1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vaithys Progress And Hostel- Chapter 5

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by umaakumar, Aug 27, 2021.

1. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Swarna goes to work … chapter 27

Swarna would give Suchitra hell every day. If she made Dhal she would say she likes Sambhar and if sambhar was made, she would say she felt like eating rasam. This was to irritate Suchitra who would just not care.

The minute Suchitra sat down to work, Swarna would call out to her and say “Eyyy, my leg is in pain and my throat is becoming very dry, give me some water”. At other times it would be coffee. Suchitra put up with all the nonsense.

But most times she would keep telling Swarna that it is better she also finds some work. She would tell her that our social status would improve if she works and she need not be dependent on anyone. She said she need not contribute to the household and can save the money for herself.

Then one day out of sheer frustration she told her Mother in law “Amma what I am saying is true, if you work you will know how nice it is to have your own money. You can do what you want with it.”

Swarna thought for some time and said “Pavum what will you do without me, and that too you are pregnant. Who will give me a job”

Suchitra kept working for some time and told her “Amma don’t worry about me, if you are willing to try out some work, let me know. There is a family on the next road looking for someone to go and cook for them. They would give you a decent salary. Try it out for a month and if you do not like it, you can always quit”

Swarna thought for some more time and said “OK, I think I will try it”

Suchitra told her “That is good; you can go in the morning and come back before Krishna leaves for work. I will take you there, but you do not open your mouth, I will negotiate a good salary with them”

Suchitra took her to that house and Swarna was employed. She would go to work at 6.30 AM and return by 10.00 AM. She would eat her breakfast at their house and sometimes bring a little bit of lunch too. After about a month or so, she started getting some flowers from the vendors close by and strung them and gave them back and made some money on that too.

Swarna took time to adjust, but once she got the feeling of earning she was happy. She felt she had a better place in society. Once out she saw many more women like her who were working and she realised there was no shame in working. She was fine getting up in the morning and leaving, but on coming home she would taunt Suchitra, who would never bother. At times when things got unbearable she would tell her mother in law to shut up.

By the time her delivery time arrived, Suchitra had saved money for the hospital expenses and to take care of her newborn.

It was in the middle of the night that she got into labour and had to be rushed to the hospital. After struggling till the evening, she delivered a baby girl. Swarna was very upset that she delivered a girl child. She did not want to touch or carry the baby. When the nurse handed her the baby she refused to take her and Krishna took the baby. The doctor scolded her for being so gender biased.

On the second day, in the afternoon, Suchitra got a surprise. Her mother visited her. Suchitra was very happy to see her Mother and her mother said “Daddy does not know I am here, how can I not come to see my grandchild, I am happy for you”

Suchitra was in tears and hugged her mother and they spoke for a long time about various things. Then it was time for her mother to leave. But she promised to come whenever time permits to see her and her grandchild.

On the 3rd day Suchitra brought home the child. She was ecstatic that she was a mother now. She was very happy to see the child and forgot all the difficulties when the child smiled. Swarna spoke about the naming ceremony to Krishna. Suchitra said they will have the naming ceremony in the morning with just close relatives and that will be it. She said she strongly believed that the festivities should be altered according to the purse. Krishna was also for it and Swarna had to reluctantly agree.

Then she asked Krishna “What name are you planning to give the child, it is a girl she has to carry my mother’s name”

Krishna looked at her and said “Amma as always don’t be old fashioned, I am calling my daughter Maya”.

Swarna had a thousand objections to this name and said “What is this Maya like some spirits name, give her a decent name, I will call her Ambujam”

Krishna wanted to object when Suchitra nodded her head and said to leave it at that. They called the girl Maya.

Suchitra’s mom came for the naming ceremony, she looked at the house in which her daughter lived and was in tears.

She told Suchitra “Oh my God, how are you living here, what plans I had for you and you spoiled everything”.

Suchitra looked at her mother and said “Amma my husband is a very good person and that is what is needed in a marriage, life is not always going to be like this, wait and see. No use crying over spilt milk. I am married and have a daughter”

To be continued……….

MalStrom, NOW, mbharani and 2 others like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sister @umaakumar,
    Your depicting Suchitra in chapter 27 in a highly matured mould is wonderful. Though her MIL Swarna always pugnacious and belligerent, Suchi bring her around to accept her point of view in a calm and collected manner. I have seen this trend in many modern educated DILs in my family network.

My junior BIL has two DILs both not Tamilian and ignorant of Tamil. One is from Karnataka and other from Singapore of Chinese or Taiwanese origin. Initially these two DILs were studying their Mil - Found to be curt and indifferent to them with her points of view. But over time, I found a remarkable change in my BIL’s Spouse. Her attitude turned cosmopolitan.

A flight with DILs to US & Singapore and visit to their Sambandhis added to her better camaraderie. Modern DILS seemed to have the knack to turn MILs cordial.

I have a point to make regarding Suchitra’s labour I guess from midnight to late evening. Presently, labouring for natural delivery for such long hours is rare. Gynaecologists seemed to hurry up the process of delivery by artificial means induced and or CS. WHOEVER I had come across in recent times, their deliveries seemed to be CS an expensive procedure with possibility of extended stay for days in hospital.

I enjoyed the emotional tour in this chapter too.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God Bless.

Rihana likes this.
  3. umaakumar

Dear Sir,

Thank you once again for your FB.

Now a days most DIL's and MIL reltionships are better than what they were. Most cases the MIL is educated and has been a working woman. She has her hobbies and friends circle to pursue. In some cases after retirement, they prefer travelling and doing things they like rather than trouble their DIL.
    DIL on the other hand, handle their in laws very well. Mostly because they know the family before getting married. If it is an arranged marriange the girls frequent the boys house and vice versa. They have lot of parties and get togethers before the final vow is taken. This gives both sides a better view of the other person.

Thanks & Regards
    Uma

4. umaakumar

Steps to progress --- chapter 28

Krishna was very happy to see his daughter growing and played with her nonstop. Suchitra kept reminding him that he was a father now and had to set an example for his child. She insisted that he help with kitchen work before leaving for his work, he fed the baby and helped Suchitra a lot. This was because Suchitra wanted to finish the cooking before her Mother in law came back from her work to take care of Maya.

Apart from this she kept telling Krishna to learn driving. She said if he could drive a car and had a license, he could earn more as a driver. When Swarna came to know about this, she made a hue and cry “My father died in an accident, now you want my Son to drive and kill himself!!!!!!!!”

Suchitra told her “What is this, there are thousands of people driving, are they getting killed, if time is not good, he can get knocked down riding a cycle”

Krishna enrolled in driving classes. Within a year he had quit his job in the shop and became a full time driver. He was happy with the higher salary he got and also made extra everyday by means of bata. In the meantime Suchitra completed her tailoring classes. She was using Krishna’s cycle to go to most of the places.

Suchitra would cycle to the market and pick up bits of cloth for a cheaper price and stitch lovely frocks for her daughter. When people started asking where she bought these, she would proudly say she stitched it and also have some for sale. Soon she had customers who were not only buying her readymade but also giving her orders for tailoring.

Suchitra sometimes had to turn down customers as she was busy. She believed that we have to deliver goods in time and not go after money, though it is essential.

As they progressed, Suchitra looked around for a bigger house and moved in there. This was more spacious and Maya could crawl and trot around without difficulty.

Suchitra was making enquiries regarding loans from various people and found out that banks would give loans for entrepreneurs. She was planning to take a loan and open a small tailoring shop, when she got pregnant again.

Krishna in the meantime was meeting lots of drivers who told him about loans in the bank for buying a new car. He could earn more by operating it as a taxi. Suchitra encouraged him and by the time he had approached banks and submitted papers, and got the car, the second child was born.

The nurse came out and Swarna along with Maya and Krishna got up eagerly and she said “You have a girl child”

Swarna was very disappointed and sat down and said “Chee what is this, again a girl”

Krishna was very happy, he was of the view that a child is a child whether a girl or boy.

On the third day, Swarna brought breakfast for Suchitra to the hospital. There was no one in bed and she asked the nurse “where is Suchitra”.

The nurse looked at her and said “They have taken her to the operation theatre”

Swarna was alarmed and just then Krishna came in after parking his car. He told Swarna “Amma they have taken her for family planning operation, don’t worry”

Swarna was horrified and said “What is this and why did you not tell me”

Krishna asked her “Amma why should we discuss this with you, we have 2 lovely children and don’t want to have more”

Swarna started crying and said “What about a son, you have only daughters, you should have had one more, and you need a son to burn you when you die”.

Krishna smiled and said “Amma don’t be ridiculous, it does not matter who burns you when you die, I am not willing to risk one more child and Suchitra’s health”

Swarna sat and wept and kept saying that the younger generation, do not listen to anyone, not even their parents.

Suchitra and Krishna brought home their second daughter and were very happy, they named her Mohini. Swarna hated the name and said “If the first one is Maya, this one is a Mohini, all names of ghosts”

Suchitra’s parents by this time had forgiven her and she was making frequent visits to see them. They doted on their grandchildren. But every time Suchitra saw them, she felt she had cheated them and had to do better in life. When Mohini was 3 months old Suchitra started with her tailoring work. She subsequently got a loan from the bank and took up a shop on rent. She installed machines in the shop and appointed tailors to do her orders.

Her business expanded and she took up a bigger place. Instead of appointing tailors she took on students who were eager to learn. She would teach them to cut and stitch and they in turn would stitch her readymades. This way she not only helped them learn but got labour free.

To be continued------

5. umaakumar

Old & the young - Chapter 29

In spite of all the hard work her daughter in law put in, Swarna was dissatisfied. She always felt Suchitra had Krishna in her grip. She was suspicious about what the husband and wife were talking about. She would sometimes sneak and listen to their talk. If Suchitra and Krishna said they had to go out and to take care of the children, she would immediately feign illness so that they would not go.

For all the troubles she gave, Suchitra never disrespected her and went about her work. Krishna and Suchitra would go out separately and meet in some common place instead of telling Swarna.

Maya and Mohini were put in a convent. Swarna was not happy with this decision and said “They have to wear short uniforms, and they will soon be talking dus bus in English, why not send them to a local school”

Suchitra said she wanted the best for her children. Both the children were very good in studies and topped the class. Suchitra made sure they would study and finish their school work and if they did not top in any subject she would tutor them till they achieved the best.

Krishna’s business also grew. He was able to add on more cars and had drivers.

When Maya was in the 6th standard, they moved into their own house. It was an independent house a little far away from school. Swarna kept asking “If we move so far, how the children will go to school and what about your work”

Suchitra as always was not afraid, she said “what if it is far, the children will go by school bus and Krishna will drop me in the shop, if we keep finding excuses we can never move forward, where we can find a house this big and cheap inside the city”

The house warming was a grand affair. Lots of people were invited. Swarna sent an invite to her uncle Kicha. Kicha send a congrats card.

As the children were growing up, there were a lot of things which Swarna could not tolerate. But she loved her grandchildren very much. She was there when they came home from school and she would listen to their jabber, sometimes go and sit in the park when they played etc. She doted on them. But the things she did not like were that the children never wore long skirts. They were always in short frocks. They did not keep Bindi and even if they did it was a very small dot. They attended all the birthday parties and wanted to have one on their birthdays too. Suchitra would happily celebrate it by ordering a big cake and calling all of their classmates and neighbouring children. Swarna for a long time did not know the cake had eggs in it. But by the time she came to know she had eaten a piece on every birthday. Since Maya and Mohini were in co education schools many boys would also come for the parties. Swarna felt boys and girls should not mingle or touch each other.

Maya was put in a Bharatanatyam class when she was 7 years of age. Swarna did not like it. In summer both the girls attended swimming lessons. Swarna did not like it. She kept grumbling that it was indecent activity for girls.

When Maya was in the 8th standard, one morning she attended puberty. Suchitra was in the kitchen making dosas and packing lunch, when she crept in behind her and whispered it to her. Suchitra immediately took her to the bedroom. As always Swarna silently walked behind them to hear what it was all about.

Suchitra told Swarna “There is no secret; Maya has become a big girl”

Swarna was happy and went and sat down with the almanac to see if it was a good time. Maya came out wearing her uniform and carrying her bags. Suchitra said “Sit and eat your breakfast”

Swarna jumped up and asked “Enna di Maya are you going to school??!!”

Maya said “Yes patti, I have a class test today and cannot miss it”

Swarna was very shocked at this girl’s reply and said “It is not good to go out during these times, and also you should not sit at the table and eat. So go and change and sit in this corner.”

Maya immediately cried and called out to her mother “Ammmaaaaaaa see what patti is saying”

Suchitra came out of the kitchen and saw Swarna standing next to Maya with a menacing look. She said “Amma don’t be old fashioned. This happens to every girl. Why make a big scene out of it. My daughters will not sit in any corner during these times. Don’t embarrass them with your traditional idea, and I don’t want you to go around the entire town telling them what happened”

Swarna was not happy as always and said “You know we have to follow tradition, but who will listen to me, no one, they think I am an old brat”

Maya and Mohini covered their mouths and laughed. If Suchitra saw them laughing at their Grandma she would punish them and lecture them. They got up without a sound and washed their hands. Krishna said he does not want to interfere in women’s matters

Years had passed and the family progressed. Suchitra was now very much involved in her tailoring. She mastered the art of stitching Bharatanatyam costumes and had many customers. Maya and Mohini’s dance teacher brought her many customers. She was earning very well and had set up a factory for her readymade business. Krishna had taken Raju, his old friend as his working partner and both together had set up a fleet of taxi services. Raju had moved to Chennai and was supplying taxis to MNCs and call centres. Krishna financed the project.

They purchased 2 more houses and gave it on rent. With all this came comforts. They built the upstairs with 2 more bedrooms for the children so that they could study without disturbance. They fitted air conditions in all the rooms. Swarna did not like the air conditioners at first, but got used to it subsequently.

Maya was a topper in school and her higher secondary. She got into engineering – computer science. This was the latest trend. But she never gave up her dance. She had travelled extensively to give performances with her teacher all over India, but now the trips were mostly abroad. On many occasions Suchitra would accompany them as she was a tailor and could alter dresses at last minutes to suit the dancer. Suchitra had also mastered the art of doing make up for these artists and hence was an asset to this dance group. Suchitra as always through her trips made international contact with dance troupes and took on tailoring orders from them. Some of these dancers when they came to India came all the way to Tanjore to meet her with their requirements.

When Maya was in the third year of engineering she and Mohini got an opportunity to go to dance performance in the USA. Previously, every time Maya had a chance to go to the USA, it did not work out as the dates coincided with her other activities. This was a 2 week program in one state. Suchitra accompanied them. They were put up in 2 or 3 sponsors’ houses. Suchitra, Maya and Mohini were told that they were going to stay in Mr. Pat's house. When they arrived they were surprised to see an Indian who spoke good Tamil pick them up. This gentleman’s name was Mr. Pattabiram. Pats was his American name. He was working in the USA and had a foundation for destitute women. The dance performance was to raise funds for this foundation. Mrs. Pats was a very friendly lady.

To be continued…..

6. Thyagarajan

My fil was always exhorting us as a couple in acquiring residential plot. My dad was a drag; against buying & constructing a house in agricultural turned residential plots. For almost ten years, there was lot of hardship but today this sunbub is part of city and real estate boomed over here. Present valuation runs in crores thanks to my FIL’s foresight.

it ought to be “attained”. It could be typo I guess.

Orthodox old fashioned tradition bound Swarna depicted here in chapter 29 too is very realistic.

Modern bahus striving to turn reasonably rich from rags narrated beautifully step by step.

Finance, children’s education, extra curricular, dance learning and performance, costume making, family car, buying homes, several ways of income generation, training & employment everything brought into picture in a nutshell.

Kudos to @umaakumar story telling.

Success of Several hard working couples in my family network - managing home and hearth & orthodox MIL come in my view. All success despite nasty MIL & Other laws!

I continued enjoy reading this serial almost real drama.
    Regards.
    God bless.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  7. umaakumar

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your FB. Thanks for correcting my typing error.

My grandparents lived with us. When those days came, my Gandmom would insisit we do not come into the kitchen. Should not sit in the dining table etc. When we had friends over, it would be most embarrasing. But one incidence that I cannot forget is this. She should have been about 82 years old. We had all got married and left home. My Mom was hospitalised and i rushed to help out. It was at this time that I got my periods. When i told my grandmom, she said, we have to change, I cannot cook, I have become old. So it is OK, you do all the work. We cannot be following all this. I was so surprised that someone who was so strict with tranditions could change like this.

For people who are in the middle class and grown in wealth, it is always a struggle. You cannot grow rich overnight. I have seen such people work day and night to acheve the status.

Thanks & regards
    Uma

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. umaakumar

Children settle down – chapter 31

On completion of her Engineering Maya opted to go for further studies to the USA. She picked up a job there. Few years later, with the blessings of her, Guru set up a dance school. She would visit India as and when convenient.

Malini on the other hand did her sociology and studied history. She went to the USA for further studies and research work. She was an ardent animal lover and belonged to an organization that helped animals in distress and she collected thousands of dollars for helping street dogs in India.

Due to social networking they connected with all their cousins. The girls decided that they should not have ill feelings between them because of old things and their generation should be an united one. They argued with Krishna on this many times and Suchitra told them to do what they like.

They now had a cousins group on Facebook, whatsapp etc. They had connections with Pats children and also with Pats brothers children and also located Visu’s children who were in the same state as Maya. They met occasionally. Through all this they also found Chandru’s son, who was now working as a professor in a medical college.

Though they never met, their updates on FB would tell them about their family, where they holidayed, how was their mood that day, what they felt about social issues etc.

Swarna missed the children terribly. The house had become very silent. Krishna and Suchitra were busy with their business and they had maids for cooking and other work. Most of the time Swarna would sit and write “Sri Rama Jayam”. Maya and Mohini would make it a point to call her every alternate day. She would wait for the call eagerly and ask them all kinds of questions which amused both of them, but they still called.

Swarna on most occasions would ask Maya “When are you getting married, you are so beautiful, can I see a boy for you” Maya would laugh and say “Patti you are old fashioned, wait for some time, what is the hurry to get married”.

When they visited they would bring gifts for her which she kept in her cupboard and cherished. When ever any friend visited she would say “My Grandchildren bought this for me”

She had also steadily aged.One of these days Krishna got a call on his mobile and it was Visu (Swarnas long lost brother).Krishna had never seen him.He was a total stranger to him.He had to talk because of his mother.Visu said he was in India and would like to visit them.Krishna gave his house telephone number and told him to speak to Swarna as she would be very happy.He said to inform the date of arrival and Krishna would send a car to pick him up.

To be continued........

mbharani, MalStrom and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

The characters relating to present digital era has been evolved & developed nicely spanning the world of opportunities and the prosperity of their parents in India. It has branched out in good progression. A regressive swarna too shown a tad progressive. Thus reality taken over her standard drags and hum drums thanks to progressive minded hardworking ebullient indefatigable Suchitra - a vision with a mission.

This chapter 31 reminds me of certain real characters connected to Cleaveland Sundaram and many US children visit to perform Bharat natiyam/ arengetram
    in couple of SABHAS during DECEMBER KUTCHERI SEASON in CHENNAI metro in Tamilnadu. I enjoyed their choreography and the rich Bhavan exhibited in their dance.

There was a time parents were crazy to put their wards to study engineering computer science disregarding the ward’s interest. Many without any flair for engineering half way left their studies.

• Few of my classmates managed to clear SSLC with just average marks and they could not secure seat in engineering or commerce but chose to have a degree by taking unusual subjects for major.
    • A class mate of mine took geography and later went USA FOR DOCTORAL STUDIES. He turned out to be a chief of meteorological department.
    • Another took geology for major as baschelor and he too achieved doctoral degree in USA and returned to India became chief of Geological Survey of India.
    A relative of mine constructed own house near dairy. He took his son to dairy and the boy later studied and acquired degree in dairy technology. He joined the dairy which deputed him to Switzerland to learn and imbibe techniques related to dairy plant. Later he turned out to be chief of Tamil Nadu dairy development corporation.

Thanks and Regards.
    God Bless.

10. umaakumar

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your FB.

Yes truly during my times, if you did not do Computer science, you were not considered a normal person. So many of my cousins opted for computer science and went to USA for masters and are settled there. One of my cousins after completion of his engineering in computer science (Forced upon by his parents) was sent to USA for MS. He did not like the subject and it was a cultural shock for him and he ran away from the university.
    My uncle had to rush there to counsel him and send him back to college. He completed his education and is in the USA. So many cases like that.
    A friend of mine, pressurised her som to study what she chose and it ended tragically.
    But still in spite of all this some parents never learn.

Regards
    Uma

Thyagarajan likes this.