
    Veen

8. Chitvish

Hi, it was very interesting to watch the photo - two kutti girls crushing te mottu with such enthusiasm!!
    Thanks for posting it!
    Love,
    C

9. Chitvish

Dear Sowmya,
    Thankyou for the nice words.
    do enjoy all these rituals. All the best.
    Love,
    C.

10. Chitvish

Dear Veen,
    I think, one ILite has already translated into english & posted it.
    All the best.
    Love,
    C