Vaccination during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Sri09, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Sri09

Sri09 Senior IL'ite

Hi

I have to take Tetanus vaccination now and I am in 7th month. Is it advisable to take? Also they are checking now Varicella (Chicken pox) in blood. If not they have to do for that also (but by some alternative method they said).

They asked me about my vaccination record back in India but I dont remember that.

My doctor says Tetanus vaccination is safe during pregnancy. Please give me your opinion/experiences/advise.

Thanks in advance.

2. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Yes i too had tetanus Vaccine, but i dont know abt other vaccines.

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Sri,
    Tetanus vaccine is absolutely safe in pregnancy and is a MUST to protect your baby from any risk of developing tetanus after birth (unless you have had a recent tetanus shot and your doctor says that you are protected). Varicella (chicken pox) vaccine is NOT safe during pregnancy - in fact you must not become pregnant for 1 month after taking the vaccine. They may give you the chicken pox immunoglobulin if you are not immune to chicken pox - that is safe but pls discuss with your doctor abt how necessary it is. I am not aware of American policy on this but in India we do not give this unless the mother is at high risk of contracting chicken pox.

Vanathi.

4. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Generally ob/gyns in US do not give any vaccination for pregnant women unless they are in some risk category. Even when I requested for a tetanus shot they deemed it unnecessary and did not offer me one.

-L.

5. subashinib

subashinib Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I have a doubt rgd the "Tetanus shot". I asked my Gynae abt this Vaccine.She replied that there is no need for this here in South Africa.
    But in case , if im going to deliver the baby in India , without having this vaccination., Is it safe for me & for the baby ?
    Pls clear my doubt.

Thanks in advance.

Warm Regards , suba

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Suba - If you are having the baby in India it is safer to take the TT before. The chances of you or your baby developing tetanus are very very small even in India (provided you pick a hospital with good standards of hygiene) but its not a chance I would be willing to take because the vaccine is perfectly safe and readily available. Why not talk to your OB in SA abt it if you are coming home for the divery?

Vanathi.

7. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

I had to take Tetanus vaccination for our GC process. The first thing the doctor asked me was are you pregnant or trying to get pregnant. If yes she told I wouldnt advice you to not take any vaccination. I have a friend here who also didnt take vaccination for her GC as she was pregnant.
    This is a norm here.

8. subashinib

subashinib Senior IL'ite

Hi Vanathi,

Thanks for ur immediate response.
    Well,my gynae , said a Big "NO" to the vaccine and my husband havent decided yet where to have the baby.
    So , so many things confusing me now.If im going to deliver the baby in India, i shuld be there in my 7th month ,for sure.So is it possible to have the Vaccine at that time?Sorry for bothering you again , with my silly question.I really want to be on the safer side at any cost.

Thanks again.

Warm rgds , suba

9. subashinib

subashinib Senior IL'ite

Hi Chocolate , thanks for ur reply.I really wonder why people (doc's") dont prefer this vaccine in few countries.

Thanks n rgds , suba

10. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

In a normal situation yes. But during pregnancy they dont prescribe Tetanus vaccination. I only came to know when I had to take it for immigration purpose.Otherwise we can take it anytime we want .