1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vaccines

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vidhukumar, May 7, 2007.

1. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Ladies, since we have this thread on 'vaccines' I thought I'll ask some questions that I have on this topic.

DH's cousin who has a baby the same age as Riya has decided to not get some of the vaccinations, and his wife's comment was, "I'll take him to the doctor when he gets sick". My question is why do some parents decide to wait until then and not vaccinate. I mean why take the risk? I do understand that lifestyles play a huge part on what diseases the babies get and what they don't and also the geographical location. But, having said that, in this world where people travel a lot (and thus can be carriers), baby play groups and other social settings, don't babies have chances to contract diseases that they are not vaccinated against.

Mangaii, coming to your point on the Amiish community, could they be not getting most of these diseases because they don't travel much and they are all in their own community and don't 'interact' as much with the 'outside world' as other communities do? They are not very pro-technology people, travel on horse buggies and are mostly farmers, not to forget they eat healthy and lead a healthier lifestyle, that we cannot afford to follow anymore.

We decided to get all the vaccinations for Riya since we travel a lot (internationally and locally), and plan to do so in the future. I also want to stress that I don't in any way mean parents who don't vaccinate are in any way less than those who decide to vaccinate their kids. :) It's all a matter of personal choice.

All these questions popped after I read this newletter from babycenter Unvaccinated kids one reason for record measles year - BabyCenter about the measles outbreak. Seems like it hit most of the kids and people who were not vaccinated.

Raj

2. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

I am personally not for all vaccinations but I would very much like to make an informed decision whichever way that might be. With regard to Amish population another thing that plays a role is genes and susceptibility to various diseases. Another point to consider is also like those age old days when people had "pox parties" where if you knew a kid had chicken pox or measles you took your kid(s) to their house to play with them so they got active immunization by contracting the disease and getting it over with. This is still common in many parts of the world. But like I say to each is his own!
    Raj as you had mentioned the measles outbreak, and similar diseases who's incidence has reduced way less seem to coming up in the recent days due to the rising choice of parents to not vaccinate their kids - but hey I'm not blaming anyone - just merely citing what I see.

-L.

3. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hi Raj,
    I have not read much about the life style of the said community.This was a reference in the text I read about vaccines. The text did'nt had much details about why but more about how they survive without vaccines.If I get more information about this information I will surely post it.
    Thanks
    Mangai

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks Mangaii!! I would be very interested to hear more about that community. I am really interested in knowing more about them.

Raj

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Just heard on the news that there's an outbreak of Pertussis (whooping cough) in our neighboring county, and there are 10 cases of it now in our county, mostly in the day care centers and elementary schools.

Riya's DTaP shots are in order so far. Just wondering if somebody can throw light on what I should keep in mind as far as taking precautions? Do I need to worry at all even though she's all set as far as vaccination for this go?

Vanathi, what do you think?

Raj

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Raj - I think Riya should be ok as she has just completed her vaxes. Pertusis is often a problem for older kids/adults where immunity might have waned. Maybe you could also cancel playgroup for the next 2 weeks until you know more about whats happening. I need to read more - will do that and get back.

V.

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks Vanathi. Really appreciate it. No playgroups for a while, I agree.

Raj

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

We got Riya's 12 month vaccines a couple weeks ago. Two days ago I noticed a slight bruise on her thigh and when I touched it felt a knot under the skin. I think it's a little painful too (not too much). Is this normal after shots? I am assuming it's the shot site. Hubby thinks it's the shots and the knot will go away, but me being ever paranoid, wanted to confirm from you all.

Raj

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

It sounds normal Raj. It should go away on its own. Ice can help if its very painful.

V.

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks, Vanathi. I'll try an ice pack every now and then.

Raj