1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Utensils/Storage for food

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sumanr, Apr 6, 2010.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hey all

Now that LO has started solids, I am really confused on what material to use for cooking storing etc. Should all vessels be separate. Ours is a big family and people easily change what I use :((

1. Cooking - I use small utensils directly on stove. These are SS.
    2. Microwave
    3. Storing in freezerr
    4. Carrying where I go.

Please suggest good food-grade brands and types of bozes that I will need.
    I use Nuby spoons and find them very good.

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

I can understand the situation :hide:..We cannot avoid this in these kind of family system..Better we stay good from our side.You sterilize everything before use.Now-a-days you get a kit for sterilizing baby products,fetch something like that or go for manual process of heating water and cleaning in them.

Like the nuby spoons try to get the main utensils from similar brands(feeding bowls,sippy cup and so on)..obviously these will be untouched by others..These days we get good quality baby-products in chennai without any compromise..check for stores like Just-born,Naidu Hall,Mothercare,Apollo pharmacy and so on.

By the way where did you get those nuby spoons..if someone is there in U.S. to help you well and good get things through them :thumbsup

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Ramya, we used either Prime brand of m/w and freezer safe plastic that has PP5 on it and tupperware ( gifts) for food. If you can manage with SS, it is even better. No risk of BPA, phthalates, etc. I did use nuby and first step spoon and fork sets.
    For freezing I used ziplocs and small stackable m/w cups from Prime. I used a keep warm bag (actually a diaper bag) that my sister gave me for the food when we were on the road.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

everything for Z is seperate.
    in the morning i wash everything in hot water with dishwashing soap and microwave sterilize it. later for the whole day i keep it in the sterilizer itself.

for feeding i have these stackable cups from fisher price, we got at baby store. good thing about these are they are microwave n freezer safe too.
    http://www.1stbabyshop.co.uk/uploaded/products/big/do_277.jpg

we use the playtex sippy for water

and yeah the spoons we got the tommy tippie heat sensitive spoons.
    6 Heat-Sensing Spoons (4 months +) - by Tommee Tippee

for storage, i have a few of these freezer safe containers we got here locally, but they are from mothercare
    ShoppersStop.com - Small Freezer Pots

1 hv one SS vessel for making her purees, i steam veggied whenever i have time on hand. Also i have a 1 litre miniature pressure cooker separate for her. her water from the purifier is boiled, dunno why but i find it a bit of peace of mind with this double process, and we use the same vessel for boiling her water.

but for us its easy since its only me n DH and he has been warned to keep bubs vessel separate. maybe u can occupy one of the shelves,drawers for her and keep all her vessels in that, and inform the others

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  5. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Thanks Cindhu, Poonam, Tikka.
    I am doing a manual process of boiling them in a big vessel for sterlizing.
    I use SS for cooking, but I think plastic ones will be better to store, carry and feed.
    Tikka - I have seen some Prime brand plastic ware, but I do not see the PP5 on them. Any idea where we get it? Or should it be available in all big shops?
    Poonam - Will check out mothercare.
    Also ladies, can you tell me where I can get the warm bag? I have one that fits a feeding bottle, but it is useless.I will need to shuttle between home and mom's place and want to make sure the food is in good condition.

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya its available in mothercare, and online too.

7. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Ramya,

Keep your LO's vessels always seperate and wash/clean it seperately.
    I use silver cup, tumbler and spoon for him, so no worries about BPA...for preparation it is SS.
    I use pigeon brand food storage box for travel. It is good and you have place to mash apple/potato/anything...and it is microwavable too....

8. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Padmini,

Can you please let me know why one uses silver as a medium for serving and storing? One of my colleague too serves her daughter food in Silver spoon. I just got an interesting article http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&so...DmyN8J&usg=AFQjCNHAJpSs7G4uz0zNU_OOtNWLNcJfdw

Is it Silver Spoon in the Mouth Story :) ? Mommies are all of you doing the same.

9. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Lee,

Our tradition says eating anything through silver is good for health (i dont know how far, i can check with my mom and MIL and give you the full details). In our house we use to eat only in silver plates and so it continues for all LO's utensils. Only I know the pain of cleaning it:hide:...
    I shl tel u the full description soon...:)

10. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Padmi,

How do you clean it? Just my inquisitive mind needs to know.