Vaccines in Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Haasini, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Haasini

Haasini New IL'ite

Hi IL,
    I'm a new member to this community.
    I'm 9 weeks pregnant. I had MMR, Varicilla and TT vaccines in my 3rd week of pregnancy. I read on the net these vaccines are not advicable during pregnancy and it may lead some birth defects in the baby. Doctor told me she hasn't seen such case , but she also tells me it should be minimal risk. She told me its our wish if you are not satisfied with the answers, u can terminate the pregnancy. I'm very much concerned about the baby's health.
    IL, if you have any information/suggestion regarding this, Please through some light.
    -Thanks.

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Hasini,
    Even I had been thru this situation for my second pregnancy.
    Before 6 weeks to become pregnant I had vaccinations.
    My doctor said, theoritically we should not to have vaccinations for 3 months prior to get pregnant, But there are no practical cases of birth defects etc.
    SO i went ahead with my pregnancy, but till end I was worried.
    During 12 - 16weeks time, they did many tests and ultrasound to me.
    Everything was fine.
    Until the baby was born and went thru all the test after birth, I was worried.
    ANother friend of mine was in the same situation, but she got it aborted as they didn't wanted to take any chance.
    It is up to you to make any decisions.

Take care,
    Punitha

3. rakshak

rakshak New IL'ite

Hi Haasini

Even I am in a similar situation. I am 3 months pregnant. I was probably around 2 weeks pregnant when I took MMR, Rubella and Tetanus vaccines.
    I and my husband were really concerned initially but now we have decided to go ahead with the pregnancy and not to worry.
    We consulted 4 different doctors. 2 of them assured me everything will be fine.
    The other 2 told me the exact same thing like your doctor.
    My OB-Gyn said there is nothing to worry about. She advised us against terminating for this reason.
    For our assurance we also went for genetic counselling. The counsellor told us that pregnant woman are advised not to take MMR as a precaution but there are no proven cases to say MMR leads to specific birth defect. She also told us that people who were in a similar situation have had healthy baby.

As punitha said it is upto you to make the decision. If you are in US and have good insurance then talk to genetic counsellor about all your concerns. That might help you to take a decision and not to worry.

Punitha- Glad to know everything was fine in your case. I remember reading long back that you were/are also on thyroid mediaction. I am also on thyroid supplement. please let me know if you have any advice/suggestion.

Raksha

4. Haasini

Haasini New IL'ite

Punitha, Raksha..thanks for your views.
    Yesterday I had my ultrasound. The doctor said he is not that concerned about MMR that much, since with the data he has there were no abnormalities with the baby.
    But he is concerned about the Varicella vaccine, because he doesn't have any data with that vaccine.
    He told me to have another ultrasound in the 17th week, so that he can have the clear anotomy of the baby. If anything is wrong, then u can go for terminating the baby.
    Doctor told me time period to terminate the baby is upto 24 weeks. Will it be difficult to terminate the baby after 3 months. Will it be done surgically or through some medication.
    Raksha ,
    Did had Varicella vaccine also ? I'm also on Thyroid medication...I read some where that during pregnancy the thyroid level should be monitored regularly .Is it so ?

Thanks,

5. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Haasini,
    For thyroid, keep checking every 8 - 10 weeks once.
    It should be OK. In fact during prenancy, my thyroid level was much better and even reduced the dosage also.

Take care,
    Punitha

6. rakshak

rakshak New IL'ite

Hi Haasini,
    No I did not take varicella vaccine. Sorry, I don't have any information on that.

raksha