1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

using diapers in india

Discussion in 'Infants' started by mitsviki, Jul 11, 2010.

1. mitsviki

mitsviki Senior IL'ite

Hello mommies.

I was wondering if mommies in india use diapers.Sorry if i sound ignorant.

Poonam i am not sure if you will read this but you have given a very detailed explanation on cloth diapering.

My in laws are hell bent on us not using diapers inindia...some of my friends says it is good to use diapers even india.

I am not sure what to do , I am moving back to india and was thinkng of carrying some diapers back home.

Suggetsionplease

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Mitsviki,

Well, parenting of infants/toddlers and hygiene practices are quite the same in India and in other parts of the world, given a similar set of parents. By his I mean, that most parents in India would use diapers (disposable or reusable), if they have similar hygiene systems. A mom living in a slum may not, but another mom (working or housewife, urban or rural) may use them, if she has the awareness and financial means.

The climatic condition also influences the decision.

My son is six months old. When he was a new born, we were strongly advised not to use any disposable diapers.So, we used reusable cloth diapers. This meant changing every ten minutes, but it kept him comfortable. When visitors came to see him, we would tie a disposable diaper, just to make sure that he did not wet their clothes.But would remove it as soon as they left.

A couple of months later, we started using cloth diapers with Johnson nappy pads stuck on them. We changed every hour, or whenever it became soggy. This made it easier and cleaner.

I still follow the same pattern. It is a new cloth diaper and pad every hour. By now his daily routine is pretty predictable. If he is going on a long nap, I tie a disposable diaper which also, I do not keep for more than two hours. Same at night. At every change, we wipe him with warm water, apply Johnson powder, and then tie a new diaper.

Also very advisable to give free time both in morning and night.

In India, if the disposable diaper is not changed regularly, it can cause fungal infection since the urine stays in contact with the skin. Diaper rash can also occur. But with mindful precautions, they can be controlled.

I dont think it is necessary to carry diapers from abroad. The Pampers that I get in a small town like Trivandrum are imported from Dubai or UK. I buy these in the govt fair price shops, they are easily available. Johnson nappy pads are also readily available. Maybe you could carry a couple of packs, but obviously, you cannot stock for as long as your baby needs them. And it is not necessary too.

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

mitsviki, vidya has said it all!
    u need not carry diapers here, india is not all that retrograde and underdeveloped as people think!

however if u wish to bring fancy cloth diapers, u can from the US, fancy cloth diapers are a rarity here... u either get fancy langots these days or plastic pants or disposable diapers...

where we live now, water is hard and i am not cloth diapering anymore, we are into full time disposables for DD ..... and i must say the pampers here that we get are imported either from dubai or some other asian countries.... are good.
    no matter wat u use, its necessary to give ur baby enough diaper free time.

4. mitsviki

mitsviki Senior IL'ite

hey

thanks mommies....i know india is now a different india...so no issues..

i shall take it easy than....

sorry poonam i think i asked the same question else where tooo.....ignore that

5. prakrutiram

prakrutiram New IL'ite

hi friends,

I use disposable diapers for my 10 mnth baby in the night and when i take her out. In how many hrs i shud change the diaper and do i have change diaper in between the night also,becoz i put diaper at 11.00 pm and keep it till 8.30 am in the mrng.Is this ok? Or shud i change? Wat all of u are doing?

Plz tell me how many hrs i can use 1 diaper though it is not spoiled?

I am in India so plz suggest accordingly.

thanks.
    prakruti

6. simply_doubtful

simply_doubtful Gold IL'ite

hi prakruthi
    i don't think you should keep the diaper on for such a long time. my lil one is 18 days old and i keep changing his diaper as soon as he wets or when he poops.
    Hansika

7. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I use Huggies overnight diapers (not the regular ones) for my son during nights. He sleeps through the night so the diaper is on from 9 PM -7 AM. Sometimes he wakes up at 5 AM then I change his diaper otherwise I don't change till morning.
    But I live in the U.S so may be that makes a difference!!

If you get overnight diapers then may be you can use them. Overnight diapers have gel which absorb lot of pee.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  8. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Sposies - we use huggies dry comfort, overnight. From 8.45pm to 7.30am. He pees less when he is sleeping well. If he wakes up, he is playful in the midnight, we change him. He might pee more than usual then.
    Cloth diapers - we use bum genuis 3.0. when they are in wash, we use huggies. We leave them overnight. Works superb.

9. prakrutiram

prakrutiram New IL'ite

hi Vishalini,

thanks for answering i knw about huggies dry comfort.But wat is bum genuis 3.0.i have no idea.are they available everywhere in india?

prakruti

10. prakrutiram

prakrutiram New IL'ite

hi,

Thanks all of u for answering.Sudha we dnt get any thing like overnite diapers india.i wish we could get them here also.Yes as u all said i can change when she gets up in between the nite or early mrng which i do sometimes.

Plz also tell me during day time if i am using disposable diapers how many hrs i shud keep 1 diaper?

i follow 3 hr time is it fine for day time.

thanks all
    prakruti

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010